Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-30-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
My boat was burglarized last year so I am starting over in the amp department..

I am wanting to power 4 Polk Audio 6 1/2" (MM6501-UM) speakers and a Polk Audio 10" Sub (MM1040-UM). I was thinking of running it all with a single Alpine 5ch amp (PDX-5M http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ne-PDX-5M.html).

Is this going to be enough amp or should use separate amps for the speakers /subs? If not, what amp do you recommend?

Prior to the burglary I was running it all with the JL Audio MHD900/5 but the amp kept cutting out when stereo was turned up to about 3/4.

Thanks in advance, I am a stereo idiot...

Speaker/Sub Links
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm...php?s=mm6501um
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm...php?s=mm1040um
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-30-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
I'm not a fan of 5 channel amps, but do like the simplicity. That Alpine will do just fine, but if I were you I'd get the new Precision Power P900.5, pocket the $350 you saved, and be happy with the addition output over the Alpine. The new PPI Phantom series are getting rave reviews

http://www.precisionpower.com/html-v...ps/P900-5.html
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-30-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
Whats the deal with the PPI amps?? looks like lots of bang for the buck.Anybody try them??
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-30-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
Is the PPL marine rated? I had an older model PPL in my last boat and I think it was but I don't see anything on this one.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-30-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
I have the Polk D5000.5 which appears to have identical "guts" to the Precision Power P500.5. It has been confirmed by a representative from PPI on the DIYMobileAudio.com forum that they used the same board as the Polk D series amps but he was vague about whether the components were the same or not. Look at the pictures on SonicElectronics and you be the judge. IMHO they're identical accept PPI and Polk mount the boards the opposite way.

The two main differences are the price (Polk is more) and the Polk is marine certified. Due to the marine certification and the fact that the P500.5 wasn't yet available I went with the Polk. It's got a lot of "balls" if you will. It's 1 ohm stable on the sub channel so I have it connected to a dual 2 ohm sub wired in parallel.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-30-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Jeff nailed it, the new PPI's are identical to the Polk D series.

Marine certification only matters to me when it comes to component speakers. It's not worth the extra cost for nominal protection. If moisture is a concern use damp-rid.
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-30-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I ordered the Polk Audio PA D5000.5. The only reasons I went with Polk over PPL was because all my speakers are Polk and Amazon had it for $321.88 which was $20 more than PPL, so why not..
My JL Audio amp was like $750 so y'all saved me a ton!

Thanks again,

Chris