Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-16-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
I was wondering if I can run two set of speakers (4 in total) in parallel directly to the front inputs on my head unit? This would mean the speakers would be at 2 ohms. Can a head unit handle that? Thanks for any help!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-16-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
It might but not that well.

A head unit doesn't have the current capabilities of a dedicated amp.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-16-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
HU cannot handle that. It will shut off ( protection mode) if you get past 50% volume usually.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
back in the day when I was a teenager before I had satus and before I had a pager I used to run them in series to my HU in my car.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
No it won't handle it you deck will crap out in no time. The only way you could get away with it is if you never turned it up loud, and we all know that won't happen in a boat.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       10-16-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
Again - This won't work.

You could run them in series but whilst you'll gain speakers you won't necessarily gain any volume as each speaker will put out less. It'd be pointless but possible.

You're going to need a micro amp like Fusion offers or a cheap amp to achieve what you're aiming for.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-16-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Why are you wanting to do this, Are the speakers already on the rear chnls of the head unit? Where in the boat are/will all these speakers be located?
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-16-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
The reason I was looking to do this is because I originally had my four interior speakers hooked up in parallel to a 2-channel amp and then a sub hooked up to a mono amp. I just recently added tower speakers and had to run the 4 tower speakers in parallel to the 2-channel amp that the interior speakers were originally ran to. Now the interior speakers are not hooked up at all. I want to run the interior speakers to the front channel directly to the head unit and the 2-channel amp (tower speakers) to the rear channel so I can fade in and out between them. I don't want to add another amp.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-16-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
Swap the 2chnl for a 4chnl, this would be an easy (and not too expensive) way to solve your dilemma. Sell the 2chnl to off set the cost of the 4chnl.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-16-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
One of two things will happen depending on you HU. Best case the HU will start clipping or as Adam said will go into protection. The other thing that might happen is you will smoke it. Run all four Interior speakers off the four channels of the head unit (i.e. one speaker per channel) then use a PAC1 to remotely control the gain on the amp. This will allow you to control the tower separate from interior. PAC1 will cost you $20 and then the cost of a 1m pair of RCA’s.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-17-2008, 5:28 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Although a POT would allow you to control the volume level of the tower speakers, ultimately both are controlled by the head unit volume. In the above config, he could have: (1) both cabin and Tower playing, (2) cabin playing, but not tower alone.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
Just run your interior speakers in series and call it good , until you can upgrade to another 2 channel amp or swap for a 4 channel.