Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-11-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
They are claiming $40k for this boat, this looks like a really nice ride. Great video of the kids wakeboarding too. I have not seen any on the lakes in Nor-Cal, anyone else spotted one of these?

http://www.axiswake.com/

(Message edited by fman on October 11, 2009)
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-12-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
I was in one from ProMarine this past weekend at the College Competition in Wilmington. Its a pretty cool boat that throws a really nice. I would say for $40k you are getting a bone stock boat. The one David had was about $50k but it had pretty much all options and a nice trailer with 18's.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-12-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Like Shaun said, they are closer to 50k after basic options like the cat engine upgrade for California residents.
Old    shooter_08            10-12-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
I saw one at the boat show. I wasn’t a fan of the interior, windshield or the tower. The boat looks cheap and over done IMO. I like the idea of a price point boat, but I think they missed the mark at 40-50K. I could buy a sick slightly used boat for 50K.

I do like how it is plumbed for ballast bags which makes it easy to weight it how you want it. I have heard the wake is good.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-12-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Test drove one in Aug, and would buy one if my wife wasn't so dead set against it. They handle great, the wake is great, they are roomy, I think the fit and finish is a little low, but higher than say the moombas, which are in the same price range. They also are a little noisy.

I do agree that they get too pricey when you add in the needed options and don't compete with the used boats you can get for that same price. Once you get close to 50K this boat loses all advantage. 45k and bellow is the only way this boat works.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
Sick boat for the dough... Load up the Plug and Play and you are set.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-12-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Tested one this weekend....Loved it...Wake was great, never washed out, amazing amount of creature comforts...This one was very quiet and ran like a dream. Has the 18s on the trailer and it pulled great. The runway lights are a +1 too...The plug and play ballast is very convenient and with the wedge down its all the wake I can handle. Everything about the wake is great, soft landings, tons of pop. It was well manufactured for sure and I'll be placing my order soon for one :-) Wasnt a fan at first of the windshield, but after driving by your rider and being able to talk to them without yelling over a windshield and the accessibility of grabbing the cleat on the side for tying to a dock, I can see how its nice. We ran yesterday and there wasnt wind coming into the cab because of the shorter windshield, I really like it. It also handles very well.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-12-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I think my comparision, noise wise, was to the VTX we also test drove. The Axis was much much louder.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-12-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
I will say on the one we were on that when some water flew up from a roller the windshield does not block anything coming from the side which was different from anything I was used to. A power wedge would be an awesome option on them too instead of just the flip down one.
Old     (mastercraftboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
Rode behind it during a camp, pretty sick, but detail and quality were on the lower end
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Tough to hit a price point that everyone is looking for if you add a power wedge to the mix. Free Floating wedge takes 30sec. to lower and raise.
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-12-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
have one here in the showroom in boise. heard the wake is nice, but the fit/finish and overall looks are not to my liking. kind of screams cheap, especially for 50k.

35-40 loaded would have sold a ton of them. I'd spend the cash on a 1-2y.o. used or look at a new moomba for the same cash..
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-12-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback, they have some nice options available. Is there any room left over in the ski lockers with the extra bags filled? I have a Supra, and use the 750's in the rear, still have plenty of room for ropes/vests, especially with the Z5 cargo rack being able to handle surfboards, kneeboards, etc...

I like the runway lights they put on the trailer, maybe someday I will run into one at the dock here in Nor-Cal. I agree, for $50k you can get into some very nice boats. It sounds like the fit and finish is not quite up to par for a $50k boat. I am sure they will be improving it every year, I think its only been available for a couple years.
Old     (axismatt)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-13-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
Hello Wakeworlders,
Wanted to introduce myself and figured this would be the forum to do it in. My name is Matt Bishop and I recently started with Axis Wake Research. If you guys have any technical questions or need to know or see anything on the Axis boat feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to help you out. I know (from my experience with local forums) many of you are understandably jaded towards dealers and manufacturers who try to get on forums and constantly sell you their products. I don't want to be that guy for sure! I am simply here to help with questions and/or provide accurate information about Axis. I will try to keep my opinions out of the forums.

That being said I want to address the interior of the Axis and the Plug N' Play ballast bags for the aft lockers.

The interior as many of you have seen or noticed in the 2009 models has been upgraded for 2010. We are now using the same foam and thickness of foam as you will see in a Malibu to give the interior a much more plush feeling. The vinyl is the same thickness as many of our competitors but is a few mms thinner than the Malibus for cost savings and brand differentiation. The finish of the boat should be in line with the Malibus as they roll off the same assembly line.

The stock Fly High Plug N' Play ballast bags for the aft lockers leave room for storage once they are full. The nice thing about this system is that if you want more room or more ballast you can use different size bags to suit your needs. If nothing off the shelf looks to be what you need then the guys at Fly High can make you a custom bag to your exact specifications.

If any one else has any questions please feel free to post them or message me. Thanks!
Old     (jmattnc80)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-13-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
If I recall correctly, the 2010 base price is somewhere around $43K. That is what I was told at a recent boatshow here in NC.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
2010 boat has some great upgrades. You should definately check one out before you cross it off your list.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-25-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
David at Pro Marine let me take an Axis for a weekend back in July. Overall I liked the boat.
It was basically like driving a Malibu. A power wedge would have been nice. The distance to step from the back of the boat to the swim platform is pretty big. I think it needs a step!
Old     (shwiezz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-26-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
I thought the Axis is a price point Malibu.
Is this correct or am I wrong?
Old     (axismatt)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-26-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
^^^^Jay you are generally correct. Our engineering, styling and focus are different than Malibu but we are owned and produced by Malibu.