Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tumblesalot)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-08-2009, 11:59 PM Reply   
Hello,

I bought a 2002 sanger V210 last summer and my family and I had a great time using it, but it seems weak in the waterski area.

My wife and son like to waterski and my daughter and myself like to wakeboard. The boat is great for wakeboarding. It is very slow out of the hole for waterskiing and the wake is about 12" tall and quite hard for waterskiing. You can't carve on a waterski because it will launch you into the air.

The boat originally came from california and now runs on lakes 3000' elevation. Tried changing the prop from the OJ 13x13 to a Acme 13x11.5 and it made marginal difference.

Any way to get more power out of the 300 hp merc 350 mag mpi? Can you chip them?

Would a wake plate on the back of the boat help? I am thinking that a wake plate would lift the rear of the boat up so it would plane quicker and produce a smaller wake for waterskiing.

Really like the boat and I am enjoying wakeboarding, but will have to get rid of the boat if wife and son (220lbs) can't waterski.

Thanks for any help offered.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-09-2009, 12:13 AM Reply   
I've played around with a plate on mine, details here: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/714713.html?1257232316
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Get the Bennett wake plate through Sanger. It makes a huge difference and will help for many things besides just the waterski wake. I've had pretty good waterskiers behind my 215 who thought it was OK, and its a heavier boat.
The adjustable plate will make much more difference than an extra 50 hp when you are coming out of the hole and you won't find a 'tuning' change that would give you anywhere near that much power.
The only hard part of the install is getting the plate driled and screwed to the hull below the transom.
Old     (tumblesalot)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-09-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
What size is the bennett plate through Sanger? My local Sanger dealer is only interested in selling new boats. When I have asked to price out a plate from Sanger to add to my v210 it seems to fall on deaf ears. Perhaps have to order one through overtons.

Glad to know that the plate may give a decent waterski wake. Have to keep the wife happy you know.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-09-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
If this is the right width buy this one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1440005225.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-09-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Also, how fast do you ski at?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Brett's reference is the right one. It's about 22" X 11".
The Sanger one is not a stock size for Bennett, but is something Sanger carries. Call the Sanger plant, or talk to Scott (fastfeet) about the part number.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-09-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
I thought the V210 hull was the same design as the DX series which was a direct drive ski boat. In the 90's we skied and kneeboarded behind V210s before they put towers and ballast in them and the wake was pretty flat. I haven't skied in years but at 28+ mph my wake flattens right out.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
One thing I have found with my v215 is to add some weight to my forward tank about ¾ - full it moves the CG of the boat forward more like a direct drive. Trim tab is the way to go but in lieu of that adding weight to forward bag makes a huge difference. Last thing less people and gear in the boat the better in this case lighter is better.

(Message edited by yubasanger on November 09, 2009)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-09-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
300 hp should be plenty of power to get someone up on a ski.

You are running ballast empty aren't you?
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Sanger used to use 3 blade cupped props on those for water skiing. They switched to 4 blade not too long ago for a better wakeboard wakes. Email Scott Pellaton @ spellaton@sbcglobal.net and ask him for help. He used to be competetion water skier and knows everything Sanger. My 96 DLX has a killer water ski wake and tons of power out of the hole with a carb motor and w ski around 28-36 mph.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-09-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
My wife likes to throw on a ski now and then, and our V-210 works pretty good. Not as flat as a DD ski specific boat, but pretty darn acceptable at 30 mph plus.
Make sure you dump any ballast, and maybe add a few pop bags under the bow cushions or have someone sit up front just to help keep the bow down a bit. We have the 330 Black Scorpion, but the Mag 350 should be more than enough to pull, especially with a 11.5 pitch prop. Heck, we used to ski behind a 130 hp four cylinder I/O back in the day.

Also make sure you use the pylon, not the tower. This will lower the leverage point, and allow the boat to take a better attitude on the water.

(Message edited by rio_sanger on November 09, 2009)
Old     (tumblesalot)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-09-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
I do not have any ballast in the boat. Rear lockers have about 3 extra lifejackets and wetsuits and some tools (maybe 100lbs total) and there are about 5 waterskiis under the passengers seat and 1 wakeboard on the tower. With a driver and both passengers sitting in the bow of the boat it is still very, very slow on take off. Boat seems to run fine for everything else.

I waterski at 33-34 mph. I tried faster thinking that it might get flatter, but didnt make much difference. Also tried 100' rope and combinations shorter thinking that the wake maybe smoother on a long rope but it was actually worse.

Using the pylon in front of the engine for towing waterskiers and tubes.

I have found a different Sanger dealer that is 100 miles from me, will see if the new dealer can get me a price on a wake plate.

Thanks for all the help!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-09-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
Most v-drives would not be considered high on the list for a small ski wake, especialy with a hull design like Sanger's. They sit deeper in the water. That being said, you should be able to improve it and minimize your issues with a trim tab and prop change.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-10-2009, 12:04 AM Reply   
Darryl, when you talk to the new dealer ask about tuning fur 3000'. Your engine should compensate for the altitude but maybe it needs a change.
Mine is noticeably faster getting on plane with the plate down than with it up. I am very sure that it will fix your problems. Try storing the tools under the port bow seat if the skis don't get in the way. That could also help.
Old     (tumblesalot)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-10-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Art,

I will try moving all the extra weight to the front. Putting all the passengers up front helped a little, but not enough.

I thought that all fuel injected engines had an O2 sensor that helped to adjust the engine for different altitudes? Will certainly take it to a shop to get looked at before next season. I only got the boat before holidays in 2009 and had no time to make any adjustments.

I either have to trade it off on a different boat or hope that a tune up and wake plate will help. Like the boat otherwise.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-10-2009, 11:52 PM Reply   
If the plate doesn't make you pop out of the hole fast and flatten the ski wake I'll smuggle you a case of good Canadian beer to make up for it.
But I know it will fix your ills. Of course the beer would do that for a short while too.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-11-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
"Tuning for altitude" by an EFI engine doesn't regain lost horsepower, it simply cleans up the injection to prevent the motor from running rich. Thin air is thin air, and you will lose horsepower no matter what, unless you can compensate by stuffing more air into the motor(turbo or supercharging).

I'd load the boat as it will normally be used, then do a WOT run at altitude to see what kind of RPM's you are getting. If you cant see 4500 plus, you need to drop some more pitch out of the prop. (Assuming the motor is in proper tune)
Old     (tumblesalot)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-11-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
I think that I am getting about 4900 rpm now with the 11.5" prop. It is not at the max rpm for the motor at WOT. I gained about 300 rpm at WOT as compared to the stock 13" prop. Did not seem to help the hole shot.

When pulling waterskiers do most people push the throttle to the max when starting? I have been and sometimes wonder if the water is cavitating for a little bit before the boat takes off.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-12-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
You will want to shorten the rope, not lengthen it. Try running at 15off.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-12-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Pulling up a big waterskier I take about one and a half to two seconds to get to full throttle. If they're really light I might take another full second so I don't rip the rope out of their grip.
4900 is a good RPM for WOT with your engine. The stock prop was probably to high for your altitude. You still have some more to go if you ever want to run an 11" or 10.5".