Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-19-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
My family is looking at a brand new 2007 Sanger V230 and I have a few questions about this boat. We are doing a water test on Saturday because we have never been in or behind a Sanger. I plan on boarding, driving, surfing, and pretty much putting the boat through its paces. However, I would like to go into this water test well informed.

1. We would like to replace the rear tanks with fat sacks, but I don't know what size fits and if I add more to the back do we HAVE to add more to the front (part of the reason we are getting a v-drive is to not have sacks on the floor.)

2. Is one side better for surfing? We are all regular footed and surf the port side.

3. Is chine lock a big problem in this boat?

4. What do you all think of the Scorpian 330HP engine? Is that big enough for this size boat?

5. What do you all think of the "Chubby tower"? Is it sturdy? Easy to fold down? Quiet?

6. We surf about 60%, board 30%, trick and water ski the other 10% of the time. Will this boat kick up a great surf wake with extra weight?

Anything else I should know about or look for when testing this boat?

Thanks, Patrick
Old    walt            02-19-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
#1 Sangers typically like more forward weight.

#2 I've never surfed behind the 230 but most boats have one side that's better than the other.

#3 The 23 will Chine lock when slammed with weight. I don't think I would say it's a big problem.

#4 The 330 should get it done with the right prop.

#5 The chubby tower is great. I wish I had it on my V210.

#6 I'm sure the surf wake will be more than adequate but not the best out there. The wake is great for wakeboarding when weighted right. Doug (Load) has one and seems to have a great weight combination for wakeboarding.

I'm guessing that it has a pretty big bump for water skiing but I don't have any first hand experience with that.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-19-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I have a 230 and will try to answer your questions.

1. I run the hard tanks, plus 250. With the hard tanks out you could run up to the 750 fly highs if you wanted.

I also run 400 under the rear seat and then an additional 450 in the walkway.

2. don't surf much so can't answer those questions.

3. When weighted the boat does turn like a tank but it will come around.

4. Have the 330 and no problems getting on plane. I did reprop when I added additional weight.

5. Get the Chubby tower, over the standard swoop, much sturdier. I fold mine down for storage no problems.

All in all I love the boat, sometimes it seems big, but then I love having the space.Upload The Wake
Old    walt            02-19-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Doug,

I took my boat out Saturday and didn't have the wake dialed in at all. I was missing your wake.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-19-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses!

We are all beginner to intermediate boarders (basic w2w jumps and 180's) and I really don't see us progressing much past that. We really like to surf and will probably remove the hard tanks and put in Fly High 750's if you say they fit.

What do you mean by drives like a tank? I have only driven pre 05 VLX's that were LOADED down and if its like that then I don't see any problem with the handling of the V230.

Do you have any pics of the Chubby tower folded down and or pics of the surf wake?

Also, what are some of the love/hates of your boat? I know we all have things that we LOVE and other things we wish our boat didn't have/do. I would be very interested to hear your opinion!
Old    walt            02-19-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
Upload
Old    walt            02-19-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   

quote:

I have only driven pre 05 VLX's that were LOADED down and if its like that then I don't see any problem with the handling of the V230.

The V230 handles at least that well.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-19-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Good to hear! That wake is NICE!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-19-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
You might want to get the Bennett hydraulic plate as an option. It will let you tune the surf wake and get you on plane faster.
Here are a couple of pics of the Chubby on my 215
Upload
Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-20-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Art, with your tower down, the front legs appear to stick up about a foot higher then the windshield. Is that correct, or is it just the picture? With the tower down does it fit through a standard garage door?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-20-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Patrick,

I think it may be close to fit in a standard garage. Mine sits outside. The 230 sits higher on the trailer than the 215. Also at least with mine when you fold down the tower I remove the reaf bench cushion and the tower rests on the edge of the seat base. Looks like Walt answered the handling question, he has driven both.

I love the boat, not sure I would really change much. It is really pretty simple and definitly does not have the bling of some other boats.

Good Luck!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-20-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
If the 230 is anything like the 215 you will love the surf wake and its best on the port side. I sack the hell out of mine and it throws a waist high wave that's about 20-25 feet long. I can only imagine the 230 throws an even bigger wave. Here's a few pic's to show ya (they've been on here before)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-20-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Patrick, mine fits in an 8' door but would not go in a 7' door. Mine is the D215 so the tower does not go down quite as far as the v drives. The engine cover storage area gets in the way a bit.
It is well above the windscreen.
Mine makes no noise.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Patrick,

I made cables for my tower. They screw into the top section, and they hook on the hole in the tower base. Something like $15 in parts and cables. There is a post on this forum that has pictures. When they are in, the tower doesn't rest on anything, and the front legs of the tower top are actually lower than when the tower is all the way down.

As for the garage opening. You can put a trailer in any opening that it will fit into with a couple of inches on each side. I will have to measure the door, but I back mine into a public storage facility unit with a roll up door. Seriously, I have like 2" in each side, no more. I will take pictures because I impress myself every time we put her to bed.

I learned that it was easiest if I pushed her in once the wheels were through the threshold. And when I hook up, I pull the boat out until the wheels are once again at the threshold.

Enjoy the V230, I love mine. Happy to share some pics, just PM me.

She's my profile pic.

Toneus

==========================

Here is text from a previous post. You will see that I looked at the performance numbers for my prop selection.

I can say that Eric has been an excellent source of information for me. I contacted him directly, and he walked me through the details.

As for heavy loads. My new OJ 3 blade does an excellent job at getting my Sanger V230 out of the hole. If you are not familiar, it's a big boat! Add ballast, and a few passengers, and you're pushing some serious water.

See my original post for prop selection information. Eric recommended that I switch to a 3 blade for my 1 to 1 V-Drive application.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/462128.html

The original 4-blade 13 x 14 1 1/8" performance was, GPS verified 40 MPH at Full Throttle RPM 4200 (4800-5200 WOT).

My desire was to get a better hole shot, and to move my Full Throttle numbers up into the WOT range.

The new 3-blade 13 X 12 LC 1 1/8" XMP really let the engine run. Difference being 3 vs. 4 blade, and two inches of pitch and CNC machining.

New performance numbers are 41 MPH at full throttle RPM of 4875. I now have higher RPMs on the hole shot, and a serious launch.

Just last week my brother and I both boarded at the same time, with at least 6 passengers in the boat. It was "Tons of Fun", and there was no difference getting out of the hole. Seriously, there was NO problem pulling two 220lb grown men out of the water.

Eric, thanks for the time, and the excellent information and product.

Toneus

(Message edited by toneus on February 20, 2008)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-21-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Toneus, thanks for the info on the cables! Width isn't really an issue (it will be close, but it will fit) but the height of our garage is. We are going to bring a tape measure up with us and see if the tower will be able to lay down and still fit in the garage. We have spent 3 summers lifting our tower off and on 3-4 days a week and we are tired of it.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-23-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
Here is our new boat! We signed papers and put money down on it today after water testing it. We pick it up 3 weeks from today! I can't wait to get out and start riding! Upload
Old    walt            02-23-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Congrats Patrick.

That looks just like Coops 215.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-23-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
It's a beauty Patrick
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-23-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
Congrats, what options did you get. Is it an 08? What are they going for now? We love our 06 215 enjoy
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-24-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
It's an 07 (last one they had in stock)It has the SS package, chrome package, black scorpian engine, wake series 2 (3 tank ballast), chubby tower, fiberglass platform, and other stuff. It doesn't have PP, a stereo, or board racks, but I have already bought some racks and am working on the other stuff.
Old     (dwakesetter)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Patrick, what are those boats behind the sanger with the windsheild wipers. At first glance I thought that they were trucks.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-24-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
LOL, they are some type of fishing boats. This dealer is right up on the Columbia River and sells fishing boats, sangers, and some I/O's. Although, from the looks of the dealership they sell a LOT of fishing boats.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
Bring up an old thread...

Does anyone have pictures of where the speakers are located in a V230? Ours came without a stereo. I know where the HU goes, but not too sure about the speakers. I am just looking to put in 4-6 6.5" cabin speakers.

Thanks, Patrick
Old    mendo247            03-22-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
WOW! Nice looking boat. Not sure how i missed it earlier lol. Your gonna love it. My 215 has two speakers below the rear seat one below the spotter seat and one by the driver. If you need pics i can post later.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
Richard, thanks for the info! I like your profile pic, but it looks like your sinking LOL.