Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (nt1964)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-10-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
Hi all,
season is gone for us up here in NH, it's been a great summer, and it's time to think about upgrades for next year.
Looking to get a tower and a ballast for my 2000 MC 205V.
What do you recommend for a tower, and I was wondering how much weight I should add for a ballast and what type of a set up. The boat has a 310HP engine.
I would like to keep things simple. I don't need a world class wake, just a decent one.
Pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.Upload
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
I'd recomend the New Dimensions OEM Mastercraft tower it's expensive $1995 but it will fit that boat perfectly and look like it's straight from the factory. www.newdimensiontowers.com

As far as ballast I would the Flyhigh v-drive sacs and either the Flyhigh integrated bow sac or locker sac. I don't know if you have locker in the boat. Theres lots of people on this site than can tell you exactly how to get a great wake out of this boat. I'm sure you know it's the same hull as the current X1.

The season ended quickly up here in northeast. It kinda seemed like fall started in mid August. Oh well only 6 months till next season starts. Great lookin boat by the way.

(Message edited by skier12 on October 10, 2006)
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-10-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Tiger, welcome to wakeworld.com. I think you'll find a great community full of helpful people here. What you're asking has been asked many times over (even by me). If you use the search feature here and enter in weighting an X1/X2/Xstar/205 you'll find countless threads on it. Phat_in_cincy did a great write up on how he installed a ballast system in his 205V, if you search on ballast systems on 205s you're sure to find it. I believe if you look further down the page of Boats and Accessories, you'll find at least one thread dedicated to weighting the 205 hull.

Again, welcome, you have a great looking boat!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Monster towers are considered by most be be the best bang-for-your-buck around these days. Not necessarily the best looking towers on the market, but for the price, you really cant argue. Additionally, I'd get a couple fat sacks and a handful of pop-products lead bags to throw around. That should get you going in the right direction!

-Steve

(Message edited by kingskrew on October 10, 2006)
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-10-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
I agree w/new dimension towers. They will look the best on your boat. As far as the ballast, there are a number of options. Search this site and you'll find lots of ideas. Here is an idea from wakeside to give you an idea of what you will want. Good luck, and welcome to the site.
http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_boat_ballast_systems_v_drive
Old     (nt1964)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-10-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
thanks a million

Tiger
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
I'd agree on the New Dimension Zero Flex replica/OEM tower as matching the lines of the boat and looking factory. If you run a ballast system, go with a through hull scoop and manifold system, this will allow you to "fill on the fly" vs. idling to fill as I have to do on my '01 205V (they drilled the fill holes in the rear under the swim platform) and I added everything else for the bow bag. You can use simer or jabsco for reversible pumps or aerators (mine uses aerator pumps). As Scott mentioned Paul Brothers (Phat_in_Cincy) did a great write-up. You can find the links below. The location for the switches is usually under the throttle (see pic). I run the pro-X 750's in the rear lockers with the locker bag, bow bag and about 800 in pop bags. I have a set of V-drive 400's as well for when there are more people and may just move to them all together. The wake with the 750's and a few people is awesome. (see pic) Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them. Good luck, it's a great hull & boat.

Paul's Ballast write-up:
http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17225

Pauls Boat:
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1482

My MC 205V with Zero Flex Tower
Upload

Dash & Ballast Switches
Upload

Full Ballast Wake: 2 people in boat 80' @ 25mph
Upload
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
You'll also want to replace your prop if you weight it down. I have the 310 and run the Acme 1235. Pulls like a big block.
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
[hyjack]
Gordon man that boats looking sweet! glad your enjoying it! Wake looks nice :-)
[/hyjack/
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-11-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Tiger,
We have that exact boat and the Dimension Zero FLex/OEM tower and it's awesome. It's expensive but worth it.

We also just ordered fly high sacs for our boat. We went with Pro-x 750's for the v-drive lockers, an 800# integrated bow sac, and a 550 for the ski locker. We're putting the switches in the same place as shown above. I chose to go with the aerator pumps and the through hull scoop. This system should be sick to bad I just got all the stuff and by the time I put it in it will be super cold here.

What is that black mat material on your swim platform? and is that stock?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
WOW...thanks for compliments guys!

Tiger...nice lookin' ride.

I agree with Gordon that you'll probably want to end up with a re-prop of the boat. Here's a write-up I did on my selection. I chose OJ, but have also heard good things about the ACME.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9026

My ride is in my profile. Mine was also a PS205v w/o tower (put on by dealer before delivery), ballast (installed by me), or heat (installed by me). The link in my profile will take you to the website of my ride. It also has links to the heater and ballast install threads if you are interested.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_towers/wakeside_element_wakeboard_tower

My first choice would also be the New Dimensions Tower. If you want a very affordable tower with decent looks, look at the link above.

I am installing a ballast this winter on a 99 205V. Going with Pro-X series v-drive bags in the back. Thinking about a custom Pro-X sac for the locker. Standard is 62" length and the locker is 76" I think. Anybody else done this?
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
wow, wakesiderides.com is down......
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Tiger,

I have a 2001 Zero-Flex on my 2000 205V. Same exact boat as yours.

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/ektakkunen/DSCN3204.jpg[/IMG]

I've got a couple old Fly-High's in the VDrive storage, probably 600 each or so, another old fly-high in the ski locker, which would probably be better with a locker sac or something smaller and longer. Finally I had sandbags up front but needed more up front. Thinking about getting a flyhigh integrated bow sac for next year, about $240. Anybody have experience with how this fits in the 205V? Looks like the frontmost "triangle" section is way too big for the boat.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
Tiger,

If you put any weight in the boat at all, your platform will be underwater. With 2000# in the boat, my platform is 5-6 inches deep. I just ordered some new platform brackets for a 2004-2005 X2 that are compatible and are 5 inches longer.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-11-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Erik, you say that like it's a bad thing. heh.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-11-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I am not familiar with this guage - what is it?Upload
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
It's the clarion remote for my M455 deck. Since Perfect Pass acts as my speedo, I didn't need the analog one and it fit in there nicely.
Old     (2mchtime)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
I agree with choosing an MC OEM style tower either New Dimension or XTP.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_towers/xtp_mastercraft_wakeboard_tower

I.M.O. the OEM towers are hands down more aesthetically pleasing than the universal options, which in turn will make your boat more desirable at time of resale. Also, the oem towers only fit right in "one spot" making installation a little less complicated.

Personally, I went with the XTP model from wakeside because I have had nothing but great service from that site. I also had read a few threads on the TMC owners forum that were critical of the timeliness of New Dimension's fulfillment rate. Because I was buying in June, I did not want to chance any potential delay and went with the XTP model. (ND customers feel free to share your experiences, you will obviously have first hand knowledge. I am only explaining my decision process with the info i had available at the time)

The XTP model is $200 more up front but you earn $100 in bonus points to spend on racks and mirrors. If you do chose the XTP model do not expect the billet mounting plates that are shown in the picture and also mentioned in the description specs. Initially, I was quite disappointed when I received my tower and it was missing the billet plates. However, after voicing my disappointment with wakeside it was pointed out that i would actually have more and cheaper rack options with the straight cross members. (something to do with pre-drilled holes in the billet plate only allowed for certain racks to fit without modification) It appears ND uses billet plates on their tower. (you may want to inquire about rack compatibility there as well).

My only other issues with the XTP model are petty but worth mentioning;

1. the wire for the navigation light was too short. (someone should have done little homework on that one)

2. Two allen wrenches are needed to tighten bolts, only one was included. The one included although i do not remember the size it was fairly common. The other (half inch i think) and harder to find was not included. I found it at the local sears $8-$10...(at the very least charge me $8 more up front and it include so i do not have to run around town.)

If you do go other than OEM, i would consider monster as there are an amazing quantity of supporters. I can only say that i have received numerous compliments on my XTP tower since installation from complete strangers.

PS. I hear you on the season being over (i'm just a few miles north of you in maine) I would ride but its tough to drive and board at the same time. Good luck on your choices!
Old     (nt1964)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Wow! Thanks for all responds and advice.
You guys are awesome!
Erik - you are absolutely right, my platform is already underwater even without the wake.
Mark - the black thing is a type of rubber and it came stock with the boat.
Thanks again for all of you,
Tiger
Old     (nt1964)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
without the *wake.

*weight.
Old     (nt1964)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Erik-do you have a system for all the sacs you mentioned?
or do you use a pump such as the tsunami?
If you do use a tsunami,is it a pain?
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Erik,

I'm running the fly high bow sack. It fits but doesn't fill to full capacity. You get maybe 300 or so pounds in it, I use pop bags for the rest of the nose weight. Only drawback is that it has one fill in the center, one vent on each "leg" but only one drain so some water is left in the leg without the drain. Not much, but it would've been nice to have a drain on each leg. The bow sack lets me fill or not depending on if there are people in the bow which if you have all pop bags you're stuck.

Tiger, go with the trouble of setting up a ballast system. It's a one time thing verus filling and draining sacks manually every time you go out. Once you drill that first hole through your boat, the rest come easier.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
I just bought my boat in early August so I have manual pumps at the moment. I plan to try to use them next season, but I may in the long term future try to plumb in a real system.

For now I have fill and drain pumps on all three of my sacs, I have Tsunami pumps for filling and Attwood 750's for draining. Both pumps stay attached to the bags at all times so all I have to do is throw the proper hose over the side of the boat. I also have the pumps wired into a homemade switch panel so I don't have all the cigarette lighter cords going everywhere.

All in all, it is somewhat of a pain, but at least I have eliminated some of the pains, such as the wires to plug in the pumps, the switching ends of the pumps on the bags, etc. The worst part is that in 2000 the 205V has the one peice sunpad, so it when it is up, it is totally cumbersome to movement between the swim platform and the main cabin.

The Tsunami's are super fast, I would recommend using 1 inch inside diameter tubing to not choke them off too badly.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-13-2006, 12:04 AM Reply   
GORDON- The change as been made so all of the Integrated bow sacs have fill/drain ports at the ends of each leg.

TIGER- This year Fly High had an 05' 205V as a promo boat for the season. We have 2 "750's" in each side of the V-drive that fit great but IMO you could get away with a pair of the V-drive sacs "450's".
We have a Tube sac in the locker and an integrated bow sac in the front but sometimes keep it on top of the seats so it can fill 100%.

The boat has the original X-star hull so as you know the wake has a good shape even w/o add. weight.

Being a mfg.ing company we put our stainless steel Pro X tower on it as well. Sells for $1699.99 I tried to upload a pic but it was not working so i will email you a copy. good luck. And CONGRATS! on your new boat.