Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cromulius)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Can we get some opinions? V drive I'm sure but lets hear it. I like the port side most times but I know some boats have nice waves both sides for my goofy friends. Prop goes which way = nice wave which side?

(Message edited by cromulius on September 19, 2007)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-19-2007, 5:16 PM Reply   
Tige 2300V, hands down.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-19-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Oh please......

Haven't you been reading the other boat posts? Mastercraft -or- Malibu is the best boat ever, and the other is garbage.......The rest of the boats are merely distractions

I think the Nautiques are better suited for the goofy guy (starboard riding) because of prop rotation....
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-19-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
I think all goofy riders (I'm one) should learn to ride backside. I hate moving all the weight around, just to get a crappy (in comparison to the good side) starboard wake. I refuse to do it on my boat.

I think Nautique is pretty much the only towboat mfr that has extensively used RH rotation props anyway, and even they are going away from it recently.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-19-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
New Centurion boats are available with either prop rotation.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
My old tige 21V was always able to get a solid surf without too much weight. (port side)

I miss it some times....
Old     (cromulius)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
Good info guys. I like the idea of creating a big wave without the maximum amount of weight. It sounds like from other posts I have read and people locally that the malibu hulls put out a nice wave. The deeper the hull the more ability it has to handle alot of ballast. I notice that the new wake boats have a huge hull like the mastercraft but I'm not going to drop that kind of bread. I am shoping for a smaller (cheaper) boat in the post 00 years for a huge wave. Any other opinions?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-20-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
I have my 96 Malibu VLX dialed in very well for surfing. It throws one of the nicest surf wakes I've ever ridden, but my buddy's '99 Tigé 2300V is noticeably better (if surf wake is what you're looking for). The VLX wakeboard wake is one of the best ever. The 2300V will throw an amazing wakeboard wake too if it's one of the older hulls without spray pockets. If it has spray pockets, the wake will be foamy on the lip and it's almost impossible to get rid of that.

Tigés are heavier boats to begin with, so they don't need as much added weight. Tigés also ride very well in choppy water, better than my VLX, but the nose is lower on the Tigé. This isn't a problem when you're ass-heavy for surfing, but you do have to be careful when wakeboarding.

It also helps that my seating is not wrap-around, just a front observer seat and separate rear bench. This allows me to put an almost-full 750 along the port side floor between the seats. I have two more 750's in the rear lockers, and a rear seat bottom sack in the locker. Very easy to set up for wakeboarding too; just fill the stbd rear sack the rest of the way and move the one on the floor up into the walkthru.

If you're set on having a good stbd wave on a budget, a 95+ Nautique Super Sport is what you need.
Old     (cromulius)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Anyone have any imput on an x star or a supra launch. Seems like you can get a ssv for a decent price. Looking for pure surf wave, not really into wakeboarding that much.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-20-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
The Launch throws a great surf wake for a DD, but you'll have sacks everywhere. Never surfed behind an SSV. I would guess it's good, but the SSV has kinda low freeboard.

What year Xstar? Assuming you're talking pre-03, it will be about the same as the VLX and Super Sport.
Old     (rmartin)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
Upload
01 X-star has a pretty fun wave. enough weight and you can surf 20 feet pack.
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-21-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
I have an 03 SSV and the surf wake is great for the goofy guy but tends to wash out for the regular guy. I have the stock ballast--800# in the front locker and I run 225# in either of the rear lockers depending on who is going. The pic is showing the stock ballast with 3 people in the boat as well as the wakeplate at 3/4--driver and one person on the back deck and on seated (the photographer) behind him. You have about 15' of wave to play on. The wake becomes huge when more people are in the boat--I have had as much as 7 passengers plus the driver and surfer. The fit and finish of the Supra is excellent. I considered an X star, Tige, Centurion, Air Nautique, and Moomba in spring when I bought and after months of research and pondering, the Supra was by far the best bang for the buck and included the most options of all the boats(the wakeplate is great)Good luck in your search. For comparison, I have surfed behind an X star, Supra direct drive(an 88 mariah open bow with 800# in the back as well as a garbage can in the rear corner), and Air Nautique and the best comperable wake was behind the X Star in my opinion.

Upload

Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-21-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Nice! Here's my VLX's wake. This is my friend Adam riding, who is about 5'-10".
surf
Old     (cromulius)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-21-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
There is a guy here locally selling a 98 tige 22v for under 20k he said is the bottem dollar. It looks to have no spray pockets which it sounds like is debatable if helps the wave or not. He has some ballast set up since the tige did not have any stock. I am thinking about this one. That could be a good surf wave for cheap price. I am currently surfing a 93 hydrodyne ski but would like something that does not take on water over the port side stearn when weighted down.