Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-08-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
I was in town over the past weekend and the place rips. We spent four days riding and though cable is way different from boat I had the opportunity to try some new things.

Prior to the trip I could really only go W2W behind the boat with no real tricks besides some grabs. Couldn't ride switch at all so 180's were out. After my weekend: totally comfy with switch, kickers and rails are all good, and I am well on my way to the 180's. Not to shabby for a 32 year old who started last year if I do say so myself! The staff was really cool and totally patient with Newbies. Zack and Brian were great. Bill at the performace ski was awesome too.

As a final side note, their Demo to own program is fantastic. I built up a healthy shop credit from four days of riding a Premier and Parks and was able to walk away with a new pair of LF Transit bindings. Too cool. I highly recommend to everyone.

Eric
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-08-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
Eric - how was the water temp? I'll be down there on Wednesday and am curious how warm it is.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
The gulf is a cozy 70 degrees right now, so I'd say the OWC water has to be at least that. Although we have a cold front coming through right now that is lowering air temps into the low 70s - so the water may be effected by this since it's a small shallow body.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-08-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
A lot of the locals had wetsuits or rashgaurds on, and I thought it was slightly chilly. So with 88 degree temps it felt pretty good. Considering the ice just melted off my lake last week, I considered it really good!

David is correct though...evenings pretty chilly. Had to wear jeans to Hooters for my wings fix.

Eric
Old    dukeboy            03-08-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
Eric-

I'm stoked to hear you had a good time and walked away with some confidence on the wakeboard!

How were the camp prices for cable pulls, lessons and so on? Did you get a package deal or did you pay for individual days?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-08-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Paid for individual days actually, and no lessons. Just picked up pointers from the cable operators. Lessons weren't bad. I want to say $50/hour for cable. The boat was much more premium. The had an all day, much as you want to ride boat included for like $300, which is comparable to The Boarding School. However, I have no idea about the skills of the instructors.

In my mind $37 bones for an all day ride pass (plus they include a free subscription to Wakeboard Mag) is a bargain. Plus $50 for board and helmet rental, but $40 of that was a credit on board or bindings. I'd say call and get the scoop.

Eric