Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    bocephus            05-22-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hey All,
I'm looking for a new board. I currently ride a '02 Byerly with '05 Byerly bindings. I just got a new '06 Air Nautique 210 and am just trying to get half way decent. With the new boat I am jumping straight up or I blast straight through the wake. When I really charge the wake I get way high in the air, approximately 10 feet or so. I am having problems getting across the wake and landing. With this in mind I am looking for a new board with SOFT landings. I like a loose board that will hook up good when I want it to. I think I want a board that goes the distance versus a board that goes straight up, but I need enough rocker so that I don't blast through the SAN wake.

Thanks,
Bocephus!
Old    bocephus            05-22-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
This is the byerly:
Upload
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-22-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
you just described the board you're currently riding. That Byerly lands nice.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       05-22-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
But the Byerly has a 3 stage rocker so is a little bucky (Is that a word?)...I would definately suggest the Hyperlite 3DS...I have ridden tons of boards and this thing does it all...including butter soft landings...I am old, 35, so I need soft landings. Try it you will like it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-23-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
I would second the recommendation for the 3ds. I just rode it for the first time last week, and loved it. landed so soft. way better landings then the 2 previous 3 stage boards I rode. it rides a bit longer than it's actual size though. I have a 135, and it feels closer to a 138-139.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
How about the J-Star Empire....

Danny T.
www.OKCBoardShop.com
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-23-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
The Marius and The Fish are soft landing boards. I've heard the 3DS is nice as well.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-23-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Isn't the J-star Empire made from the 3DS mold?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
as i fairly big guy, i have the same problems punching through the SAN wake whenever i take anything other than an ollie approach. however, the most recent time i rode one, i had a board with a bigger rocker (and more skill on my part than my first experience behind one), and i was a lot more comfortable--other than my uncanny knack to find the trough at every rope and approach length--with good pop and only a couple punch throughs. wow, i apologize for that disaster or a run-on sentence. anyway, like everyone has said, a 3ds or murray sounds like a smart choice. and, since the cwb guys are bound to suggest it momentarily, a marius might work for you, but make sure you don't buy the marius without demoing

(Message edited by jcv on May 23, 2006)
Old    tclagggym            05-23-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
To All SAN riders: I too use to bust through the wake. I found if you put more weight in the front it will mellow out the steepness of the wake. And I also ride around 24 to 26 miles an hour. The faster you go the harder the water seems to be. I have had my Marius for 2 seasons and love the pop and super soft landings.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
From what I have seen in the pro-shop, the Empire looks like it came from the 3DS mold.

I have rode the Empire, but not the 3DS, but from what I have heard from people on here and at the lake is that the main difference between the Empire and the 3DS is that the Epire cuts harder and lands softer...

Danny T.
www.OKCBoardShop.com
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-23-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
I really want to try that deck. I saw one at O-town and it looks sweet.

Hi-jack over!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Ant, wants to try the Empire. One word WHORE.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-23-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
hahaha I guess it takes one to know one.... right Squid?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
yep, sometimes they just call ya. Damn voices glad they are gone hope I passed them on to you.
Old    ausbill32            05-23-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
After demoing about 7 different boards over the last 2 months, I decided on the 06 Shane Watson 142. I"m 6ft about 190. It's fast, quick pop, soft landings, and pretty darn easy to ride switch with which I just recently learned. I love this board.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Umm William you went with the Shane? or the Watson?

Bocephus I'm a big fan of LF boards; I ride the Substance and find it to be similar to what you're looking for, I wouldn't compare it to the Byerly, I found the ride similar to the 3DS.

Boards are all going to feel and work differently based on our individual preferences, best advice anyone can give you is to get out there and ride a few.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-23-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
Must be a hybrid, Jeff

The empire is ALL over O'Town, I probably saw about 10 in one week. I still have yet to ride it, but I doubt any board can ride better (to my liking) than the Natural.
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-24-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Try the Marius and the Premiere
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-24-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
THE WATSON ROCKS!!!! I LOVE MY WATSON 134!!!!
Old    icyberbujas            05-24-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
i definetly think the byerly is awesome i have an 05' byerly 132.I LOVE IT~!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
JStar Empire has my vote. My personal board.