Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (syeaman)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Look at buying a new Calabria Pro v. Any thoughts out there? Looking for for pros and cons!
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-10-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Sean, I own an 2005 Pro V so I'll try to be subjective in my assessment.

Pros:
- Largest width in the wakeboarding class! I love it because my son (14 months) can play in the floorboard.
- No bags to fill for ballast
- HUGE storage compartments
- Won't see 10 of them on the same lake with you or pass many down the road. I like this fact because everyone wants to take a look/see at it.
- Great family boat

Cons:
- If you want a surfing wake you'll need to fill sacks and put them in the back locker. Easy because they have put lighter plugs in each compartment but you still have to manually do this.
- The boat is HUGE and you'll need a big storage/garage if you choose to store it indoors. I have a 10X10 door and with the tower up it clears by about an inch and width has about 3-4 inches on each side! Beam is 102 inches.
- DHM trailer that it comes with is less than great! Mine had a bend axle after about 3000 miles. Could be a bad apple but nonetheless...

These are facts that come to mind while typing.

Mike Brendella owns Calabria as well as a racing shop, Ski Brendella, and MB Sports so although the boat hasn't been around for years the owner/designers have. I have had zero problems with the boat and it currently has 64 hours on it. For the $$$ my opinion is you can NOT beat the boat.

I will be selling mine at the end of this year because I buy mine from a promo that got a color scheme that I like better. If you click my name you'll see a pic of it. I'm changing to the black hull with yellow on top (actually the same boat that you see on their website that waterski mag did their review of). My current boat was in their mag for 2005. Again, I'm only selling mine because I like the color scheme of the black hull. I might change my mind once I get it in Oklahoma's hard water and see the spots but we'll see!!! If you're close to oklahoma I'd be happy to take you to the lake and let you test it, ride behind it, or whatever...
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Mike Brendel does not own Calabria. He does own MB sport. Bob Jessen and a silent partner own Calabria.

We have over 450 hours on our Pro-V and still love it.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-10-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Pros-
Roomy, lots of storage
Best ballast system
great fit and finish
one off custom boat
little to no problems overall
best wake in factory trim
NO problems with my DHM trailer

Cons-
Bit of a pig when loaded heavy 1500# additional ballast. But what boat isn't.
This is where most complain about the boat. The boat does the best in stock trim. When adding additional ballast, reprop to a 13x16 and she is all good.

Unbeatable for the money.
Old    daltonigga            07-10-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
ya that is true about not seeing much and everyone wants to see/loook cause when i saw a calabria for the first time i havent seen another . and when ever i see it i always want to look at it on the water, but its lame cause its an old man that drives it and he doesnt do it besides drive it around.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
LOL I love how people think that know what they are talking about
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-11-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Hey C...guess you might do some checking! Mike Brendel owned Brendella along with Bob. Their investment backer bought out Mike and kept the Brendella name because the investment group didn't like the direction Mike was taking the company. So Mike was bought out. Then, he sued them for using the name and won; thus, the name Calabria..... Without boring many people with facts that aren't worth mentioning the underlining statment that Calabria isn't a new boating line but an predecessor to Brendella and MB Sports. Got any other comments you'd like to make please do so in a PM directly to myself and I'll happy to keep you LOL ;0)
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-11-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
I love my Pro-V!

The boat is a floating living room. It does not handle like a sportscar, more like an SUV. The lockers are huge and it has more storage space than almost any other wakeboat out there. The wake is OK (other boats have a better stock wake) but if you give it a little added weight, it will please 98% of the riders out there. If you like to entertain a lot of people on your boat, it is the best boat around for your dollar IMO.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Mike wanted to leave because Bob is not the greatest guy. Where was Mike at before there? DO you know who else was with him at that place? I bet u know so Yes I know a lot so think before speak
Old     (syeaman)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses. I have heard it has some steering or tracking problems over 30mph any truth?