Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Anybody read this one?

http://www.thefoxnation.com/american...-cinco-de-mayo

“They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it’s supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today,” said Daniel Galli, in an interview with the KTVU in San Francisco."

I understand the logic behind this but certainly don't agree with it. I don't care if it's Cinco De Mayo, St. Patrick's day or what - if you're n the U.S., there is no day where you or any students shouldn't be allowed to display t-shirts or other similar displays of patriotism. If someone in this country is offended by that, they really ought to leave and go back and live where they're 'from'.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
1. cinco de mayo isn't even celebrated in most of mexico
2. ridiculous that they were asked to not wear it
3. you know those kids had other motives for wearing it that day
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-06-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
it's pretty simple, dont let any kids where any clothing with any other nations flag on it, anyday of the year. if this school is so sensitive to the feelings of mexican-americans on cinco de mayo, then every other day should be celebrated as an American holiday.
any surprise this happened in the Bay area?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
any surprise this happened in the Bay area?
Haha, yup.... they've become so intolerant of intolerance that they have overcompensated. The kid next to me in class right now served in the Army for like 10 years and said the kids who complained should be deported.... legal or not.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Ridiculous but what does anyone ever expect from the Bay Area?? I am surprised they didn't make them burn their American Flag t-shirts in the gym then watch The Alamo and force them to cheer for the Mexicans.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-06-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post
i am surprised they didn't make them burn their american flag t-shirts in the gym then watch the alamo and force them to cheer for the mexicans.

lmao!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-06-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
The parents need to take action against the assistant principal. If he can act outside school policy and send students home, then he can be held liable for it in court. I would love to see this guy lose his gravy government job over this crap.

There should never be any day, any time, anywhere, in the United States of America, that anyone is ashamed or ridiculed or harassed, or disciplined for displaying the American Flag.
Attached Images

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-06-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
fail
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Not saying this was right, but the Principle, in my opinion of course, was looking out for the best interest for all the students, especially those sent home. He probably prevented any time of escalation or altercation, and this was probably the easiest route to do so. They got sent home, what high schooler doesn't want that?
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-06-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
I was almost one of those parents a few years back. When my son was in high school. On Cinco de Mayo day 2006 some of the mexicans students were wearing the mexican flag bandanas, and nothing was said to them. So my son put on his American flag bandana. He was told to take it off because there are no hats or head gear allowed in class. He told his teacher, " he was well aware of the rule and was willing to remove his bandana as long as the Mexican student in class would remove his, after all a rule is a rule and should apply to everyone." The teacher had to agree and the other student had to remove his.
Derek was lucky that he didn't get in trouble, and the teacher agreed with him. If he had been punished i would have had to fight it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
was looking out for the best interest for all the students
Did the Mexican-American kids remember where they were going to school?!?!
Next people will not be able to wear USA gear on St. Patty's Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc etc

The parents should try and take them to court..... When people cannot wear the colors of their own country, in that country, because someone with recent ancestors from another country complains.... that is a problem, and really reflects poorly on Mexican-Americans....the students that felt violated should be apologizing
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
"the students that felt violated should be apologizing"

And then maybe going to live in their 'home' country as soon as they're legal adults.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-06-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
The district needs to fire the Principal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
1. cinco de mayo isn't even celebrated in most of mexico
It's only celebrated in the state of Puebla. In America it's just another reason to drink..

Quote:
2. ridiculous that they were asked to not wear it
So much for freedom of expression.. We're hostages in our own country.

Quote:
3. you know those kids had other motives for wearing it that day
Yeah - they're proud to be American... by the way don't even think about driving an American car on Cinco De Mayo.. jeeezzzz!

I bet most of the kids at the school whining about this don't even know when the real Mexican independence day is!

@bg__dereks_mom - respect to your son for standing up for our country!

@lifetimewarranty - Well put!!!! If they don't like then they can go south or north.. enjoy! "There should never be any day, any time, anywhere, in the United States of America, that anyone is ashamed or ridiculed or harassed, or disciplined for displaying the American Flag."
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-06-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
There was a reason that the pricipal handled the situation this way, but it was wrong on many levels. America has become wayyy to PC. It's shameful.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Did the Mexican-American kids remember where they were going to school?!?!
Next people will not be able to wear USA gear on St. Patty's Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc etc

The parents should try and take them to court..... When people cannot wear the colors of their own country, in that country, because someone with recent ancestors from another country complains.... that is a problem, and really reflects poorly on Mexican-Americans....the students that felt violated should be apologizing
Did you read my first sentence man? All I'm saying is, the Principle's job is to keep the students safety as a main priority. Not that it was right, but it probably was for the best in regards to the safety of the students, specifically those wearing the clothes. The Principle did probably one a few scenarios that kept everyone from any type of escalated event. It's a political animal, there's no easy way around this type of thing. Do I think it's messed up? Yes. Do I think the Principe still did a good job keeping his/her students safe? Yep. What would the story be if he/she hadn't sent them home, and they were confronted after school? That's also the Principle's liability.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-06-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
I am going to be sure to tell my kids that they can get a free day off of school every May 5th!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
All I'm saying is, the Principle's job is to keep the students safety as a main priority
So he should punish the kid wearing a USA shirt or the kids willing to beat his ass for wearing that shirt......

If the kid was wearing a shirt with the flag and writing that said, "GO BACK HOME (enter some slang for Mexican)" -- punish that kid, but honestly if a Mexican American kid cannot realize the country he lives in has a freedom of speech and is more proud of the mother land, enough so to pick a fight with a white kid, he should be the one punished.

The crazy baptist people show up with "GOD HATES FAGS" signs and no one does anything, but someone punches one of them THEY get punished, why would this school, this minority group be treated any different.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
You're right. Allow them to get beat up so then they weren't the one's that got sent home. Sticky situation no matter how you line it up. Hopefully this will be understood, I do not agree with it, but I still think the Principle had few choices, all of which would make the news, and had to choose one. He chose to not have a fight in or after school.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I am going to be sure to tell my kids that they can get a free day off of school every May 5th!
That's more like it! Kids will be following this suit, Hollister's #1 selling Fall clothing will be American Flags. It will be a good thing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Allow them to get beat up so then they weren't the one's that got sent home
It clearly could have been handled before anyone was actually hit.... I'm saying there was clearly two groups:
1. White kids wearing flag stuff
2. Offended Mexican-AMERICANS

Group 1 instigated....but lets face it, everything that happens offends someone some way.... and in this case, offeneding someone by wearing the flag of your country isn't all that bad.
Group 2 was (from how the article makes things sound) was ready to fight/use violence to stop them....

In my eyes, if I was a principal, one was clearly more at fault. I get sending kids home because shirts with alcohol/drugs/sex on them, or something clearly offensive.... but they had RED WHITE AND BLUE ON in America....... and they were in the wrong? MAybe there is more to the story like the white kids being pricks about it or something, but from the limited knowledge I know of this, they really did nothing wrong besides get dressed in certain attire on the wrong day.

This WOULD NOT happen in Arizona..... just kidding, but seriously.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-06-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
It begins.........the further pussification of America.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Seriously Nick, I totally agree. Wouldnt that be a "Hate Crime" if they beat up kids wearing the stars and stripes? Then again they were white so there is no such thing as a hate crime against white people. (sarcasm).
Old     (2lilwakeboarders)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-06-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
So what would happen to a Mexican kid that was wearing a t-shirt with the Mexican flag on the 4th of July? - Obsolutely nothing
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-06-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilwakeboarders View Post
So what would happen to a Mexican kid that was wearing a t-shirt with the Mexican flag on the 4th of July? - Obsolutely nothing
well hopefully, no one will be in school, so it should be a non issue. thankfully, most american holidays are off days for school. when they decide to make cinco de mayo, or mexican independence national holidays here, then you know we are done for.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-06-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Reminds me of the time I got sent home for wearing a beanie to school back in the day. The bottom line is, no matter what the student's motives are/were, this is the U.S. and we have the right to freedom of speech/expression..etc. I mean come on, yeah Cinco de Mayo is pretty much just another excuse to pound a few with the homies. As is St. Patty's Day and pretty much any other holiday out there. That's what makes this country so great and we need to celebrate each others differences, or at the very least tolerate them.

Tell you what, let me know what Mexicano gets overly sensitive because the U.S. flag is being displayed (on any given day) and I'll personally put them in CHECK!!!. So enough with the B.S. already!!! Live and let live.... Salud....

Tony
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-06-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
If the Assistant Principal sent them home for American Flags to protect them, then the Assistant Principal must know that some of the Mexican students at his school are a bunch of intolerant racist thugs.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
My stance is this, if kids are doing something that is clearly designed to antagonize other classmates, I have no issue with the school asking you to change.

I assume these fashionistas were regularly showing up to school wearing United States of America flags as shirts and hats, usually coordinating that so they could stand out in a crowd.....so by this rational, I have no idea why they were ask to change...
Old    deltahoosier            05-06-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
So, wearing your countries flag in your country is antagonizing mexicans? I think if this antagonized anyone, the kids who were "antagonized" should have been thrown out of school.

I think it is offensive to even celebrate the 5th of May in the name of Mexican anything.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
Honestly Rod, if this was the Friday before Easter and 4-5 kids were sent home from school and ask to change their shirts proclaiming "King of the Jews", bandanna's of crown of thorns, sharpied hands and liver......would you be outraged?

What if the shirts just said INRI.....that would fly by 98% of the people in the school....maybe more....

Honest question.... 4-5 kids dress up in a conscious effort to make a statement about the historical resurrection of Jesus Christ.... Is it something the school should address or just let play out as kids expressing their right to free speech?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2010, 9:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
Honest question.... 4-5 kids dress up in a conscious effort to make a statement about the historical resurrection of Jesus Christ.... Is it something the school should address or just let play out as kids expressing their right to free speech?
4-5 kids coordinate to come to school the Friday before Easter with shirts that have a Jewish Star on the front and say "JESUS WAS A FALSE MESSIAH " on the back.....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
4-5 kids coordinate to come to school the Friday before Easter with shirts that have a Jewish Star on the front and say "JESUS WAS A FALSE MESSIAH " on the back.....
January 17th 2011 4-5 kids come to school wearing "Thomas Hagan Shot the Wrong Political Activist" shirts....
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2010, 4:26 AM Reply   
"I think it is offensive to even celebrate the 5th of May in the name of Mexican anything."

That settles it, you are an intolerant bigot.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
There are certainly limits to the freedom of speech as far as what kids can wear that might be offensive. The American flag just shouldn't be one of them - on any day.

"I think it is offensive to even celebrate the 5th of May in the name of Mexican anything."

This country was founded on immigrants. We have citizens of all nationalities, and celebrating the different cultures and holidays of those people is part of what makes our country great.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-07-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think it is offensive to even celebrate the 5th of May in the name of Mexican anything.
LOL. I have heard it all now. Well I think its offensive to celebrate St. Patricks day.

Quote:
This country was founded on immigrants. We have citizens of all nationalities, and celebrating the different cultures and holidays of those people is part of what makes our country great.
Exactly.
Old    deltahoosier            05-07-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
E.J. - I would not care enough to have someone sent home. Why would I care. I can look at someone and think they are ignorant and let them carry on. I have to do that everyday and so do you. If not, we as a society would not even be able to drive into work without being in a fight. You pretty much see those type of shirts and crap nearly every day. You hear that crap in passing all the time and certainly see that type of thing post on here nearly every day. What would be different? You really think anyone who lives in this country should be offend at our flag regardless of the reason's behind wearing it? Really? Has liberalism really brought us to this? That is why Savage calls liberalism a mental disorder.

Jeremy. Pretty strong words bud. I am a bigot for not wanting to celebrate a MEXICAN holiday? You are deep down the hole of liberalism aren't you. Why would I want to celebrate a holiday of Mexico winning one battle against the French of who they owed a debt too? Of course the French were just trying to use the debt excuse to expand their empire, but, a debt none the less. Even thought they won the battle on that 5th of May, the French ultimately won the war until the US finished the civil war then went down and helped kick the French out.

Funny how you people can't understand a basic fact. Why would it not be offense for foreign invaders, that are sponsored by the president of the invading country, to come to our country and demand citizenship and benefits? They demand all this and then want to get offended if an American citizen wants to wear a American Flag shirt on a day that is for a MEXICAN battle? You are not offended by this? Why would I want to celebrate a Mexican holiday and why would that be bigoted to not want to celebrate a Mexican holiday? If you want to call the 5th of May as just a day to drink then fine, but, don't give me this business that we should be sensitive to Mexican's in America who want to celebrate a Mexican holiday (not an American one). So sensitive in fact that we have stop being an AMERICAN during that day to keep them from rioting? And I'm the bigot? You have zero common sense. I guess that is what passes for liberal these days.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-07-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
I agree with how you put that, Delta...hopefully others can see the "sense" in what was said, but common sense and the ability to see clearly is often shadowed by emotion. Sad that people just resort to the name calling thing though.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahoosier View Post
E.J. - I would not care enough to have someone sent home. Why would I care. I can look at someone and think they are ignorant and let them carry on. I have to do that everyday and so do you. If not, we as a society would not even be able to drive into work without being in a fight. You pretty much see those type of shirts and crap nearly every day. You hear that crap in passing all the time and certainly see that type of thing post on here nearly every day. What would be different? You really think anyone who lives in this country should be offend at our flag regardless of the reason's behind wearing it? Really? Has liberalism really brought us to this? That is why Savage calls liberalism a mental disorder.
We are not talking about out on the street, public places....we are talking about a school. Again, IMO, there is no place for being antagonistic at school. Do what you want on your own time. When kids are in school....it is not their own time....

It has nothing to do with being a liberal or conservative....

We can agree to disagree.... I will not try to convince you to come to my way of thinking. Just wanted to put a different perspective out there....

As far as Mr. Savage....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
We are not talking about out on the street, public places....we are talking about a school
10 to 1 says it was a PUBLIC SCHOOL
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
10 to 1 says it was a PUBLIC SCHOOL
Huh.....

Do you think because it has the word "public" in it, it is like a park or street corner?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...-93065324.html

School District: Flag Clothing Incident "Extremely Unfortunate"
Morgan Hill high school under national microscope
By JESSICA GREENE
Updated 9:17 AM PDT, Fri, May 7, 2010

NBC Bay Area Some parents of students at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill are keeping their kids home from school after tension related to an incident involving students wearing American flag clothing on Cinco de Mayo spilled out onto the streets.

The students wore T-shirts depicting the flag to school on Wednesday. Administrators told the boys the clothes could be "incendiary" and asked them turn the shirts inside-out or face suspension. The boys refused so they were sent home.

The controversy quickly spread over the Internet and became national news.

Now, the school district is sending a message to parents about the heated issue, assuring them that students will not be suspended, and that students are allowed to wear patriotic clothing.

The message was delivered from Superintendent Wesley Smith through both a letter and a voicemail. Here is the full text:

Good evening. This is Dr. Wesley Smith, Superintendent of the Morgan Hill Unified School District. The Morgan Hill Unified School District does not prohibit nor do we discourage wearing patriotic clothing. The incident on May 5 at Live Oak High School is extremely unfortunate. While campus safety is our primary concern and administrators made decisions yesterday in an attempt to ensure campus safety, students should not, and will not, be disciplined for wearing patriotic clothing. This situation and our response are under review.

We know that this is an emotionally charged topic. We would ask you to encourage your students to be safe and focus on their academics while in school. If conversations and/or activities are necessary to express their feelings on this issue, we will find appropriate venues that do not disturb student learning or jeopardize the safety of our students. Furthermore, we encourage everyone to demonstrate respect for each other, open communication, and responsibility.

Thank you for your support and understanding.
Dr. Wesley Smith
Superintendent

On Thursday, about 200 Mexican-American students walked out of class in protest of the flag clothing incident. Members of the group waved the Mexican flag and said they were marching for respect and unity. They also demanded the school suspend the boys who wore the U.S. flag-adorned clothing.

As a result of this heated debate, other Bay Area schools by the name of Live Oak have been threatened. The Live Oak School District in Santa Cruz County has received several calls from people angry about the issue, even though they are in no way involved in the Morgan Hill school's issue. That district's superintendent believes it's just a same-name misunderstanding and lack of clarity in reporting the school's location.

Administrators at Live Oak High School in Sutter County say they've also recieved violent threats. The sheriff there is concerned that a person who threatened to shoot up the school or plant a bomb may follow through.

The story has sparked an outcry from groups and individuals across the country, including a high school student in Yorktown, Va., who created a Facebook page titled "I support the 5 students from Morgan Hill high school." As of Friday morning, the fast-growing group had more than 1,850 members.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-07-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
The school board stated that the assist priciple was wrong. Good point brought up. The assist principle told the kids they could not wear the clothes because the kids celebrating Cinco De Mayo would cause trouble. That sounds racist to me !!! That school as 12.5% english as second language which means there a lot of mexicans there. 2 of the 5 kids wearing the american flags were 1/2 mexican. The assist priciple last name is Rodreguez or something like that. The kids stated that they wear their american flag shirts about once a week at school. They were sitting at the lunch table when the VP told them to turm their shirts inside out or go to the office. One kid did reverse his shirt ,and the others were sent home. One kid was wearing american flag pants, so i guess he would have had to walk around school in his whitey tighties and one kid had a bandana.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
the American supporting kids ought to organize and "march" also

this wouldn't happen un Arizona......or in Farmers Branch,Tx
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-07-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
I guess they won't be geting latina sugar.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahoosier View Post
If you want to call the 5th of May as just a day to drink then fine, but, don't give me this business that we should be sensitive to Mexican's in America who want to celebrate a Mexican holiday (not an American one). So sensitive in fact that we have stop being an AMERICAN during that day to keep them from rioting? And I'm the bigot? You have zero common sense. I guess that is what passes for liberal these days.
Couldn't have said it any better.

And I disagree EJ, it may not be a transparent political agenda but its a political mindset of having to be politically correct to all minorities no matter the costs or burdens it imposes on the true Americans; those who only have an allegiance to better THIS country, not Mexico. This mindset is so avidly pushed by the left and is prevalent throughout the bay area, i'm sick of this sh*t.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Do you think because it has the word "public" in it, it is like a park or street corner?
No but it should be treated the same.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneng View Post
The school board stated that the assist priciple was wrong. Good point brought up. The assist principle told the kids they could not wear the clothes because the kids celebrating Cinco De Mayo would cause trouble. That sounds racist to me !!! That school as 12.5% english as second language which means there a lot of mexicans there. 2 of the 5 kids wearing the american flags were 1/2 mexican. The assist priciple last name is Rodreguez or something like that. The kids stated that they wear their american flag shirts about once a week at school. They were sitting at the lunch table when the VP told them to turm their shirts inside out or go to the office. One kid did reverse his shirt ,and the others were sent home. One kid was wearing american flag pants, so i guess he would have had to walk around school in his whitey tighties and one kid had a bandana.
Link to any of that?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Wow, i never understood how some schools can permit the MEChA group to exist. Not surprising that Morgan Hill pays for this club....

"Essentially, we are a Chicana and Chicano student movement directly linked to Aztlán. As Chicanas and Chicanos of Aztlán, we are a nationalist movement of Indigenous people that lay claim to the land that is ours by birthright. As a nationalist movement we seek to free our people from the exploitation of an oppressive society that occupies our land. Thus, the principle of nationalism serves to preserve the cultural traditions of La Familia de La Raza and promotes our identity as a Chicana/Chicano Gente. "

Further proof that Mexican immigrants have NO INTENTION of assimilating or respecting the our culture, they spit all over it.
Old    deltahoosier            05-07-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Now now Taylor. Don't bring up those facts in regard to La Raza (the Race). The liberal mind can't process that one.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-07-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
imagine how bad mecha is on universitys and community colleges all over our great land as well?
and I am the racist?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
No but it should be treated the same.
So I should just be able to walk into a local high school, throw down a blanket and have a picnic?

Kids should be able to show up without shoes or shirts?

PDA's are no big deal.....

Bring your dog to school, make sure you have a leash.....

No, they should not be treated the same....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
So I should just be able to walk into a local high school, throw down a blanket and have a picnic?
Are you trying to be stupid?

I'm saying that if I'm a member of society hangin out in a park the same basic rules should apply to me in school.....
and since I know you'll say somthing like, "SO EVERYONE CAN JUST TALK IN SCHOOL WHEN THEY WANT?!" I'll clear it up for you.

Clearly school's will have rules the park will not have.... and clearly they are they to increase the learning process but have stupid **** rules like sending someone home for a USA shirt would NOT happen in a park, and SHOULD NOT happen anywhere in the country..... I feel the same way that if a Mexican-American student had summer school with a bunch of white kids and wore a "Viva La Mexico" on the 4th of July that would be fine too.... just as if he was to wear it to a park.

If any child in that district can go to that school, just as they could go to a park in the area, things should be the same. (Again don't bring up talking in class and hats and **** because that would just waste more of our time)... those rules are universal at schools and have a legit purpose.

Do you honestly feel that a public school isn't a public place?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardertj View Post
And I disagree EJ, it may not be a transparent political agenda but its a political mindset of having to be politically correct to all minorities no matter the costs or burdens it imposes on the true Americans; those who only have an allegiance to better THIS country, not Mexico. This mindset is so avidly pushed by the left and is prevalent throughout the bay area, i'm sick of this sh*t.
My point has nothing to do with the Mexico/USA issue, which is why I brought up other scenarios.... AGAIN, IMO, if a group of kids purposely tries to antagonize another group of kids at school, it should be dealt with. I don't care if it is race, religion, sex...whatever....

I just don't think there is a place in school for these types of "demonstrations." I personally think the clothing was a demonstration. If they want to go home and fly 10 American flags at their house, drink Budweiser, play Hank W. and eat hamburgers....great..... Celebrating Cinco de Mayo isn't about bettering Mexico.... Think when I came home on Wednesday and had taco night and a few beers it had anything to do with my wanting to better Mexico or my lack of love for my own Country? It had nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.....

Anyway...the end result was exactly what they wanted......
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Are you trying to be stupid?

Do you honestly feel that a public school isn't a public place?
No....not trying to be stupid....

....and you are correct, I do not think that a public school is a public place.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-07-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
This is exactly why so many schools have had to resort to wearing uniforms.
Because of the fact that it is a public school that doesn't have a uniform policy, I believe these kids had every right to wear their American Flag clothing. I am sure the school has some sort of dress code, and if these shirts were not in violation of that dress code the kids should not be punished in any way. They did not break any rules. Unless it is proven that they were intentionally trying to start trouble ( which I have not seen reported) there is nothing that could be done to them without violating their civil rights. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-07-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
I remember going to school in 8th grade with a condom on my shirt. It had a winking smiley face and was holding a fishing pole. Below the condom read "Nice catch!"
They made me take it off. Nothing much to do with this thread but still funny to this day. Even funnier that my mom bought it for me.
Remembering those years, I don't blame the principal for what he did and would have considered doing the same. "Do I let this ride and risk kids getting worked up, asses kicked, etc. or do I flex nutz and ask them to change it out?" The difference is you flex those nutz on any kid wearing it.
Public schools seemed to regress through my adolescent years and even more so now.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Your first post:

And then you justify that statement after my statement with:

"I am a bigot for not wanting to celebrate a MEXICAN holiday?"

No, I was not calling you a bigot for not wanting to celebrate a "MEXICAN holiday". I was calling you a bigot because "you find it offensive". How exactly are you offended? You don't want to celebrate it (I never "celebrate" Cinco de Mayo) fine, but you shouldn't post on here like your rights are violated because one day is viewed "unofficially" as a Mexican Holiday. What if someone said, "I find it offensive that we celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Day"?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
And what if the administration at the school did nothing and then the Mexican and American students got into an altercation and someone was seriously hurt or killed? People would still be ready to hang the principal. It seems like schools are "damned they do and damned if they don't".

There is nothing wrong with being a proud American. But I mean do you have to flaunt it? I have the right to bear arms under the 2nd Amendment, but I don't need to put a canon on my truck to display my happiness.
Old    deltahoosier            05-07-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Jeremy you have no clue what happens in California on cinco de mayo.

It is offensive to have people in this country that do not want to become part of America that do have a allegence to mexico. The post regarding La Raza was right on. There is a large segment of the mexicans in America that truly believe this is there land and they are here to re-settle the west. You have mexicans in the street waving mexican flags wanting their rights from a country they invaded. Did you know that there has never been such a change in demographics in any country like we have had in the United States the last few years with out a full fledged war. They have mexican flag hanging on their houses. At one high school a year or so ago took down the American Flag and hung it upside down and I think they even put the mexican flag over that one. Then you have this issue we are talking about. One of my good friends had just moved from Morgan Hill a couple years ago.

Wonder why liberals hate the American flag and the people who display it so much. Go to the progressive websites and they have nothing but bad things to say about "flag waivers". Even guys on this site don't like pro American points of view. They must view themselves as children of the world. More childhood fantasy. Go ahead and be that child. You will find yourself homeless when crap hits the fan and it always through out history.
Old    deltahoosier            05-07-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
I wonder how those mexican kids feel saying the Pledge of Allegiance in grammar school every morning? Those poor, poor mexicans.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-07-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
let me get this straight. I can legally and openly burn the American flag, but I cant wear a T shirt on May 5th. thats messed up.

I would hardly label wearing an American flag T shirt on cinco de mayo " flaunting it " Ever wear a visitors hat or jersey to a ball game. It aint no different.
Old    deltahoosier            05-07-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Obviously you have not been to a Raider game. Of course come to think of it, most Raider fans are of mexican decent.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
I served this country, Honorably, for six years. I think I have proven my allegiance to the US, with actions, not just words. I don't find it necessary to dress up in my "cracker jacks" and march down the street. If some dude wants to fly a Mexican flag, an Iraqi flag, a Martian flag, whatever, I fought for that guy to have the freedom to do that. Not only that, there are many legal citizens of this country that have just as little allegiance as the Mexicans you seem to hate.

The only people I didn't fight for, is that a-hole that lives behind me with his GA Bulldogs paraphernalia. Now that is offensive.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-08-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Jeremy, dont forget you also fought for the freedoms of those kids to choose to wear the American flags t-shirts on cinco de mayo as well as the rights for people " to hate" on the mexicans if they so choose. Thank you for your service and god bless.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-08-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Sdub, I totally agree with you. I was simply stating that it appears the principal was trying to prevent a potentially dangerous situation. He MAY of prevented someone from getting seriously hurt. I would rather deal with the consequences of people being angry at me for infringing on student's rights, than to deal with my inactions resulting in someone being hurt or killed.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-08-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
First I would like to thank you Jeremy, for your service. Anyone who serves our country deserves our respect and gratitude.
I live here in California, and have been following this story. Yesterday, there was an interview with a School Dist official. According to him, it was the Assistant Principal, and the Principal does not agree with the way it was handled. There had been no threat of violence or any reason to believe that someone would get hurt. They have never had a problem between Mexican students, and students of another race. So maybe this Assistant Principal jumped the gun on this one. If he was trying to prevent fights and violence, it sure backfired on him. Since this has happened there have been threats and a lot of violence. I can understand his wanting to protect students, but if there was no reason to believe there would be a problem, he should have left it alone. (if it aint broke don't fix it). Now he has opened a whole new can of worms. Maybe the fact that he is also Mexican does not have anything to do with his actions, but I certainly don't think it is helping his case any.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
I got sent home from work on cinco. One of the Mexican guys told me to stop pushing the shop guys so hard,"it's cinco de mayo man". I told him to remember where he lived, and why he no longer lives in his homeland he so desperately wants to celebrate. I told him he should be celebrating February 2 and the Hildago Treaty, which my boss said was in bad taste and racially insensitive, even though the dude had no idea what I was talking about.

My problem with the cinco thing, Mexican and Mexican Americans use this date to celebrate a third world, crooked politcal structured dust bowl that they left for a better life. They surely have a better life here, or why would they stay, why celebrate?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
SOLUTION: all kids in all public schools should be wearing Public School Uniforms. Its not a place for a fashion statement. Its school.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-08-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,

I work at a public high school as a school administrator. I honestly haven't read every single response on this thread but here's a few things you should know about the situation.
1) The Superintendent probably sent that message beacause he is freaking out right now.
2) The Principal's actions are clearly a violation of Freedom of Speech. It sounds like he acted too quickly without considering the law classes that he had to take to become a principal.
3) Safety of the school is important but freedom of speech trumps that.
4) I won't be suprised if the ACLU jumps in on this one and that it goes to the top courts. The only positive to the story that I can see is that the students weren't disciplined for their apparel.
5) The legal case that EVERY school administrator is supposed to learn about is Tinker vs. DesMoines School District. In this court case it was determined that students can wear whatever they want as long as it doesn't disrupt the educational process. This was brought about by a group of students wearing armbands to protest America's involvement in VietNam.

Just thought you should know some basics of school LAW before you go discussing the issue. This truly isn't a Mexian/American thing. It is an issue of Freedom of Speech.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-08-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrd View Post
Hello everyone,

I work at a public high school as a school administrator. I honestly haven't read every single response on this thread but here's a few things you should know about the situation.
1) The Superintendent probably sent that message beacause he is freaking out right now.
2) The Principal's actions are clearly a violation of Freedom of Speech. It sounds like he acted too quickly without considering the law classes that he had to take to become a principal.
3) Safety of the school is important but freedom of speech trumps that.
4) I won't be suprised if the ACLU jumps in on this one and that it goes to the top courts. The only positive to the story that I can see is that the students weren't disciplined for their apparel.
5) The legal case that EVERY school administrator is supposed to learn about is Tinker vs. DesMoines School District. In this court case it was determined that students can wear whatever they want as long as it doesn't disrupt the educational process. This was brought about by a group of students wearing armbands to protest America's involvement in VietNam.

Just thought you should know some basics of school LAW before you go discussing the issue. This truly isn't a Mexian/American thing. It is an issue of Freedom of Speech.
Yep!!
I am sure Jeremy will chime in with some Liberal opinion of why it was ok to send the kids home.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-10-2010, 4:38 AM Reply   
"Safety of the school is important but freedom of speech trumps that."

How is that feasible? You don't have what we typically define as "freedom of speech" in a public school setting anyway. Freedom of speech does not trump public safety in all situations away from public schools. If police encounter a KKK supporter, fully robed, in a predominantly black neighborhood, they are going to remove this individual to protect him.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-10-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
Jeremy,
Generally speaking students have the right to freedom of speech in school as granted by the First Amendment. So, First Amendment rights DO exist in schools although the schools CAN control some freedom of expression. There is a fine line proving that certain dress such as the one indicated in this current news story would disrupt the educational process. Tinker v Des Moines Independent Community School District of (1969) was the case that supported this decision. It was a 7-2 decision.

Here's some writing from the lead justice of the majority -
“It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” While schools certainly have the right to establish rules relating to “the length of skirts or the type of clothing, to hair style,…[or] aggressive, disruptive action or even group demonstrations,” this case does not involve any of those issues. “The school officials banned and sought to punish petitioners for a silent, passive expression of opinion, unaccompanied by any disorder or disturbance on the part of petitioners. There is here no evidence whatever of petitioners' interference, …with the schools' work or of collision with the rights of other students to be secure and to be let alone. Accordingly, this case does not concern speech or action that intrudes upon the work of the schools or the rights of other students.”

“Material and substantial disruption of school activities or invasion of the rights of other students” must be proved if student expression is to be controlled. School officials could censor only when they could show that the expression would disrupt the school environment or invade the rights of other students.

So, in the news case I am not aware of the details that the American flag shirts were causing a disruption to the school environment or that the students wearing said shirts were infringing on the rights of others. Do you know where they protesting? Or were they silently wearing the American flag shirts like they would any other t-shirt? Were they verbally taunting the students who were celebrating Cinco de Mayo? Were they engaged in behavior that would provoke confrontation and would disrupt the educational process? I have not read enough of the details on the situation to know the answers to those questions. Now, in your fictitious example of the KKK, you are right, the First Amendment rights of students could be superseded by the safety of both the robe wearer and other students in the school if there was a disruption to the educational process - which I think a fully robed individual would do.

School law is a really interesting field and the laws in school are a bit different than they are out in the "real world." Did you also know that within a school we can conduct a search based on "reasonable suspicion" rather than full-blown "probable cause?" The case that determined this was New Jersey vs. T.L.O. (1985). I find it fascinating that schools are under completely different guidelines. I guess that is why my school district has an attorney on retainer who we consult on a regular basis!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-10-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
If police encounter a KKK supporter, fully robed, in a predominantly black neighborhood, they are going to remove this individual to protect him.
And that is a good example of why we are the way we are today. If said man wants to do taht in a black neighborhood, said man should be allowed to be beaten to death.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       05-10-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
I think its funny since I graduated from this school in 2003. Yes, there are alot of Mexicans there.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-10-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
Liz, the KKK scenario (which was modeled after the scene from the third Die Hard movie) was a fictitious example of something not inside the public school building. Say it is on the sidewalk in a predominantly black neighborhood. Or some guy dressed up like Hitler in the Jewish neighborhood. Or some guy dressed up like Obama in a neighborhood full of teabaggers. The police would remove the individual in the interest of public safety (mainly for the guy dressed up).

So my point is generally freedom of speech is secondary to public safety. I would venture that this is exponentially true inside a public school building.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-11-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
This isn't the first time this has happened. i graduated from Gilroy High just ten miles south of Morgan Hill's Live Oak in 1996 and on Cinco de Mayo all the Mexican kids were walking around campus with there Mexican flags drapped around them so at lunch time I went out to my truck and grabbed the U.S. Flag and did the same thing. Within 5 minutes the yard duties grabbed me and took me to the principals office. I argued for a few minutes with the principal but finally gave in to him holding the flag tell after school so I had time to run out to my truck and grab my other flag, the confederate one! All hell broke lose and my parents got called and I was suspended for a week. Not that I minded. lol But I thought it was really ironic they allowed the kids to drape Mexican flags over them and I couldn't wear the American flag? I know I was just asking for trouble with the Confederate flag but they took my American Flag. The school district as already admitted they could have handled the situation better in Morgan Hill but this is after the fact. I bet you next year if this repeats they'll handle it the same way and say sorry after again. It's complete b.s.
Old    deltahoosier            05-11-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Interesting how Jeremy continues to use a sexual act to describe Americans who exercise their rights and want the government to quit overspending and then still has some image that they are dangerous. No wonder liberalism is considered a mental disorder.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-11-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Can't even try to talk sense into someone that would use a comparison between the KKK and the American Flag to get apoint across.

Every day in America is Flag day in my opinion. There is not one day that we should be excluded from showing our pride.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-11-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
"Can't even try to talk sense into someone that would use a comparison between the KKK and the American Flag to get apoint across."

Where is the comparison? You need to reread fully. The KKK example had nothing to do with an American Flag, it had to deal with an instance where public safety trumps freedom of speech.

Someone, 90% of the Tea Party believe that taxes have either gone up or have remained the same under Obama, when in fact taxes have been reduced for 95% of Americans. 30% of the "movement" is over 65 and probably receiving both Medicare and SSI. If you a part of a group that borrows their name from a historical group that was protesting TAXES and the overwhelming majority of that group does not realize that they are paying less taxes, then calling them teabaggers is a complement.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
If police encounter a KKK supporter, fully robed, in a predominantly black neighborhood
They should let nature take its course there.... they guy deserves whatever he is getting
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
"is over 65 and probably receiving both Medicare and SSI"

What does this have to do with anything? You do realize that you pay into Medicare and SSI your entire life right? You do realize you have no choice but too right? Of course people are going to get their money back.