Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-13-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
For a while now I've been running a simple audio system setup with a sub and a couple 6x9's in an old Barefoot Nautique, however, I'm interested in finally putting in a cheap but decent audio system this summer. Here is what I have come up with so far, just wondering how it sounds:

Two amps, one a 300 watt mono Clarion that I already have to run a 12" Audiobahn sub that I already have in the boat. In addition, I want to add in a Kicker ZX 350 watt 4 channel amp to run two sets of Polk DB650's that I am going to mount onto my pylon just below a skylon skyrack (able to hid the wiring for the most part in the pylon, while it still being somewhat easy to remove). In addition, I have two different sets of 6x9's from last year that I just want to run off my Pioneer head unit, no amped power going to them.

So basicly I'll have the 300 watt Clarion amp running my sub, and the 350 watt Kicker amp running the four mounted Polk speakers, then 4 6x9's running powered from the head unit (current stock rear speakers in the boat are blown out and just buzz the whole time). Am I going to get adequate sound and loudness from those Polks and is that system gonna pull too much power out of my battery?

Last year I've been running the Clarion amp in addition to a 200 watt cheap amp to run one set of the 6x9's, and I never had a problem with the battery dying on me while chilling in the middle of the lake. Thanks for the help.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-13-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
call it over kill but i got a 4 channel 1000 watt (650 there about rms) amp running the 4 on my pylon and they scream! and a 600 watt 2 channel that i run bridged for a 10 inch sub and it rocks. my problem is i have all that plus neons at night running off of one small battery. nautique was dumb in 86 and only put in one battery well and its smaller than a normal battery. so for my spring break im pulling the sub out and reworking things a lil bit. i liked it before but it just needs cleaned up and i really need a second battery
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-13-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
You're not running the Polks tho, right? The 650's are rated at 60 rms, so I figured that Kicker amp (60 rms x 4) would be perfect for em. I don't want overkill running through those speakers, right?
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
I am currently using the Kicker KX350.4 to power 8 6x9s in my boat-4 on the tower and 4 in the cabin. I have never had any problems with that amp getting to hot, or shutting down. That may be something for you to consider, rather than powering the 6x9s off the deck.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-13-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
this is true they arent polks, but doesnt a speaker that handles higher rms mean more power, which would be louder and clearer?