Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-28-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Well just as the title says...

Here's the criteria though. Board has to be 07 or newer and it has to be a liquid force.

28 years old
I am 6 foot 1
210 lbs
Beginner

I just learned to wakeboard in june of 08.Haven't gone wake to wake in the air but I can get air. Haven't done the surface 360...yet. Can do surface 180s, bunny hops, squat on the water, sliders,....just the basic beginner stuff. Would love to be able to go wake to wake this coming summer and maybe even an air 360. We'll see. I have ridden an 07 145 hyperlite state (got stolen), 05 142 lf evo (still have), an 08 147 hyperlite apex (still have), and a 07 141 cwb faze (friend's board, this is what i first got up on).

Go!
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-28-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
SLINGSHOT!!!!!!!!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-28-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Jeff, 142 or 146 Trip. Or I'll sell you an '08 144 Witness for a good price. I am beginner/intermediate, probably more beginner ;-), 6'0" 200lbs and ride a '08 142 Watson. I love it. Demo all 4 of these boards and see which one feels best.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
I realize that you have not jumped wake-to-wake yet so you may not have even thought about if you would like to jump out into the flats.

if wake to wake is what you expect yourself to be doing even in the broad future then i would get a threestage rocker board such as the Shane. it is quite known for soft landings too.

three stage boards tend to be a little more difficult for beginners, but it is my opinion that
the difference between controlling a "begginer" board and a "pro" board is 3-5 sets/rides. this is especially true for those who would prefer to save a little cash and not buy another board later when they progress.

NOW with this said their ARE a couple of boards that are ABSOLUTE GREAT Beginner to Pro boards, such as the LF Trip. The Trip has remained a staple for years and is an age proven design. Keith Lyman rode it as a pro model till he got his "PRO" model. and nearly every LF board has some characteristics taken from the Trip, including Keith Lyman's model. No one can go wrong with a TRIP! the trip is a continuous rocker, but that is not to say you cant go wake to wake with it

I personally really enjoyed the Lyman pro model when i rode it. It was designed to withstand a lot of pressure and weight. it is a progressive 3 stage rocker and will perform somewhere between the aggressive/bucking style of the Shane and the more predictable popping Trip. most boards now days seem to use a rocker pattern that complements both continuopus and 3stage

so again, three LF suggestions for you from me are (in no particular order):

Shane
Trip
Lyman

stay tuned for more opinions

OHhh, and DEMO DEMO DEMO... if you can
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
W-I-T-N-E-S-S - ride it w/o the center fins
Old     (thiggi)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-28-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
This has your name written all over it. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/661385.html?1233028975
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-28-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
I ride a similar setup as the link above but with the 07 Shane and CT bindings, and I love it. Forgiving on landings, and I love the bindings, can't say much about the OT bindings, never tried them, but can't ride anything other than those 08 CT now.

EDIT: I'm beginner/intermediate as well, btw. And even some of my more advanced buddies love riding that setup over others.

(Message edited by rlwagens on January 28, 2009)
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-28-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
Jeff
My 2 cents,
You have some decent boards, that Apex is really nice.
Save your dough and learn more this summer, ride as many boards as you can get your hands on and pay attention to what you like about them.
Then get a board that you know you will like that matches your style.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-29-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
W-I-T-N-E-S-S +1
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-29-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
The LOG!
Old    joshj095            01-29-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
hyplte bside the absolude most stable board on the market and the 141 is absolutly amazing. definately go check it out and a cable park so you can get the feel. but ive ridden it for 2 seasons and its so sick....
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-29-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Being close to your size (6'2"/205), I would not advise any board smaller then a 142.
I am looking at the marek 146 for next year. But it comes with a big price tag!
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-29-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Joe's got the right idea! That thing is like floatin on a cloud!
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-29-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Why does it have to be LF? I'm guessing your local dealer might only carry LF or something?

If that's the case I too recommend the Witness. But demo if you can and try other brands if you have the option, there are lots of great boards out there.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-29-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
I agree with Brent, you have some pretty good boards. What is wrong with your Apex? That thing is a sweet shape and will not hold you back, just ask Erik Ruck.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-29-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Nothing is wrong with my apex. Ive got a set of the 08 byerly CT bindings on that setup. Something else to keep in mind guys....I wear a 13 to 14 shoe. Yeah, I got aircraft carrier feet....trust me it sucks....I have to order my shoes. I have come across a set of closed toe 08 shanes and I was wanting to pair it up with a LF board. I dont like to mismatch.....I kinda see that like putting a chevrolet engine ford...or vice versa. Another word for it in my opinion is "rigged".
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-29-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
thats dumb. find a board you like, find a binding that fits well, and mount them together. unless your getting paid to represent the gear you ride, don't worry who's brand name is on it
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
+1 to Luke.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
I would highly recommend the Murray 145. It is really stable, predictable, and forgiving. It is a great board for any level, but can definitely make things easier along the way.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-29-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
Watson Signature Platinum is cheap today. Look on the home page.