Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
I just added 5ft to my rope length and I noticed that I was a lot slower back there, and there seems to be more drag. I was not responding well on my toeside jumps; I couldnt get up to a decent speed until about 15-20ft from the wake, which was really slowing me down. I bumped the speed from 22mph to 23mph to fix them problem. Is this normal? I thought that was a big boost in speed for only 5ft of rope. Does that mean I will have to bump up 1mph for every 5ft of rope?
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-08-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
I generally give the rider about .5 to .75 mph difference with every 5 feet. If they extend the rope 5 feet, I start them off by speeding them up by half a mile per hour and vice versa.

McFly
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Marty, how do you control speed within fractional mph? Are you talking about perfect pass settings?
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-09-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Perfect Pass settings, typically. But if you have to drive by hand, go by a combo of the speedometer and the tach.

McFly
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-09-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, you need to speed it up with a longer rope. It sounds crazy when you hear about guys riding at 27 MPH, until you drop a rope out there at 85 feet.

You also have a lot longer to set up for a trick, so you can build the edge alot longer.