Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    chachi            04-26-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
Does anyone know what I have to do to get a boat from the us to canada. What taxes/duties if any.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-26-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
There should not be any duty on a boat from the US (new or used) but you will have to pay GST and Provincial Sales Tax if applicable. The boat is no problem but the trailer is considered a Motor Vehicle and must meet the Canadian requirements of Transport Canada which for most "brand-name" trailers usually just means that the lights must conform to Canadian rules which can be slightly different than some in the US. You pay a fee of about $185 for the paperwork to let the trailer into Canada and then must have it inspected before you can purchase a licence plate.

I would suggest you call a Customs Broker for advice and/or pay them to take care of some of the paperwork. Look in the Yellow Pages, they are independent of any government agency and their job is to do the paperwork for all sorts of products that are shipped or brought into the country. It is not rocket science to import a boat but like plenty of things some qualified help is worth paying for. Good luck.
Old    bambamski            04-27-2004, 7:19 AM Reply   
Mr. Kittler

Have they filled the slew up yet? 26 degrees yesterday would have been a great day to get out on the water.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-27-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Pat,

Mr Kittler? How formal. I guess we are too old for "hey dude"! The lake was glass all day sunday and the level is just now starting to rise. A new launch is now under construction and it looks like they are trying to get that done before the water is right up.

Can't wait!
Old    xrated            04-28-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
Ya I drove past it yesterday at about a quarter after hurricane, didnt look too inviting to me.
Old    absolutofft            05-09-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
Is it possible to get the US sales tax back? Also I have heard that if you buy a boat and say sell it to your relative for a much reduced price then they can bring the boat across the border for the reduced price to save money. Even though this clearly is for evading taxes there is nothing they can do about it supposedly.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-09-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
Aaron:
There should be no local US sales tax if you buy the boat and take it out of state. Just like if you bought a boat from me in Sask, I don't charge you PST.
As for the second part of your question, any time you can show a lower price on your bill of sale, bringing it across will cost you less in BC taxes.
Hope this helps.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-10-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
I'm selling my 22v now and have several people from Canada interested. Apparently it depends on what province you live in th Canada. Some have more import duties than others. It is easy to find out what duties are applicable if you get the customs phone number from Canada's website and call and ask them. I've heard they range from no cost up to like 15%.
Old    chachi            05-10-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
How much are u selling your boat for .
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       12-07-2021, 1:57 AM Reply   
You need to get in touch with a customs broker to ensure that you don't have any surprises at the border.