Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-28-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
How do I improve my riding goofy foot? I'm okay at regular. How can I get more height, currently riding at 22.5 and 70' length. I can get up. Ride. Carve. 180 on the flats. Jump. But not clear the entire wake. I've came close to landing a back roll numerous times. I just have nobody to help me out there. YouTube is all I have. Lol in my head its just consistency. But I've plateaued. New to the forum, thought I'd see what the wake life has to say.
Old    sperbet            06-28-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
ride, ride, ride, then ride some more. Really the best way to improve is to get as much time on the water as possible.

Other than that it helps to find some other people who are also into riding and improving. Try the find a third section on this webiste.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
get creative when you ride, make a (realistic) list of tricks of you really want to do and sac up!

riding as often as possible helps too
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-28-2013, 2:59 PM Reply   
Scott said it. Different people may have different ceilings, but in general, riding more is the only way to become a better rider.
Old     (rvawake)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-28-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
Sounds kinda funny but I took my longboard (skateboard) out and rode it every day to class switch. Started on flat land then took it down some hills and got used to carving and balancing. Worked for me but problobly not for everyone
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-28-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
^Sounds legit to me. Good ole muscle memory is one of the keys.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-28-2013, 10:17 PM Reply   
Your line is out kinda long if you are just starting. Might wanna bring it in a few feet.
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 7:33 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I am a firm believer in practice practice practice! I took your advice on a list of tricks, i get a little ballsy sometimes and just hit it and try tantrums (OUCH!!) lol or back rolls. I decided to take it to the basics and start with surface 360's and air hand offs. My line length is actually where i am most comfortable. I have tried, 60, 65 and some others and the speed that it shoots me across the wake, i cant get used to. Maybe slow the boat down also??
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 7:35 AM Reply   
Brad---Long board idea, that's actually a great idea, i'll probably use a skateboard tho. Should be the same. I was thinking of setting up my spare board to regular foot, and just riding it like that so it makes me.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-01-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
Only two things will make you a better rider--ride more and ride harder.

Looking into a lesson is always a good idea too. A little expert instruction will go a long way and the sooner the better. Don't wait until you have bad habits to fix.
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
I have actually thought about getting lessons. Right now I use Youtube for lessons haha. Problem is, I have 2 of the greatest lakes i've ever rode on less than 5 minutes away. (Bull Shoals Lake and Lake Norfork) and no one offers lessons. If anyone is good enough move here and make some money! haha
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-01-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
If you have a cable park close by the I would say go take as many laps as you can riding switch. You don't have to hit anything but you can edge up to them and away and get a really good feeling for what you need to do for muscle memory. If that's not available to you then I'd stick with what the other guys are saying. If I'm having a good day with the stuff I want to get down riding regular HS and TS, then my last set will be strictly switch and just a relaxing run with little no energy used just working on edging into the wake.
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
It really pisses me off, I can ride and have fun left foot forward and as soon as i land with my right forward its over. haha but thanks for all the advice. I will keep everyone updated. Im about take off work early and go hit some wakes!
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention, Cable park - closest one is over 6 hrs away! lol I do have a trip planned for winter time. One other idea, i have seen and heard about. Trampolines?? A few riders told me to get a trampoline and tie a rope to a tree, and Start practicing on it. anyone think this this is a good idea?
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-01-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
Yes it is! you should definitly buy a trampoline it is a must. It really builds confidence and helps with form. make sure you buy one that has a net because theres a few times were you will get a weird bounce landing and go flying off it. i got 12' for 80 bucks basically brand new. 14' is probably better. i can do crow 5's on a 12' aswell as whirly 5's, none of which i can do on the water lol.
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
Just bought a brand new 15' trampoline with netting on ebay. 100 bucks! Thanks for the advice