Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-14-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have never met anyone that has actually gotten one and dont normally drink more than a few beers if im the primary driver, but I have watched that Boat Patrol on Lake Havasu or whatever it is called and it looks like they dont play.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2008, 4:32 AM Reply   
In some states it's the same or worse as getting a DUI/DWI on the street.

Here in NC, it's 12 pts and loss of license for a yr.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-15-2008, 4:55 AM Reply   
In GA it is just as bad as a DUI. I have heard stories of it costing a person up to $8,000.00 for all the fines, lawyer fees etc. Its not worth it...have a drink or two but keep it in check.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
Yes.

My lawyer told me he'd rather be defending me for murder than a BWI. BWI's are harder to get off than DWI's. Arresting officers have every right to saftey check any boat.

I'll leve my details out as it's still pending, but it is total BS, I was saftey checked at idle in front of a friends lake house. Radio off.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Jason, for a good lawyer you'll pay around 12-15k, throw in the fee's, fines, ect...looking at around 25k ish in a major city.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-15-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
Around here it is not the same. It does not affect your drivers licence. The best thing to do is to refuse the test and take your chances in court.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-15-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Absolutely....I agree with Paul, always refuse the test. In fact, George Stein "The DUI Lawyer" here in GA has a handout to give the officer. Google him and read the handout, its kinda funny.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-15-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Every state is different. But most are starting to tie everything together, even a pilots license.
It's just not worth it for me,I just don't do it!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
"The best thing to do is to refuse the test and take your chances in court."

If you go this route, I did, stay away from trial by Jury...jury's have been known to convict sighting a sober person would take the tests.

IMO, if you get a BWI, DWI you better have a lawyer who's got some serious pull in the county the alleged offense took plae in.

The prosecutor in my case didnt' knwo why they arrested me based on field sobriety tests ( ones I did take), and video tape, but later came back and told my attorney she could nto take anythign less than a convition b/c of who the wrresting officier was, she even offered to have me take the conviction and haev no fines/proabtion/fees, ect.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-15-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
www.georgestein.com

Look on the right for the Drivers Rights Card. Its actually very informational.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-15-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
I don't know about private pilots licences, but my sister is a commercial pilot and if she gets a dui,or anyother related offence, the FHA pulls her licence. Its been like that for years.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-15-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Sam, are you drunk typing that?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-15-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Actually, the best thing you can do, is not get drunk so you don't have to worry about it.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
hahaha
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-15-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
LOL...I was thinking the same thing Paul!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
agree paul, but here in washington, you don't have to be "drunk" to get a bui. the limit is the same as a car which is .08

that's not much. a couple drinks, depending on how fast you drink them and what you've had/having to eat.

agree though, it's not something to mess with.

also here in washington, if you're anchored, drink away. but as soon as you pull anchor, you better be under .08.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-15-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
i had a roommate in college that got a bui from riding a bike drunk..haha, i thought that was pretty funny
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-15-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
I got pulled over a couple years ago on Lake Washington. Luckily I had just opened my first beer. They made me jump in their cop boat and take a Breathalyzer. They didn't even tell me what I blew they just looked real disappointed. They did tell me that it is ok to be drinking and even the driver can be physically drinking but they can give you a BUI if you are over .08. They also said that they could give you a BUI if you blow less than .08 if they feel your driving of the boat is affected.
Old     (glasgow)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-15-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Here in NC it's not that bad on the lake. A friend of mine got one last year and all he had to do was pay a lawyer $500,a $100 fine, and court cost which was $100, no loss of driving Privilages or affects to his licence. You can loose you boat driving privilage on that lake depending on what you blow and if you try to go to court without a lawyer like another dude on the lake, that I didn't know, but I heard the story he tried, and he can't drive on the lake for 18 months.
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Received one a couple of years ago in KY. Didn't know the laws and got a lawyer. Turns out the offense is not that big of a deal. Lawyer scared me into paying him $1,500. Could have gone in and pleaded guilty to a $100 fine and $100 court cost. Worst part was having to spend the night in jail in hillbilly country. Not plesant but entertaining.

No wonder Lawyers get such a bad reputation.
Old     (jim33)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Michael, who was your friend??
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-15-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Everyone should keep in mind that the laws are forever changing, and just because some of you may have gotten one a couple years ago and it wasn't a big deal, it might be now, in your state.
Old     (chadbp)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-15-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Like everyone says it varies state to state. A buddy of mine got one in california, Ranger Rick was fairly cool, stated right off the bat that if he was found to be over the legal limit the citation or what not would not have any affect on driving privelages. But he does have the power to do so, also if you have any priors, the DA or judge can seek an enhancement that could affect your DMV. I think it varies state to state and officer to officer. The Sheriff that pulled me over once also made it very aware that you can be charged for BUI while wakeboarding, tubing, skiing, etc. Half the people on my boat were smashed when I got pulled over and me and one other buddy were sober, passed his test and went about my day.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
Here in Texas it is the same as a DUI, and affects your driving priviledges.

BUI's are total BS: All this is is a revenue generator for whatever jurisdiction pulls you over. 9 times out of 10 a BUI being issued has nothing to do with how safely someone can operate a boat. Sometimes I'm drunk on the boat, and sometimes I'm not, but I can honestly tell you that every close call I've had has happened when I was completely sober. Officers need to not abuse their power, read between the lines (color of the law), and use sound judgement. If an officer pulls someone over for a safety check; it should be just for that. Pulling someone over for a safety check, and then doing a field sobreity check is completely uncalled for.. Now if an officer pulls someone over for acting stupid or for no wake, then I'm all for a sobreity check. Blowing a .08 is practically like blowing nothing. I gaurantee I can blow a 1.0 and still safely drive a boat or car.

Here in Texas we have beer barns (drive up beer stores) that will sell you beer on tap, hand it to you in your car, and let you drive off. Yet as soon as you hit the street it is illegal for you to have that 1 beer.. Our laws are really screwed up. Moms Against Drunk Driving has way to much political power. A group needs to come in and take some of that power back; maybe something like Boaters FOR Drunk Driving. It may sound politically incorrect, but the drinking laws on lakes need to be relaxed some.

Our lakes normally have the Sheriffs Department, Game Warden, and local Police on the lake every weekend; what a complete waste of tax payers money. Maybe they need to write the BUI's to pay for all this patrol..

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-16-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
I wouldn't go so far as to say BUIs are BS, but I hear what you are saying. I bet a lot of rangers use them as a power tool. I have seen some people on the water that I wish would not be there, but having a couple of beers on the lake by no means makes you a risk to mankind, nor should it make you eligible for loosing your drivers licence.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-16-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
You've got to be kidding me? Ive heard some stupid crap before but if your operating a boat/pwc and are intoxicated not only are you a total tool and hazard to others but you deserve AT LEAST A TICKET!!!!! Saying they abuse there power by giving sobriety checks? Im glad they do this as mabye it will save someones life or at the very least make people think twice about drinking and driving ther boats. I take my responsability for others in my boat very seriously and would never put there saftey of in jepordy by drinking too much.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-16-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
"Sometimes I'm drunk on the boat, and sometimes I'm not"

"Officers need to not abuse their power, read between the lines (color of the law), and use sound judgement"

Let me get this straight....your driving drunk, but it's the police using bad judgement?????

I'm glad Ken is in TX and I'm in not.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
I think Ken was referring to being drunk as over the .08 limit, which it technically is, but .08 IMO for a person that drinks more than a few beers a month is not "drunk" IMO. Maybe it's a Texas thing?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-16-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
.08 is a joke plain and simple. Having said that, I don't drink in my boat as I can't chance anything.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-16-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
I agree somewhat with Ken's post - the part in his avatar that says that he wrote it on Friday May 16th. The rest of it is terrible - if you drive drunk, you're a hazard to others.

quote: I can honestly tell you that every close call I've had has happened when I was completely sober

That's unequivocal then, operating a boat whilst drunk is safe.

Those close calls may have been close calls because drink wasn't a factor. If drink had been a factor, who's to say that they may have turned into accidents.

Unfortunately there are too many people that look for ways to do it and not get caught, rather than not do it in the first place. These police are doing it for our sakes, not their's.

How hard is it to nominate a driver?

(Message edited by gobigorgohome on May 16, 2008)
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
in the bahamas, you can still get shot for boarding a vessel without permission.. just refuse to let the sheriff come aboard your vessel until you sober up..
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-16-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
For some reason I get pulled over all the time for some random excuse and last week i was given a sobriety test at the dock. I stay sober but cannot say that my boat is by any means sober...pics are from our weekly Sunday Funday at the lake.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
at least you will always have ballast in the bow.. nice work friend, nice work!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-16-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
You suck.

and yes. That was said out of jealousy.

(Message edited by psudy on May 16, 2008)
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
Sorry, I should have wrote the part "Sometimes I'm drunk on the boat, and sometimes I'm not".. To read that according to the law I'm drunk, but I'm really not... I did not mean stupid drunk.

I get pulled over all the time, and I have never been given a BUI. All I was trying to say is that .08 as the legal limit is just plain stupid. It is just total BS to say that a normal person cannot safely drive a boat after having 2 beers... Just total crap... I've seen friends given a ticket after drinking two beers, and they did not even blow over .08; the officers just say "I can't legally not cite you after seeing you drink and drive"
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-18-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Paul-- My goal for this weekend to not to get pulled over on the way in or get a sobriety field test.

I do admit I absolutely enjoy CA and all the wealth of beautiful women. Our goal today is to take 500+ pics...this is the only way my friends remember most of the day
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-18-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Mox, if you EVER need a third....just let me know.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-19-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
We will expect to see those pics
Old    nwwakerider            05-19-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Sam- 12-15k for a lawyer? That is about about 10k too much for what it would cost to get a layer for a DUI.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-20-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I have a buddy who did about a year ago, he ran aground on an island at night w/ a boat full of peeps, threw two in the bow out of the boat. None of them got injured, but a TWRA officer was already assisting a fisherman who had ran aground about two hundred yards off the starboard bow. He's still dealing with it today. No thank you!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-20-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I think in most states if you get into an accident while intoxicated, it makes it much worse.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-20-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Is that a makeshift stripper pole in the boat MOX?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-20-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Erik, I'm talking about good, big time lawyers who will get you off DUI's, BUI's, BWI, DWI's. Your right you can find lawyers for $2k-5k, but your rollin the dice.

When OJ murdered his wife you think he looked in the yellow pages for the buget murder attorney?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
sam is right...

Upload
Old    nwwakerider            05-20-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
A murder is alittle different than a DUI, plus OJ was guilty and you cant get that off your record unless your found innocent.
If your spending 10k+ on a lawyer you obviously did more than just get a DUI. It would have to be about your 4th and possibly Vehicular Homicide also.
My good friend got her DUI lowered to Negligent Driving and once all the fines were paid along with the lawyer she only paid 6k. She was 18 and blew a .10
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-20-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
I recently heard of a story of a girl on a tube who got backed over. How do things like this happen? I would venture to guess roughly a hundred lives are lost at lake pleasant, az state park annually. I am all for more law enforcement and more BUI. If you can't have fun without booze maybe you need to spend more time with yourself than out on the water getting drunk. Don't get me wrong I am not all sXe (straight edge), I drink with the best of em. Do you need to drink to have fun? Maybe look into some "what makes a person an alcoholic" survey... If alcohol is a dependency to have fun that's still a dependency; therefore dependent on alcohol. I am on the water because it's a good time. I am at the bar because it's a good time. I don't want to mix the two. I am honestly surprised I am the first to make a post this blatant being as how I am in the majority. If I was not it would not be the law.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-20-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Jason,
That stripper pole is real stripper pole. My buddy makes them for a living and even has a patent on his design. I am an engineer and also took some clases on engineering patent law in college and it is a detailed legitimate patent. It is a two piece pole that can be removed in a two seconds literally. Send me a PM if you are interested in purchasing one or want more info/pics
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
"I am honestly surprised I am the first to make a post this blatant being as how I am in the majority. If I was not it would not be the law."

Your an idiot Scott. The reason it is law, and the reason the levels keep getting dropped is because groups like MADD have political power. No one wants to tell a sobbing mom to shut up and go away. B/C if they did... then that group would go after them. Then that political individual would be done. Not b/c they necessarily have a good point, but b/c we have a problem with telling people no in America. Especially sobbing moms.

In fact I would go so far as to say that the majority WOULD DISAGREE WITH YOU. Just look here at the majority of posts here. Also, why do you think prohibition didn't work? But it's politically incorrect to say so, so you won't see many people saying so.

And yes I've had 5 friends pass on from drunk driving incidents. 3 were together and were out partying, and crashed after our college graduation... I was behind them and witnessed it. 2 were hit by drunk drivers. So don't try the, you don't know what it's like card.

***added***

The main problem that many here have, including me, is not the fact that there is a BUI/DUI law itself. But the fact that it is a generalized law that punishes some severly, b/c others have a low tolerance. The reduction from .10 to .08 has caused all sorts of heck for some people that do a good job of limiting themselves to 1 or 2 beers and then drive. Then they get a DUI b/c of it, even if they aren't drunk. There needs to be another system of measurement... unfortunately there's no way to account for everybody's reaction to alcohol. I know for a fact Madd is currently pushing for a .05 BAC in washington, and if that happens I think you'll finally see a backlash.

(Message edited by Tanner on May 20, 2008)
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Mox,

I miss the Sunday fundays at Millerton. I partied with a alot of those same girls then.

My buddy ( We'll call him Los) got a BUI pulling my boat out of the water because the trailer lights were out. All that after towing a guy in a jet boat 2.5 hours from the back of Millerton. Hows that for Karma?

His lawyer got it reduced to a wet and reckless. Los hadn't drank in 2.5 hours becaused he was passed out on my boat. Oh yeah, we had a Keg on the boat that day. Los is now a Federal Officer, so it pays to get a good lawyer. Still cost him close to 12K with fees, classes and lawyer fees.
But now he deports criminals for a living.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
"but my sister is a commercial pilot and if she gets a dui,or anyother related offence, the FHA pulls her licence."

Who's the FHA? The Future Homemakers of America?
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-20-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Quote: I would venture to guess roughly a hundred lives are lost at lake pleasant, az state park annually.

That sounded a bit over to me, so I did a search and came up with this:

Windy and choppy lake conditions, summer heat and alcohol add to the risk, resulting in numerous water-related accidents and an average of 10 deaths every year.

From here:

http://cronkitezine.asu.edu/fall2003/pleasant.html

Still - it's 10 too many.
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-20-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
Tanner, nice call out. Scott's post hit too close to home?

"No one wants to tell a sobbing mom to shut up and go away."

Ever consider that there wouldn't be that sobbing mom if someone hadn't drank too much and then climbed behind the wheel? If you are actually condoning drinking and driving or drinking and driving a boat, then I don't think it's Scott who is an idiot. Grow up.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Close to home?... not sure what you mean there.

But I have no problems w/ there being drunk driving laws what so ever. As there should be and drivers that are drunk need to be off the road. I quit doing the bar scene about 7 years ago right after college. And it's just as easy to stay at a buddy's house if we're drinking so I really don't have to worry about DUI's.

However that being said...I do have a problem w/ the .08 laws and especially the .05 law they are trying to push. I have no problem with someone have 1, 2... heck, even 3 beers at dinner if they choose. I just know way to many people that have blown .08 and were totally sober yet still got charged w/ a DUI... many of whom it ruined their lives. I have a few friends that are cops and we've played with their field breathalyzer. It's amazing how sober you are at .10 even. But at least .1 is not 1-2 beers.

If you think .08 is not 1-2 beers... think again. Once again... that's my gripe... NOT the fact that there are DUI/BUI laws.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-20-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
I really don't know what the arguement is here... drinking and driving and driving and boat is the same thing....

You are operating a moving vehicle/vessel in which you can kill youself and others.

Law dicates .08 blood level... if you've had too much find a "DD" and get them to drive.

Toronto has one of the largest entertainment districts in North America.. if not the largest concentration of bars/night clubs in one area. Every friday and saturday night over 20,000+ people get their drink on...

Drunk driving charges are at an all time low. High enforcement and stiff penalties have helped. People actually get to see the sunrise!

Many can claim to drive "fine" with a few drinks.... 9/10 times they make it home safe... the one time when "s_h_y_t happens" your judgement is impared and things can spirl downhill very fast.

Cars have seat belts, air bags, ESP, crumple zones, ABS..... What was the last boat that had ANY of these to help you in a collision?

Just my 2 cents....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-21-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
""but my sister is a commercial pilot and if she gets a dui,or anyother related offence, the FHA pulls her licence."

Who's the FHA? The Future Homemakers of America?"

That was supposed to be FAA(I guess I had work on my mind). Maybe if you could see past your snide comment, you could have figured it out.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-21-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Also, this thread is about BUIs, not DUIs. I think the line is getting blurred.
IMO, BUIs should not hold the same penalty as DUI, and in most states they don't.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
LOL I love this...

<quote>

"Your an idiot Scott."

I stopped reading your post @ Scott. Very mature you sir know how to coerce people to see your side of things. Basically friend we are of polar opposites and I respect your opinion, wishing that basic respect was mutual. My personal opinion is that there should be a zero tolerance to people who boat while drinking. A 5k lbs machine with 2x blown big blocks propelled by spiraling sharpened stainless blades can really mess a person up. Especially @ 80+mph on a crowded lake. I understand the zero tolerance thing is silly to think would happen, just like how you should feel that BAC higher than .08 is tolerable. It's called negotiation. There needs to be a common ground on what exactly drunk is.. Next define penalties.
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
<quote> Sorry, I should have wrote the part "Sometimes I'm drunk on the boat, and sometimes I'm not".. To read that according to the law I'm drunk, but I'm really not... I did not mean stupid drunk.

I get pulled over all the time, and I have never been given a BUI. All I was trying to say is that .08 as the legal limit is just plain stupid. It is just total BS to say that a normal person cannot safely drive a boat after having 2 beers... Just total crap... I've seen friends given a ticket after drinking two beers, and they did not even blow over .08; the officers just say "I can't legally not cite you after seeing you drink and drive" <quote>

If you wanna have a couple of beers while boating, go for it. You're still one cool dude in my book
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-21-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Intresting thread:

I think its hypocritical and messed up that people can and do opperate a PWC's and boat's "Un Safley" all while completley sober putting people lives at risk and nobody does to much about these people. Even if they are caught by the water patrol the ticket or citation they recieve is a small slap on the wrist. On the other hand you have a guy that pound's 2 beers and is and ideling along at 5mph and gets a pulled over and gets a free saftey inspection and blow's .08 Boom he is in cuffs and off to jail.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-21-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
B. Eriksen

A cool dude would drink after boating and talk about the great day he/she and the crew had boating!
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
Robert

Cool is not determined by the amount of beer consumed.
Uncool is pissing on grown men for having a couple of frosties..
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-21-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
How said anything about the amount of beer consumed. After boating sit on the lawn or the dock have a few with your friends and have a great laugh about the day. The most important part is every one had a fun and safe day. It's that easy! that what makes you cool dude or dudet!
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
HAHA G too true man very insightful. I am almost to the point that if there were if a class to get a boat operator's permit I wouldn't strongly oppose anymore. I would think the hassle would be worth it to keep the Wallys at bay. Pun intended.
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-22-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
If i want a beer while i'm out on my boat i'll have a beer on my freakin boat..

That being said, i am totally against boating while drunk. Luckily i'm a big s.o.b. and do not get drunk from a beer or two.

Cheers. EOD
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
""BUI's are total BS:"" k

"Moms Against Drunk Driving has way to much political power. A group needs to come in and take some of that power back; maybe something like Boaters FOR Drunk Driving."

TO FUNNY!!!

Upload

(Message edited by kirk on May 23, 2008)
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Kirk..

LOL

If you are going to quote me, quote the entire verbage that conveys the context of what I said.

Thanks,

Ken

(Message edited by bulletlines on May 23, 2008)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
ken,

I usually am a pretty nice guy on the internet and try to not turn people off to the idea of meeting me in person or get the wrong idea of how I am in real life.

This thread really bothers me for some reason. As an outcome from this post:

I will never buy or support bullet line's products as an active wakeboarder, boat owner, and member of the wakeboard community. I personally don't support it's employees active open opinions on drunk driving and unsafe boat operation, and practices.

done with this reatrded thread,

Scott Legge

p.s.
good luck on your business endeavors.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
Ken,
Sorry. Hope this is better.

"Here in Texas it is the same as a DUI, and affects your driving priviledges.

BUI's are total BS: All this is is a revenue generator for whatever jurisdiction pulls you over. 9 times out of 10 a BUI being issued has nothing to do with how safely someone can operate a boat. Sometimes I'm drunk on the boat, and sometimes I'm not, but I can honestly tell you that every close call I've had has happened when I was completely sober. Officers need to not abuse their power, read between the lines (color of the law), and use sound judgement. If an officer pulls someone over for a safety check; it should be just for that. Pulling someone over for a safety check, and then doing a field sobreity check is completely uncalled for.. Now if an officer pulls someone over for acting stupid or for no wake, then I'm all for a sobreity check. Blowing a .08 is practically like blowing nothing. I gaurantee I can blow a 1.0 and still safely drive a boat or car.

Here in Texas we have beer barns (drive up beer stores) that will sell you beer on tap, hand it to you in your car, and let you drive off. Yet as soon as you hit the street it is illegal for you to have that 1 beer.. Our laws are really screwed up. Moms Against Drunk Driving has way to much political power. A group needs to come in and take some of that power back; maybe something like Boaters FOR Drunk Driving. It may sound politically incorrect, but the drinking laws on lakes need to be relaxed some.

Our lakes normally have the Sheriffs Department, Game Warden, and local Police on the lake every weekend; what a complete waste of tax payers money. Maybe they need to write the BUI's to pay for all this patrol"

Upload
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
Scott...

I never said anything about not supporting safe boat driving, nor did I express how (real) drunk driving on the lake is OK... What I have said here is that the blood alchohol limits are unreasonable at .08... If it is justified, I'm all for BUI's. Unfortunately, most of the time that BUI's are given it is not for unsafe boat driving... I've seen a lot of real shady BUI's issued by officers in the past.

If someone is (really) drunk, acting stupid, endangering other people, or not paying attention to no wake zones, then I'm all for that person getting a BUI or ticket of some kind.

What I hate to see (and I have seen this before), is the guy or woman that goes out, has a couple beers thru out the day, drives to pull the boat out safely, officers are waiting on the docks to give field sobriety tests, blow a .08 - 1.0, and this person is given a BUI. This just seems very unfair.

I'm sure there are a lot of poeple here that do not share my opinion, but I'm sure there are plenty here that understand and agree with what I have said...

AGAIN, THIS IS MY OPINION, AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BULLET LINES...

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-25-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
There is no difference. The law is the law, whether you agree with it or not. You're either drunk or you're not. You get a ticket whether you're speeding or "really" speeding. If you want to avoid the "shady" BUI's that you claim have been issued, it's really simple. Wait until you are off the water to drink, or have someone else drive.

I agree with Scott. You really screwed up promoting your views with the tag "bulletlines" attached to your name. You represent them, so everything you say will directly be associated with them. Good luck.
Old     (mobiusxlv)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-25-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Interesting to read thoughts and opinions from the vast majority of people who have no idea what they're talking about. For those of you who say "I can drive perfectly well at .08" you are 100% wrong. Having spent 27 years in law enforcement and seeing the death and destruction that people with blood alcohol levels of .08 (or less) can do, I can attest to the fact that driving a boat or car impaired is irresponsible and criminal - period. Your ability to drive and reaction time is significantly worse with alcohol in your system. Please don't endanger the lives of others because you feel the need to party while driving - leave it to a DD or save the drinking for when you hit land. And don't blame your law enforcement personnel - don't drink and drive and you won't have an issue.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-25-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
This thread has turned lame. Leave Your Opinions Out.
How about returning it to..."Anyone ever gotten a BUI?
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-25-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
If you all sanctemonius holier-than-thou partypoopers wanna boicot Kens company cause he likes to have a beer on his boat the go right ahead.. your loss.
Makes me wonder tho.. are you concequently doing this to all companies regardless? If so, there can't be much left for you people to buy..

I for one have nothing but respect for Mr.Land and will surely continue to do business with him simply because his service level is outstanding.

DILLIGAF...
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Taft... I did not end it with my signature line, so lets just not go there... Bullet Lines promotes nothing boat boater safety...

If you break the law, you are part of the criminal element right? Hate to break it to you, but the law is screwed up sometimes... I'll give you a real world example: here in Texas for about 5 years (until last september 07) it was illegal for someone to have any license plate bracket on their vehicle... People would get pulled over for obstructed license plates, and would be given a ticket (I was one of them)... Now the law was written to pull over Mexican nationals who were towing wholesale cars into Mexico with completely unreadeable license plates... However, word of the law officers were using it for the wrong purposes because some retard senator passed a law with bad wording. We have bad laws...

Mable:

I'm sure there are a few that cannot drive with a .08, but most men can. So why do we punish everyone for the minority who can't drive with a .08 .

I saw lots of bikinis in the party cove while I was pulling in today, and while I was leaving (I did not drink at all). I found myself distracted, and my judgement was a little off because I was not looking straight ahead where I was going... The bikinis, boobs, butts, and clams impaired my safe driving capabilities slightly... Maybe we should outlaw bikinis and fake boobs on the lakes, or women all together? Zero tolerence right?

I'll respect the thread... Sorry for getting a little off topic... I did not mean to be part of the cause for this hijack..

Ken

(Message edited by bulletlines on May 25, 2008)

(Message edited by bulletlines on May 25, 2008)
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-25-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Ken, I'm willing to call truce if you are. I didn't make the laws, and I can agree with you that not all of them make sense. I will stand firm on my views on drinking while operating a boat or car; it's just one of those things that I don't condone. To each his own, but I don't and won't ever have compassion for someone who gets a ticket or jailed while doing it. I'm sure you are a stand up guy and sorry if I attacked you...if you are ever around Houston hit me up and we can ride the San Bernard. I'll drive

BTW...you must have been describing Devil's Cove....
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
If you can get a DUI on a bicycle can you get a BUI in a row boat? I heard of a guy getting done for drunk driving, on a skateboard. They took his licence away for 6 months... obviously this guy got reamed, he was apparently riding down the street. If he'd have been on the footpath I'm sure he would have been done for something else.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
Taft,

Truths... I was on Canyon Lake today because I thought Lake Travis would be a little too crazy this weekend...

I will for sure hit you up next time I'm in Houston... If you are ever my way (like around New Braunfels), hit me up and we will get some butter on Lake Dunlap... BTW... I do not drink and pull riders, nor do I drink and ride, so no worries with my boat driving capabilities when riding... I learned my lessons (yes, many lessons) many years ago about drinking and riding...

We are planning to take over a section of beach in Galveston in a few weekends for a beach winch session. Let me know if you want to meet us... Checkout my new baller winch I'll be breaking in:

Upload
Upload

Ken