Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-05-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
New to the board, been trying to find lessons for my kids on the South River outside Annapolis. Wiling to pay or trade sets to get the kids some ideas on how to progress. Anyone know anyone who wants to make some $ or get free rides in?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
I can't find it but I believe Mike Stellabotte had somewhat of a school setup called Naptown Riding. Not sure if it's still around but that'd probably be your best bet on the South River. Not much riding gets done on the South River although there are several boats ranging from decent to X-Star so you may be able to ask around.

I'm a few rivers north of the South, but overall it just feels like wakeboarding is dying out in the area.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-07-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
I actually see a fair amount of wake boarding on the South, some new boats out this season as well. We have a Air Nautique 226 Team Edition at the head of the south, right day and time and the water is like a lake West of the Riva Bridge. No luck on lessons, looking to get someone that can help my kids progress. They get lots of time behind boat, but I can't teach them to go wake to wake.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-08-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
http://www.lakeannabuzz.com/web/kylebarmoy/index.htm

Not in your area, but down on Lake Anna Kyle Barmoy does some coaching.

We also have clinics up here in NJ each summer. Check www.offshoremarinenj.com for a session coming up soon with Adam Wensick.
Old     (onecrazyredhead)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-10-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
If my boat is ready next week you could hook me up with gas money and i take you and your kids out on my boat. have a tower and i am ok at wakeboarding i can get them up. it will be cheaper than wake school.
Old     (onecrazyredhead)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-10-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
i am in patuxent river calvert county. send me a private message with your phone number we can talk.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-10-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
My kids are up and boarding, so am I, no one going wake to wake yet but my 9 year old adds a new trick almost everyone we go out. He has perfected his butter slide, can get almost to middle of wake with air, big part of problem may be I'm not pulling him with enough speed. Getting up is not an issue, just trying to get them someone that can advance them fiurther then I can.
Old     (rwrasta52)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
In addition to trying to find coaching I would recommend educating yourself about wakeboarding as well if you are not already doing that. Just because you may not board alot yourself doesnt mean you cant learn to understand the fundamentals of things like wake jump variations and make yourself able to spot things that your kids may be doing wrong. You can watch youtube videos from users like learnwake, monkeyseevideos, expertvillage for some limited tips to help progression. You can also buy a membership to the learnwake site to have your kids watch videos or watch them yourself and communicate your knowledge to them to help them progress. None of those will be as good as a hands on approach with a 9 year old but it would be a good start.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Thanks, Rob, I used LearnWake last year, been using WakeMD App on iPad from Shaun Murray this year to teach the kids a few things before we go out. That's exactly what I'm trying to do, be solid in the foundation so I can coach them as well. I probably need to speed the boat up for my 9 year old to get more air, he has progressed quickly from no ballast to full ballast. Any recommendations for boat speed? He is 73 pounds, rides a Liquid Force Nemesis 124. I've been progression him to faster boat speed, he's now riding at 15, but I feel like he needs more pull to get more air. I like the slower boat speed as he works on his slides, and he needs to start working on riding switch more. He watched the video on switch this morning. He rides 4-5 times per week so I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
Old     (kpitchfo)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-06-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to see an interest in wakeboarding in Annapolis. My parents live on the water near the Naval Academy (right near Cantler's, actually) and I was always happy to see other wakeboarders out there. I was especially excited to see other wakeboard boats. I moved to New York last summer to attend graduate school, and made the tough decision to sell my beloved X-star. As a result, whenever I'm back in town I'm always looking for ways to get back out on the water.

I'm going to be back in town Monday, August 20th 2012 through the 31st and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on finding a way to ride. I noticed there are a number of parents on the board looking for ways to help their kids improve. This may sound like sort of an odd idea, but I would be happy to help. I can do basic inverts (toeside and heelside), spins (up to 540), and other tricks (raley, etc.), but have spent most of my time helping my friends and friends of friends learn the basics (proper edging, toeside jumps, etc.). It's just an idea, and obviously one both the parents and the kids would have to be comfortable with, but perhaps there's an opportunity for me to teach for a few hours in exchange for a couple of pulls behind the boat.

If you have any ideas, or are interested in the idea proposed above, feel free to send me a message. In any case, enjoy the summer!

- Kevin
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
Hey Kevin,

We ride 1 hour from NYC if that's where you are for graduate school. I have a friend that comes down often from Manhattan so if you need a pull in sept (X-star) we're here!
You can also check us on facebook.com/centraljerseywakeriders

-Dave
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
I just rode with Jerry Nunn in PA today and found out he is doing a clinic this sunday on the Severn river in Annapolis. Maybe you can reach out to him somehow.
Old     (kpitchfo)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-12-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
Hi Dave. Thanks for the info! I do live in NYC and have been looking for ways to get on the water. I tried to use the link you provided above, but it didn't work. I want to check your website so I can see if I would need to take the train down or a rental car. 1 hour from NYC isn't too bad.

Also, I'm still in NYC for another week before I head down to Annapolis for a few weeks, so it looks like I just missed Gerry. Too bad! Thanks for the heads up. One more thing, if you have any more information on wakeboarding (or cable parks) in and around NYC, please let me know. I want to go as much as I can this year but then make a concerted plan to go every other weekend next season. Thanks!

Kevin
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-13-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Ted,
It definately sounds like your pulling him too slowly, step it up to 21mph - 22.5mph. When he cuts through the wake does the line stay tight? (have him "load the line" with a progressive edge).
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-02-2012, 8:10 PM Reply   
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/115974591750571/

Kevin,

Try the link above, or when on facebook search "central jersey wake riders"

Not sure if there are any cable parks anywhere near NYC, just Brownstone Park in CT.

www.wakeoff.com is the local contest in Jersey on Lake Hopatcong coming up in 2 weeks.
We should be riding for at least another month down here.