Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    scubastevebps            02-28-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Looking for new 6.5" speakers for my 01 SAN. I did post this on planet nautique, but didn't get much input. Curious on what I should get. Looking to spend about $500 and will be pushing them with a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600X4. I just need to replace 4 of them, I don't have any in the bow. I'm possibly looking at MB Quart RCE 216
Need any input on what speakers, coaxial or component, marine or not. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-28-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
are you looking for clarity or loudness ? Or both ? Focal 165CV are really great sounding and are rated @ 93db. acaraudio.com just put them on sale $219 a set. I just ordered a set of Cadence 6.5 CVL-6 speakers @ 96db. I have'nt heard them yet but everything said about them has been good. They are $230 set and can handle alot of power 200 rms.
Old    scubastevebps            02-28-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Actually, you just read my mind. I was looking at focal 165cv. I have my tower box loaded with 6 focal 690cv and these are extremely clear and super loud. Looking more for clarity, these are going in the bottom of the boat. I feel like I loose vocals and highs from the speakers that I have now.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-28-2005, 5:52 PM Reply   
That's good advice from Kristian, get something efficient. Personally I think the MBQs are designed for quiet cabins, not loud boats. Can you fit the face of a 6.75 speaker like the Polk db675? The Polk stuff is pretty bright and the efficiency is pretty good as well. There is no way I would spend $500 on speakers for inside the boat, I think you can get very good speakers for about half that, 96db from Cadence, that is tempting if you don't have good tower speakers that overpower them anyway.

Planetnautique has been down all weekend, probably one of the reasons you are not getting any replies.
Old    bigdeal            02-28-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
Kinda in line with what Mikeski mentioned, I'd suggest you check out some Alpine SPS-170A's. I have two pair of them inside my boat powered by a Kicker 300x4 amp and they sound great. They also compare very favorably, sound wise, to the Polk DB675's Mikeski suggested but are somewhat less expensive (around $55 / pair on Ebay).
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-01-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
I third, fourth and fifth the Focal speakers. I have six 165CV's on my tower and six in the boat. Love them! They sound great cranked way up. I picked up all mine off Ebay. Great prices. Can't beat it!

I highly highly suggest the Focals. Clear loud sound! Only one thing bad about the Focal's, their a French company. The only thing I've purchased by a French company in the past 4 years. I power mine with Alpine V12's. Very clean amps.