Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-01-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
Every thread about a new boat purchase advises the buyer to conisder the dealer as a major factor befor forking out the cash. Please provide me examples and experieces with Cope and McPheatres in Rocklin CA.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2005, 12:59 AM Reply   
Glad you asked , when i went there to check on a 06 X2 the salesman was cool but his hands were tied he said no info or pricing for a few weeks,after two weeks or so I went to Ski World Santa Rosa and while I was there I got a price and a delivery date . Next Iwalked outside and called Cope and still no info avaiable on this boat which I found intersting considering I stood in the office and listened to Dave @ Ski World get the info from the Master Craft rep .So I gave Ski World a deposit and a signed contract and went on my way .Another three weeks pass and i get a call from Copes saying we can order that boat as of today and it was three weeks from my delvery date.I told them no thanx I ordered one from Ski World well long story short Cope did every thing he could to stop the sale of my boat because I lived in Vacaville and that is his territory .So after they settled there dispute my delivery date was not affected but here is the pisser I ordered a Extreme Trailer on my own from Eddie the owner at Extreme like I have done in the past and cope had the order cancelled because he is a Northern Ca rep for Extreme thru Malibu , The only way I could get a Extreme now was to pay full retail and purchase it thru Cope so I bought a Ellis instead , The sales guys are cool but the management sucks I would never set foot in the Rocklin store again and they werent even close on the price if it was my money I would call Dave @ ski world usa in Santa Rosa
Old    djjstylz            11-02-2005, 3:10 AM Reply   
Sounds like nothing but HATRED! HATERAID! If you can't get the boat in time, or know nothing about it,why hate on the customer? He is just trying to get a new boat A.S.A.P. Obviously they used the trailer as an issue for not being able to provide the service from the beginning. Get with it or get out! I love hearing stories like this because the only way to get rid of these problems is to avoid their service, doesn't matter if it's a car a boat a bed or Electronics, what ever it is support the love, avoid the HATE!
Old    djjstylz            11-02-2005, 3:11 AM Reply   
By the way, hope you enjoy the GREAT BOAT!!!!!
Old    robertt            11-02-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
You mean that they actually tried to stop you from getting your boat!!!!! I would have went ballistic. This dealer monopoly stuff is crap. I understand that a dealer covers a certain area, but if I drive to your town and want to buy a boat on the spot, there is no way they can tell me I cant.

Did they really think that they could earn your business by behaving that way?
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
They were trying to Force the sale thru C/M Marine in Rocklin, I called Tennesse and told them if the sale didnt go thru Ski World I was getting a SAN lol he did stop the trailer .
(Message edited by mitchj on November 02, 2005)

Old    robertt            11-02-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
I know, but its still not right. If they would have forced that, I would have bought another manufacturers boat. The dealer is a huge factor to me, they can make or break a boat. I own a Mastercraft, and of course think they are the best. However, lets be honest, the subtle differences between a Nautique, Bu, or MC are small compared to the bliss or nightmares a good or bad dealer can provide.

Again, I understand that all manufacturers try to protect their dealers by giving them strict territories, but I personally think it is WAY wrong to disallow a customer to purchase from another dealer.

Think about it, if you were MC corporate, and a person is so loyal to your brand that they are willing to drive long hours to another dealership to buy your brand, I would let that person buy what they dang well want.

I would get to the bottom of why a sane person is willing to do that, it is clearly a dealer issue.

Personally, I would have probably bought a BU if that happened to me.

If my dealer switches to another brand, to be honest I will probably follow. I have had my dealer on my lift, at 5:00am more than once making sure everything was perfect.

As an example, about a month ago I saw the owner of the dealership going down to my dock very early in the morning. I brought down a cup of coffee, and watched for a minute as he went over things with a fine tooth comb. He was diagnosing a glitch with perfect pass, and while he was at it he checked the shaft alignment and taught me how to do it properly.

All for free, all without being asked.

Thats what I mean by a dealer is more important than brand.

Just my opinion, but I would be pissed.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
M/C headquarters was awsome to talk to even though they gave me very little info about the situatuion they acted in a very profesional manner and would buy another boat from M/C tommorrow .M/C had no control over the trailer as I bought it on my own .As far as the dealer goes Ski World has sold me two boats and it has been awsome both times .
Old    robertt            11-02-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
A similar situation happened to me actually. When I was first looking to buy an inboard, I just couldn't justify 40+ grand as I didn't even board yet.

I looked on ebay, and found a Malibu sportster for like 14 grand brand new (04). Granted, its a very low priced boat to begin with but it was a screaming deal. I went to the local dealer, and asked for the same boat that he had on the lot. He quoted me 27k. I laughed, and asked him if he would consider selling it to me for the written quote I received from another dealer in another state. He said no, and that I couldn't buy from him if I wanted to, and that his price is his price if I wanted a Malibu in this area.

He just knew that he had me.

I left, and bought a brand new X series Mastercraft one hour later, largely out of spite.

Just pisses me off.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-02-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
I was in the rocklin office (cope) last year and all the saleman could do was bad mouth all the other brands, he could NOT give me any reason to purchase one of his boats his his inflated prices. I clearly stated I had visited all other dealorships in Sacramento and surrounding areas, Demo'd boats rode behind friends boats with additional ballast etc. I was very through in my search, so last last thing I was searching for was customer support. Not only did I get good support feeling from my dealorship, but also "great support" from Scott Pelaton the Rep for the Co.

I found that most boats out there are great, its just a matter of BLING, PRICE, and whats a right fit for you. The example's you have been given by the others show you its a cut throat business, but there are honest people you just have to find them.

But since you live in my neighborhood me give a holla 300-8176.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-02-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
I had a similar experience to Kenny. When will sales people understand that ripping on other boats and talking to you like your nuts for even comparing another boat to the one they are selling will only turn off the customer? That is exactly why I will not go to back Ski World Pleasanton, or Central Valley Marine in Campbell. Talk about some boats snobs! They completely turned me off when shopping.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-02-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
who did you talk to at the pleasanton store machew>? those guys should know better than to do that.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-02-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
Cant win em all.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-02-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
So Let me understand this, A dealership can get in the way or stop the sale of your purchase if you didnt buy it from your "home" dealership?
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-02-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
no they cannot, they can try but as far as i understand they can threaten things like this but wont succeed in doing so something to do with monopolies and it being illegal as far as controlling price that way the only reason we recommend that you use your local dealer is because if you need service or warranty work it is far to drive to get your boat in at the shop where you bought it and if you take it to the shop where you didnt buy it you get pushed to the back of the line and they will take their time fixing your boat it is just easier to be serviced efficiently by your local dealer but if you have gotten the run around from them its critical to weigh the serverity of the run around vs how far you will have to drive to get your boat serviced and warrantied.

(Message edited by bigworm on November 02, 2005)

(Message edited by bigworm on November 02, 2005)
Old    swass            11-02-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
I challenge you to read that aloud without passing out. Periods are a good thing.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-02-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Well the sucky thing is that if a dealer sells out of territory they forfeit the profit to the dealer in the buyers territory. Theoretically that is. So the only reason to do so is loyalty to the customer. Its is normally not a problem any where except california and florida just because in other states there is not such a concentration of dealers.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Good stuff guys... Joe, did they charge you extra to custom order your boat Orange? Cope told me that if I were to custom order an X-1 it would be a 2K premium over the boats they had coming it. Is this standard or are they messsing with me? Also, any good reviews for Cope in Rocklin?
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
There was no charge . Once again I have no knowledge of the new X1 pricing . " if there was any price for it I was not aware at the time of order because I asked for it all orange and didnt ask if it was a option"

Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-02-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
Norm,
I don't remember, just a shorter guy dark hair, liked to use the word "pimp" a lot.
My point is that if you put a lot of time (6 months) into choosing a $50,000+ boat, you get a chance to visit many dealerships and drive plenty of boats. When you are done only the very best and the very worst experiences will stick in your mind and Ski World was the worst. I think he even referred to a Malibu as the Kia or Hundai of the boat world. I know that there is a MC/Malibu rivalry, but that one was over the top. The big 3 and their dealerships should keep in mind that there are plenty of other boat manufacturers making great products of high quality. In addition, many salespeople have not had the recent luxury of taking a factory tour of other boat makers facilities! This puts them at a disadvantage when beginning to attack the competition with false statements. Honesty in a dealership and company was what I looked for. I didn't find it at Ski World.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
When I was at cope the sales guy (don't remember his name) was real nice but bashed the b-52 and the calabria pro-v as well as the centurions... that kind of turned me off. Tell my why your boat is great not why others suck! If I didn't have a career I would move into boats sales and probably make a decent living! Thanks Joe for the comments!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-02-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Oh by the way,
I bought a rope at Ski World Santa Rosa, going up to Lake Sonoma- great guys, knowledgeable staff, just too far from Disco.
Totally different experience!
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
The Bigworm rocks
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-03-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
thanks joe, machew i work at ski world santa rosa, im the manager of the proshop and pretty much the only one that works in the dept. i probably have met you and dont even know it i had a bad motorcycle accident so it makes it hard to remember stuff but if you come in again be sure to mention something so i will remember. thanks for the props!

btw i know exactly who you talked to i was standing next to him when he was talking that way about malibu at the boat show last year. it really bothers me... when i was in the market for a car a couple months ago the guy trying to sell me an evo kept saying that the wrx wasnt a good car, i bought the wrx, so i totally understand how you feel... just tell me why the product is good not why the other product is bad...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-03-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
I am going to second the attitude stated by Machew on the central valley marine guys. I went in there with my father looking at the nautiques and the guy pretty much bashed every other brand to death. He also took several jabs referring to "I must not be a good enough wakeboarder to tell the difference between a nautique and other boats". I was just about ready to fight at that point. Then he asked the best scenario question in the world... Who's buying the boat? My dad simply replied with "my son". He was floored, and I walked away chuckling while he continually tried to push the sale.

Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-04-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
that is great
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
Nautique dealers are awesome with that kind of stuff. The local one told a friend of mine (female) that she would look really good in a Nautique and the same dealer went on to explain to me what a "propeller" was. Too funny, just because we were women we got talked to like we were idiots and couldn't possibly be making a decision about what boat to buy.
Some dealers don't realize that yes, sometimes women do have an opinion on things and kids can have a huge say in what boat the family ultimately purchases.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
Did Cope purchase Ski World?
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-05-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
no they did not. i guess im gonna be the one to end that rumor. c&m did not buy ski world usa.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       11-05-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
Interesting. I know that these guys at the Rocklin store read this stuff...so what do you have to say guys...put up some defence, or suffer the consequences.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-06-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
I purchased a new boat at ski world in pleasanton a few years ago and had a great experience there. This is the first time I've ever read anything bad about those guys. Maybe the staff has changed.
I was at C&M 3 or so weeks ago and left my name and # with a sales guy there to call me when a new x-2 came in so I could look at it, still haven't heard anything.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-07-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
I have not personally dealt with copes on any major purchases (just boards and such). But I must say that Jeff, from the santa clara store is awesome. I dont know if he is in charge of any boat purchases, warranties, etc. but he has been great to me. If I had the funds I would deal with him everytime I buy something. I am a end of season discount buyer (college student) who comes in pretty often just to look. I probably buy things maybe 1 out of 5 visits (mostly a dvd here and there). He still treats me great and always has time to say hello.