Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       10-08-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
OK Guys Heres What Ive Got, I Am Running 8 Ohm Subs Single voice coil. I have no intention of changing subs or amps. My Amps Are All 1 Ohm Stable. How Do I Change My Subs From 8Ohm To 2?

Can This Be Done By Running Resistors in Parallel with the subs?

Thanks in Advance
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
What are you trying to accomplish? How many subs do you have? Are you trying to figure out how to run multiple subs of 1 chnl? Adding resisters are not the answer.

(Message edited by chpthril on October 08, 2008)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
I am not an expert but am guessing that we are going to need to know how many subs and amps as well as what amps you are running.

There is not enough information in your post to answer this question.
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       10-08-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
1 Sub 8 ohm Fosgate
1 Amp 4 Channel 2 Channels for deck speakers bridge the othe two for sub.

Sub is 300 watt RMS

Amp will produce 600 Watts RMS

Trying to figure out how to reduce the oms of the sub to increase wattage from Amp to Max.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-08-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
By bridging the two extra channels, you will be to a 4-ohm load. I don't know of any way to get it lower than that with the setup you have. Also, don't know of many 4-channel amps that are 1-ohm stable... so that might be worth double checking?
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       10-08-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
I thought that only the speakers determined the ohm load
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
I believe that that the only way you can wire that with one 8 ohm sub is bridged at 8 ohms.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Sorry to say, what you got is what you got. You can lower the Impedance that the amp sees, but the extra watts output would be lost to the resister(s) in the way of heat.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-08-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
"I thought that only the speakers determined the ohm load"

The speaker and the amp each play a part in determing the ohm load. As far as the amp is concerned, 8-ohm bridged to two channels is the same thing as the amp seeing a 4-ohm load... don't know if that makes sense... ohms are confusing and I'm sure somebody else on here is able to explain it better.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-08-2008, 11:32 PM Reply   
THree more 8 ohm subs in parallel for 2 ohm load, that'll do it;)
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2008, 12:35 AM Reply   
What you need is a set of good ol Accumatch transformers...

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42214

Unfortunately I don't think there are many around anymore. But they let you divide or multiply the impedance seen by the amp. We used to use these 10 years ago in sound off's to get the most out of our amps. Anyway, there you have it. It does/did exist.