Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-02-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
I'm new to wakesurfing. I did it at camp and it was really fun so I bought a new board. However, it seems like we can't quite get to the point where we can let go of the rope behind our boat. The wake is plenty big. In-fact we had 10 people in the boat the other night with the wedge down and I still couldn't keep up.

Someone said I needed wax.

Who waxes and how is it done. Sorry, I'm a rookie.
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Surf board wax is used to create grip for your feet not to make the board faster (like in skiing and snowboarding). To keep up with the wake, you need to make sure the board you bought is the right size for you and that the boat is going the right speed to create the "wave". With 10 people and a wedge you should have no problem creating a wave big enought to ride around 9 or 10 mph. If the board is the right size, and wake looks good, and you still have trouble keeping up try moving foward on the board or putting more weight on your front foot.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-02-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
the board is a 5.6 x 20 Inland Surfer Blue Lake. It's the right size for me cause it's the same board I rode at camp. The wake was huge behind my boat and I was cranking on my front foot. I was trying every conceivable speed, but around 10 to 12 is about right for me I think. Not sure what the problem is.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-02-2004, 5:15 PM Reply   
Move forward on the board and see if that helps. I'm 190# and I ride the blue lake and it works great, no problem staying up without the rope for several minutes at a time.

Are all the people sitting on one side of the boat?
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
I ride the blue lake too. I'm 180 and usually put my back foot about 10 inches from the back of the board.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-02-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
2 other things a lot of people don't mention that really help.

1. If you are regular foot and are toeside/frontside into the wave (which you should be), put both feet close to the toeside edge of the board, not in the middle of the board.

2. Moving forward helps, but the real key is in moving your hips forward. A lot of people move forward, but their hips are still at a 45 degree angle to the board and boat, so they are still too far back (with their hips) on the board. Therefore, they keep moving forward and bury the nose of the board.

It is hard to explain, but if your hips are parallel to the board, just slide them towards the boat and front foot, and your board will really speed up. Let us know how it goes.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-02-2004, 6:21 PM Reply   
In addition to moving your feet towards the ts edge of the board (assuming you're riding frontside), bend your knees and have your weight on the balls of your feet not your heels. Once I get people to relax and bend their knees they usually end up with more speed than they need and can move back on the board.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
Mr. Zogs Sex Wax is the best!
Old    rob4senate            08-03-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
Mango, you are not into kinky s@%# are ya????
Old    mountainlake            08-03-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
i have the problem when i wax my surfboard and take it on the boat i have all the wax on the new 04 x star thats not so nice...
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-03-2004, 4:24 PM Reply   
It's just strange that I could do it fine at camp and I can't at home with the same board. There's plenty of wake from what I can tell.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
keeping the feet close to the toeside edge is a good tip, thanks for that, cause sometimes i ride the wave for a few minutes at a time, and sometimes i cant find it at all.
Old    waterguy            08-15-2004, 1:50 AM Reply   
what does the wake look like at ur speed? The wake should be relatively clean with little froth at the area where you are surfing. also sometimes we had to move people around in our boat to change the wake form. having everyone in the back on my boat creates way to much froth (tige 22i).
Old    moh2o            09-08-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Were they talking about speedwaxes because they do help a little bit? http://www.skimcity.com/obi/showprod.cfm?&DID=12&CATID=8&ObjectGroup_ID=49Although you still should be able to ride without it.

(Message edited by moh2o on September 08, 2004)