Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
I personally find that wakeworld seems to be a more adults orientated site, and that wakeboarders forum boards have more kids (under 15) on them...

Just curious, do you prefer one site or anothers forum boards or do you use them equally?

I visit wakeboarder.com to read articles but only post on wakeworld myself.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
I got tired of getting heckled by children....
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-02-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
Just stay in the boat section and you'll be okay. They ( the children ) know only old farts go there.

(Message edited by sydwayz on August 02, 2005)
Old    murrayair            08-02-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
The message boards on Wakeworld seem to be a little friendlier, that's for sure. A few years ago the Wakeboarder.com boards were a great place to talk to other people, but in the last year or so it seems that when you post anything some people just want to tell you how stupid you are(it's usually the same people every time). To Wakeboarder.com and Pat McCarthy's credit, the vast majority of people on the forums are really nice, and the moderators seem to have been cracking down on negative people. Both sites are very well put together and maintained.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-02-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
50 posts on wakeboarder, 2500 + on wakeworld for me.
Old    alanp            08-02-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
i find the overall tone much nicer on this site. alas i rarely post on wakeboarder.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
wakeworld all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    wickedwake            08-02-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
wakeboader.com is a bunch of flaming posers...It is like a battle zone over there.
Old    sking55405            08-02-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
go wakeworld!!!!!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-02-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
I don't have as many bad things to say about wakeboarder. I just don't like the site layout. I prefer the wakeworld layout.
Old    sking55405            08-02-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
go wakeworld!!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
pot meet kettle.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-02-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
I like WakeWorld better! :-)
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-02-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
I hate all the flaming piece of on wakeboarder.com. WakeWorld is MUCH better.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-02-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
Ya know what, I never even noticed it till this thread popped up, but I really prefer WakeWorld to Wakeboarder mainly because of a maturity gap. We all seem a little more grown up and more open to discussion rather than some reoccuring incidents that bother me on Wakeboarder. Mainly the way they treat noobs, or the way I see them treat noobs. They could be great for all I know, but my experience is not that way.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
I posted like 3 or 4 times on Wakeboarder.com and 1000+ more on WW.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-02-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
Wakeboarder.com definitely has a lot of immature teens and young men at that. Its almost inevitable that someone will get flamed or made fun of in any given thread. I dont ever post on wakeboarder but occassionaly lurk.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
never visited wakeboarder.com but It can't honestly be better than this. this is as good as it gets :-)
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Aren't we all the same people? Who here isn't a member of 'that other site' ?
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
I am completely addicted to both sites.

I have found equal trash talking on both sites. I have found on this site that people try to discredit me because I am young and seem to think that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm only 20. I have found on the other site that people try to discredit others because they make stupid posts.

This site, as was said before, is more of a collection a mature crowd (mature meaning age, not necessarily the way that people act). From what I have gathered from lurking on this site for well over 6 years, and never posting until about a year ago, is that the people here are more about HAVING the 'best' wake and the 'best' brand and not necessarily being able to ride it. The smack talking here is over what brand of boat you own, and if you don't own a boat than many people don't care.

Wakeboarder.com tends to be a collection of a younger crowed (not ALWAYS younger acting though). The smack talk on wb.com is mainly drawn from the stupid ranking system (if Pat would get rid of this than I think a good amount of things would change). Due to the ranking system alot of 'newbies' get picked on for things that most people find annoying (posting a new thread about something that has been beat to death in at least 5 others in the past week). The rest of the bashing is pretty much geared towards people who can't jump wake to wake and are riding a new parks setup and riding behind an $80k Xstar.

So, to sum up my essay, trash is talked, IN MY OPINION, on both sites, over different things. Both end up being like a 'good old boys' club. But I really have to give props to Dave Williams and Pat McCarthy because without them and their excellent sites I would be a much more productive individual with much better grades in college. I also, however, would me a much worse wakeboarder with little to no knowledge about the sport.

*Raises Glass*
To Dave and Pat!
*Drinks a refreshing frosty brew*

(Message edited by agfan12 on August 02, 2005)

(Message edited by agfan12 on August 02, 2005)
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-02-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
All depends on what you are looking for. Wakeworld for information and help, wakeboarder for chicks in bikini and slutty clothing pics. I visit both.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
Enlightening post Daniel, I like what you had to offer and agree with most of it, though the criticism about WW and the battle of brands I find to be a bit off-target, but it does exist to some degree.
Old    socalgrl79            08-02-2005, 11:11 PM Reply   
I've checked out Wakeboarder.. I prefer the layout and people on WW. :-)

-Amy
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 11:11 PM Reply   
From what little browsing I've done on Wakeboarder.com, I can agree with the idea that Wake World offers a much more inviting environment. Seems to be less competition/arguing and more substance here IMHO. I also agree with Daniel, however, in that both sites are entertaining to browse and are definitely helpful.
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-03-2005, 1:01 AM Reply   
Im a wakeboarding junkie. Always check out wake.com.au for my local scene, wakeworld then wakeboarder. Did notice the dempographic diference between the two U.S sites
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2005, 5:21 AM Reply   
wake.com.au seems to get the scoop on new equipment before Wakeworld but that is the only advantage.
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-03-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
www.wake.com.au has the scoop again, all 06 Hyperlite board graphics up now
Old    krissi            08-03-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
I'm always afraid to post anything on wakeboarder, people are always down your throat.
Old    swass            08-03-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
DOOOOOODS! Y R U all hatein on the Wakeboarder hizouse????? It be strate up dope, yo! U r justa bunchof old hatars!
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-03-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
Wakebaorder is great to talk trash, you need to keep the skills sharp.....what better way to dis a 16 year old.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Swass,
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-03-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
WAKEWORLD AND ENDOFROPEGANG ARE MY FAVORITES!!!! I PRIMARILY POST ON ENDOFROPEGANG BUT LATELY HAVE FOUND POSTING HERE IS WAY FUN!!!! I LIKE THE FREEDOM OF PRETTY MUCH BEING ABLE TO POST WITHOUT GETTING REPREMANDED (SP?) FOR OFFENDING SOMEONE! NOT THAT I POST THAT TERRIBLE OF STUFF BUT THIS SITE IS A LITTLE MORE OPEN AND LESS FAMILY ORIENTED!

CLICK CLICK GURGLE GURGLE GURGLE COUGH COUGH OH YEAH!!!!!!!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
i failed to mention that everyone I ride with on a regular basis I have met on wakeworld. 10+ people that I ride with on a regular basis.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
lmao
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
The crowd on WakeWorld is definitely better than Wakeboarder.com, but there are a lot of threads on this message board to the effect:

Joe Blow: Hey dude, I had a great time in your boat.

ABC: Ya, it was fun. Say "Hi" to your wife for me.

Joe Blow: OK. She says "Hi" too.

Come on people, use e-mail for this BS.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
John's definitely got a point. I've noticed a slight upsurge in all caps typers on WW recently as well...
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
John, I completely agree about the threads.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-03-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
That's funny you said that John...some of those same Joe Blow's and ABC's are the same folk that chime in with "wrong forum", "use search", or other such comments when they're blasting others for "mis-using" the general wakeboard forum. I always thought that was somewhat hypocritical.

Don't get me wrong, I love lurking on this site and have picked up some good info. Hell, I feel like I know half of these folks.

As far as information goes, I feel like I learn stuff from both sites. They've both got threads that don't show up on the other.

wakeworld seems like the better site to meet 3rds and stuff.
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
"By David Williams

I like WakeWorld better!
"

LOL!

I like phpbb but Wakeworld has better content and cooler peeps. Plus I cant see some threads with pictures over there unless I use Firefox.
Old     (jiujitsuabs)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
I find Wakeworld very informative and a great resource for and wakeboard topic.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   

quote:

Plus I cant see some threads with pictures over there unless I use Firefox.

i guess i'm special since i can view pics on wb.com and i'm not even on firefox.
Old    mattreid            08-03-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Well I don't get here often but prefer this site to wb.com
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
I have lurked on wakeboarder in the past, but not in over a year. For the most part I enjoy wakeworld, but I agree with John about the mass post that directly address every single person who posted. Our group uses email and the reply all function for that because I am sure that everyone on this board would not be interested in our conversations. The thread hi-jacks have gotten to be a bit much, as well. However, that doesn't have anything to do with the site itself!
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
I prefer the layout on WW also. I like how you can scroll down for all the posts and are not required to go from page to page. Must less effort to scan the posts that are not the most recent. I also have noticed that the age bracket seems to be older on WW and the maturity level higher. Pat's a great guy and has a great site so I like both! But with my time at more of a premium these days usually just hang here.... Props to Dave.

Oh, and I also love how WW sends you every new post and you can see it in your email. Wakeboarder.com sends you a notice and then you have to click on the link. Obviously better to get the hit count up on the site but much not as convenient for the users. Hopefully Dave's kids don't starve because he doesn't require you to go to the site to view every new post! :-)
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
I've also noticed there are more SoCal people on this board than WB.com (which is great for me since since I live in SoCal).

~J.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-03-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
ALL CAPS IS FUN TO USE KIDS!!!!
CLICK CLICK GURGLE GURGLE GURGLE COUGH COUGH OH YEAH!!!
Old    roxy_babe            08-03-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
i hate wakeboarder.com that is the reason i moved over here i am 14 and if you want to check it out go ahead but i wouldnt sign up! if you are a newbie they terrorise you and most of them are totally childish!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I like wakeworld better but i think the boards need an update for functionality and appearance...There aren't many features on this board, however i find myself lurking here a lot more than over there..
Old    chavezychavez            08-03-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
First off, my dad can beat up your dad.

Now that I got that out of the way...

Lurk and occasionally post on this site, have the most posts on the other.

Primary reason: I don't feel "under the thumb" over there. I can get into a heated debate, and not worry about it getting shut down.

Read my posts, you will find that very little of my content is pointless or useless, most all contains something of value.

As far as the whining about "too many kids" or "too much arguing" goes, if you can't take the heat, don't go in the kitchen. I would MUCH rather have an animated debate, than a pleasant debate about why my Nauti/Porsche is better than yours. By the way, the kids either: a) get ignored; or b) get shut down quick. Besides, this adds color to the site. There can be much entertainment value found in some of the "worthless" posts, in the same way much entertainment value can be found in watching people at the launch ramp.

So, in sum, I don't post here much because: This site lacks passion.

Besides, we have the perpetual party pic thread (thank you B!) and the Reef Girls.

(Message edited by chavezychavez on August 03, 2005)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
I know the real reason Chavez, you are in love with your post count on wb.com
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Ignoring the debate about the posting content quality...

I much prefer the "simple" WW message board format -- not so busy -- none of that ratings crap.

These days people don't appreciate simplicity. For example, I use a stop watch when I grill steaks and it is so hard to find a simple start/stop/clear stopwatch these days -- every stopwatch has a zillion modes to get rat holed into. If I push the wrong button, then its hard to get back to the desired mode. OK, I vented.

I think both WW and WB are great for different and common reasons.
Old    swass            08-03-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Just use one of those digital or dial-type kitchen timers. Unless you need that 100th of a second accuracy.
Old    swass            08-03-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
Sorry Melissa - that was a bit of a post hijack. Please forgive me!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
Hijack on.

I sort of like the stopwatch hanging from my neck because I am usually running around getting many things done.

BTW, for fillet mignon, I have found that 3H-3H-3M-3M works really good on my weber gas grill (thats minutes and high or medium settings). I get cross marks and a nice medium rare.

Hijack off.
Old    chavezychavez            08-03-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   

quote:

I think both WW and WB are great for different and common reasons.

Now that I can agree with! There is good info in both places, but each place has a different way of presenting it.

For me WB is easier to use. I feel like I am in an early 90's BBS over here...

EDIT: BTW, the rating system has been done away with. So everyone who is complaining about it: complain no more!

(Message edited by chavezychavez on August 03, 2005)
Old     (prior40)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-03-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
I prefer the layout on WB.com to this, so I tend to cruise there more often. It is true that people get flamed a lot, but I don't think it is anything to get too upset over. Sometimes people keep asking or posting the same exact thing over there and it becomes old very, very fast.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
One of the major things I prefer WB is that you don't scroll down an entire post ( if it's a popular post) to read the latest comment.
Each site has it's +/- . It your decision to deal with it or not.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
april, trust me when i say that if you type in here the way you typed in wb.com, don't think people won't rip on you.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-04-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
The deal with wakeboarder.com is that it puts your post count by your name. Many people will judge you by that and cut you down. Even if you are 30 years old and have a post count of 15, you are gona get treated like you are 15. On here it list your name with your post and that is it, so you are just another pea in the pot and treated like everyone else.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
actually, if you post like a 15yr old, you'll be treated as such. they don't rip on people for no reason.

oh, and if you post like a 15yr old here, you'll get ripped on as well.

as for the post count, i voted to do away w/ it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
WB.com sucks
Old     (shoe4hire)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-04-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Each has good info I really like to use both.
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
The biggest reason I like wb over ww is the style of forum. Despite this board that looks like it's straight out of the 90s, the post column is too large. Studies have proved that shorter line lengths increase reading speed and comprehension.

"The optimal text line length is dependent upon several factors. It is commonly recommended that shorter line lengths (about 11 words) should be used in place of longer, full-screen lengths. This is because longer line lengths require greater lateral eye movements, which make it more likely to loose one's place within the text (Horton, 1989; Mills & Weldon, 1987). It also has been pointed out by Horton (1989) that longer line lengths are more tiring to read. Horton recommends that lines should be limited to lengths of around 40 to 60 characters, which is approximately 11 words per line. A study by Huey (1968) tends to support this in his finding that shorter line lengths or approximately 4" (10 cm) are more accurate on the return sweep than longer line lengths."
http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/text.htm

wb is still larger than 11 words but it's much better than the full screen view I get here. With a 21" monitor at work my eyes get worked!
Old     (frankie_f)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-04-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
chavie.
3 cheers for the party pics thread!
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-04-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Brad - make the window smaller when you're reading the forum. It'll automatically adjust the line length and adapt to fit one window wide. Just adjust it to you at your 11 words! problem solved.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
why does wb.com suck? because you can't brag about your material possession w/o getting ripped on?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Better question is...do you keep defending WB.com b\c you met Frankie that way.

You are soooo see through,It's rediculous.

Why can't I brag? b\c a 13 year old is gonna rip on me....come on that's like you trying to rip on me.....JOKE!
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-04-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
wb.com is created using forumer.com. It's very easy to use and already set up for you. The moderators have very little to do with setting up that forum. You just select a theme an then 'moderate.' Pretty simple. It has an entire staff whose sole job is to keep it updated and not look "90's".

I'm not sure if Dave is using a third party software to create this site, but I enjoy the simplicity of it. I'd rather scroll have to wait for new pages to load.

I read both and post at both pretty much the same (not very often).
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
no, i keep defending wb.com because not only do i have a lot of friends in there, but the guy that runs the site is a friend as well.

you keep reaching. THAT, is ridiculous. (notice the correct spelling...or is your labtop acting up again?)

why can't you brag? didn't you see the last time you tried bragging about your steeze, you were called out as shallow and pathetic by someone much older than 13yrs. old. in fact, it was in here!

(Message edited by dakid on August 04, 2005)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
b\c you were crying about beeing a bum.

if you remember the thread was about Ryans x-star which is all materialistic,just b\c I was trying to stay within the thread,I was called shallow.Just b\c you ain't got sh*t,your spelling is NOT gonna get you sh*t either,so my uneducated a** is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
Another thing I can't understand is why do you want to keep calling me out???

You also contradicted yourself why I don't like WB.com

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on August 04, 2005)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
bum
n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person:
4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

i fit none of the definitions above. according to definition #3, you're the bum.

seriously, take advantage of this site's spell check feature.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
is that the best you can come up with?

maybe "worthless bum "fit you better.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Well as of the the last 20 minutes on this thread it appears that there is no difference between the two sites.

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
At least on wb.com you can write the hating off to the younger crowd. On ww.com the adults do all the hating. Mature!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
mik ~ NICE!!

take notes Joe
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-04-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
This thread has reached a low it never should have
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
actually, that was directed at you as well.

mik = another friend of mine.

nice try though.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
BK, this thread was doomed from inception.
Old     (jeff206)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Melissa, that's pretty much what I was thinking