Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-04-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
Ok so I know this is DTW's job but Im really excited about this match up. Cain seems to get better with every fight and has the total package. He is also a cardio machine. He is basically in my oppinion a little more well rounded then Carwin a tad smaller but you know he won't gas.

On the other side you have the biggest monster the UFC has ever seen. And as big as Lesnar is he also has great cardio and can go into the deep waters of round 4 and 5 and still be dangerous. Here is how I see it stacking up.

Cain
Great striker
Excellent wrestler
Great leg kicks
Good take down defense
Cardio machine
Never gives up - The whole brown pride thing

Lesnar
Ok Striker
Excellent wrestler
Good Cardio
May have a couple submissions but Im not holding my breath
Big - Strong Fast

I think this will be Lesnars biggest test to date. Cain will not give up unless he is stopped. On the other hand, Cain has not fought anyone like Brock, this will be the biggest test of his career. Even though I think Cain is a better all around fighter and I really like him as a person, I am giving the edge to Lesnar on this one. I look for Lesnar to take Cain down and keep him there. If Cain can keep the fight standing I think he may be able to pull it out. I know he has been training with some big wreslters including Lashley who is a phenom. But I am just not sure you could mimick the size strength and speed of Brock Lesnar. Can't wait.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
On the Fighting Words with mike Straka, Cain was talking about his wrestling days. He often wrestled guys that had to cut to get to 280, so he is very used to a guys Lesner's size. Not sure if he is used to Lesner's athleticism, but I think he speed and cardio wins this fight. I think if Carwin/Lesner fight again,Carwin wins. I would almost guarantee he will never punch himself out again, you do that once and you never make that mistake again.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-06-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Brocktober starts tonight on Spike. It is pretty much three weeks of hyping the fight. There is a countdown show for three weeks plus all of the unleashed episodes are supposed to feature Brock. Should be an interesting fight but I think Brock is going to be too big and too strong. I am excited to see a card where some people get knocked out the last couple of cards have been missing the big fire works!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
I simply think Cain is mismatched in this fight. I still think the only person who stands a legit chance of hurting Brock is Carwin. I feel Cain is a wrestler first and a second class wrestler compared to Brock and there will be a significant size difference and that has the most impact on the ground. Brock will be rolling in at 275-280 on fight night and he is going to whip Cain down and pound him out.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Watched the special last night and Brock is a bad man!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-20-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
I can't believe people are not more excited about this fight on here. I think the card looks pretty good. Not to mention the main event is gonna be huge. You can honestly say no one knows what is gonna happen in the main event. I mean I had no idea in the last fight Lesnar was gonna get his butt kicked for a round and then somehow come back and win. It will be interesting to see if Cain's cardio and movement cause problems for Lesnar. I still think Lesnar is going to grab him and use his size advantage to take care of Cain. Can't wait for it only a couple more days. Be sure to catch the countdown show tonight if you are around.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-20-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
I'm hoping for a ground and pound... My vote is for Lesnar. Its hard to go against a guy of that size who can move as fast as he can.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-21-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
As much as I am excited about this fight and think Cain to win, but the Sheilds/Kapmann & Diego/thiago and should be awesome. I agree with most of you all about brock, but with Cain's speed/cardio and overall capability, he has as good of a chance as anyone would have had. I can't wait for the Shields fight. After watching Condit last weekend and the whole division waiting on these guys, it is very exciting. Not to mention that both guys can bang. Diego has been on the slide and needs a win here, so I can see him unleashing the inner beast. I hope Hammil puts and end to Tito's long standing bad boy image. He certainly has the tools to do so. The gonzaga fight is interesting, but not all that relevant. It will be good to see Cote back in the ring as well.

I am excited at Mike for this one.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
I haven't been this excited about a fight card in a long time....it's just stacked. Big party at my buddy's house for this one. I'm TERRIBLE at calling fights...but this is how I see it:

•Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez
-Yes, Cain is apparently a cardio freak of nature, yes he hits harder than any boxer tested on Sports Science http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5710931 , but I just don't see him winning this fight. Brock made a good point at the press conference...he's a Div 1 athlete and the current HW champ, he's not gonna gas either. They're both freaky fast with wrestling pedigrees but I give the edge to Brock in the size and athleticism category. Plus, how can you not go with a guy with such a tremendous beard.
This fight will end either with Brock by decision, or TKO.

•Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Shields
-Really interested to see how the weight cut affects Shields. His dad says he hurt his back 12 weeks ago and the weight cut is difficult. Kampmann is used to the BIG show and is very, very good in almost all aspects of his game. Kampmann by decision

•Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
-Fight of the night potential here. Both coming of losses (Sanchez on a 2 fight skid). I think this fight is Thiago's to win if the right Thiago shows up. He's faced some very tough competition in the past and should be ready to put a hurting on Sanchez. Although I would like to see Nightmare pull this one out, I just don't think it's gonna happen. Paulo Thiago by decision.

•Matt Hamill vs. Tito Ortiz
-100% healthy, 50% healthy....it doesn't matter. IMO, the sun has set on Tito's career. Hamill will bully him around for 3 rounds and win by decision. Walk away Tito, walk away.

•Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub
-Gonzaga has some serious UFC experience along with fighting some top fighters in the heavyweight division. Schaub needs this win, and I'm sure he's been getting better with every passing week. I like the Hybrid in this one by TKO.

Can't wait to see the weigh ins tonight. Bet Shields is gonna be looking rough!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-22-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
I am interested to see if Shields is as boring as everyone says he is. I have only seen him fight Henderson but everything I hear is that he is Jon Fitch #2.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-22-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
I saw Shieds fight on Bully Beat down and of course against a guy who had no training he looked phenomenal. Gonna be an interesting night of fights. The more I watch Cain train the more scary he looks. I think Brock has 2 chances,

1. Pull a Randy Couture and pin cain up against the Cage and impose his will OR
2. Take him down and try and eeek out a boring win on the ground.

I can't see Lesnar trying to stand up with Cain. Cain is a much better all around fighter. Gonna be interesting to see what else Brock brings to the fight this time around
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Shields' fights = paint drying... In any case and personal opinions aside, no way Shields will make it 5 rounds at that weight.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-23-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
Kampmans an idiot,he had that won if he stays away,keeps it standing,and just stick and move.Jakes stand up is absolute novice at best.
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       10-24-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Awesome fight, loved it!

Last edited by dirtysparks; 10-24-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: x
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       10-24-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-25-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
After lesnar got those take downs and that knee... I was thinking it would be a fast win for lesnar, but wow. Cain lit up lesnar, I think lesnar was losing consciousness half way through the time cain started landing punches. He was obviously dazed and confused. Either way, great fight. Would have liked to see it go for a few rounds...
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-25-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Two thoughts #1 Shields is boring as hell. #2 Lesnar has been exposed. I am a Lesnar fan and thought that the Carwin fight was just a minor bump in the road. But it looks like it will be the norm, meaning Lesnar's stand up is not good enough to handle. Once he gets hit he starts peddling back words in the fetal position that is not gonna cut it.
I would like to see Carwin-Cain fight probably what we will see if Cain can get past Do Santos and when Carwin disposes of big country.

The big question is what next for Lesnar. All the reports are Mir but I think we have all seen enough of that.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-25-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I agree. Lesnar may end up ALA Mark Coleman never really being more then a Wrestler he is very uncomfortable on his feet. When he gets hit he goes into fetal position mode I hate when guys do that. Think about it, what is the best thing to do when you get hit? A couple things, either move out of the way side to side and get your composure back, or start letting your fists fly so the guy will back up. MMA fighters who cover up and let themselves be a punching bag are idiots. Tito does that alot to. If you cover up your opponent just starts swinging away and you are at his mercy. You would think they would teach this stuff in camp. I was actually disappointed by the fights. The hyoe was so big it was a let down for me.

Honestly I am not a Dos Santos fan but I think his stand up is even better the Cains. My only fear is just like in the Kongo fight, instead of giving us a good show and standing up with Santos he will try and take him down for a boring fight. I really wish Fedor would sign with the UFC. I still think he has the best stand up and one punch knock out power out there.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-25-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Hell Yhea. Finally the truth is exposed, a Technician will beat up a bully 95% of the time.

Diego is back. Man he looked good.

Kappman just plain looked out of his element.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-25-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
BTW if Dana has Brock fight Mir again I refuse to watch it. Im sick of all these trilogy things. Now they have Penn fighting Matt Huges again. I really am not interested in seeing fighters fight the same guy 3 times. I want to see Hugues against Fitch or someone new. I want to see Mir against Big Country Brock against Dos Santos good matches. Silva against Belfort.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
This just goes to show you how terrible I am at picking fights! Solid night, IMO.

By the way, anyone else notice the Axis Wake Research logo on the front of Patrick Cote's shorts?

Malibu sponsors Carwin, Axis behind Cote. Malibu is on the MMA bandwagon for real. Pretty cool!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-26-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Carwin is out for his next fight against big country because of back problem which is a bummer. Because I want to see Carwin-Cain in the future.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfN-xAZQi4

Taker vs Brock. Wrestlemania

In all seriousness, Brock still has all the weapons to be the best. He needs to get comfortable boxing. If im training brock, i have him spar all day every day. When hes on the attack, no ones stopping that freight train. When he gets attacked, he looks uncomfortable and lost.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-27-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
I personally feel that Lesnar isolates himself in Minnesota and doesn't have a real gym with real training partners that are the caliber of the other top contenders. He is off on his own and it shows, his game is not progressing like it should. He needs to go see Randy and spend a few months training at his gym in Vegas.....or some other dynamic gym.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Finally got around to watching the fight last night. Outclassed, is the only word that comes to mind. It never really looked close to me, which may be due in part because I knew the outcome but Cain was simply much, much better. Brock has a long way to go to stand with Cain and probably even Dos Santos. He tends to really to much on his size and athleticism to win him matches which is great to a point but he clearly doesn't know how to defend himself against someone with good hands. I feel as though he should have two wins before he gets another swing at the belt. Cain v Dos Santos, winner v Carwin.

I also watched Tito v Hammil which was an entertaining fight. Its clear to me that Tito is over ever having a shot to rise to the top again. I like Hammil and his story but he is a 2nd tier fighter and still pretty much dominated that fight. I think Tito will keep fighting as he puts butts in the seats thus cashes a paycheck but the fights will be almost exhibitions. Not sure where Hammil goes from here, maybe another fight with Jones (his only loss ) but Jones dominated that fight and only lost by DQ so I'm not sure I see the point.
Old     (BIZZWSR)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-27-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Crazy thing about the Hammil vs. tito fight is that Hammil made $29,000 with a $29,000 win bonus making his total earnings $58,000. Tito made $250,000. I don't think he puts that many fans in the seats. Tito made more then Cain did.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
I see Tito getting dropped by the UFC. He's lost his last 4 fights.. not having won since defeating Shamrock in 2006. He is also one of the highest paid athletes in the UFC.

Too expensive and not producing results.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
Dana seems to have a nice little prescription for Tito increasing the gate and PPV. He waits long enough inbetween his fight for us to forget how badly he lost his last.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-01-2010, 11:54 PM Reply   
The interviewer in the top vid is my brother: http://www.cagepotato.com/forrest-gr...dick-reporters

Check out his channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/MMAinter.../5/296U123KzyA