Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-13-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
We have received an offer on our boat. The potential buyer is not local, and is willing to buy without a test drive, but on a guaranty that the boat is in the condition as we state. I am not concerned about the condition, but was wondering if this is a typical way to buy a boat, or is this some kind of scam? Is there someway this could come back and bite us in the rear?

This was my first boat, and obviously the first time I've sold a boat.

Thanks guys!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-13-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
site unseen is a little weird. i would say fine, but if you tow it home, its your. As is, no warranty, guarantee, or other BS.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
Once money has changed hands it will be final and implied "as is" in most states to my knowledge. Don't let them take it and not pay you in full before leaving. Too much can happen....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
So it sounds like he's going to pay you in full for the boat up fron then make a fianl decision on the boat when he see's it right? That sounds fair to me your not out anything as long as you have the funds and if he doesn't like it when he see's it your only out a little time. It'd probably be best to just take a healthy chunk for earnest money that could be refunded when he makes a final decision.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
sounds weird to me

i had all kinds of scammers contact me and i was just selling an i/o

all i can say is be VERY careful especially when it comes to closing the deal. not sure if you hold title or not, but in some ways it's easiest if you don't. some cashier's checks and bank checks can be cancelled up to 60 days post sale and many lending institutions leave you holding the bag. bank to bank is usually safest where in the buyer is getting a loan to fund the purchase. in that case, you're really out of the loop and the burden is on the buyer. all paperwork is done between the banks.

be leary of wire transfers as well. wire transfers require your bank information to process. may as well hand them your checkbook.

it's sad really
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
absolutely offer the test drive if your comfortable with it's condition but i second diggs, bill of sale should specifically state "as is, no warranty implied or expressed and all sales are final" that should make things very clear to your buyer and also aid in negating any enforcement of "lemon laws" if your buyer tries to rescind..
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I sold 2 boats site unseen! The second they asked for an "AS IS" letter. I included below.

I also provided pictures via email of everthing I could find to disclosed the condition of the boat.

The first boat I got half up front and half upon delivery to agreed location. The second boat I got half wire transfered plus delivery cost and the other half upon delivery by third party. I little risky, but the buyer was a CEO of a know company.

Just be carefull!!!

--------------

“AS IS” condition of 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV

In addition to the standard features included with a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV the following options are included.

• 8100, 450hp, EFI-MPI
• Depth finder
• Flush kit
• Water cooled shaft seal
• Dual battery switch
• Illusion X tower
• Bimini top
• 2 Board racks
• Fiberglass swim platform
• Power wedge
• Tower mirror
• Docking lights
• Heater / Shower
• Remote oil filter
• Ranking tow cover
• Stereo w/remote, mp3 inputs, 2 amps, sub, 6 cabin and 4 tower speakers (w/covers)
• Trailer w/spare

The overall condition of this boat is excellent! The exterior of the boat may have a few minor surface scratches caused my normal usage (Usually buffed out if noticed). The interior of the boat has no tears. There may be a few minor discolorations on the interior caused by color transfer from a wakeboard or swimming suit, also caused by normal usage.

To the best of my knowledge this boat is in the above stated condition.

Seller:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Date

Buyer:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Date
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
we sold our last boat to a guy who only saw pics... drove 13 or so hrs, we ran it for a while and he left with it
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-13-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
I sold my last boat to a guy from canada. He wired the funds the day he showed up and had only seen pictures. All he heard was the engine turn over and was on his way. No test drive no nothing. It was an as is sale no trouble at all.
Old     (blondesrule)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-13-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Sent you a PM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Lemon laws only apply to new vehicle/vessels but getting a signed as is would be a good idea. Even if it is implied it could save money down the road with lawyers fee's.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
I sold my last boat sight unseen to a guy out of state. I would not offer a gaurantee as your buyer is wanting, but I did offer to take the boat to a local dealer for an inspection at the buyer's cost. In my case the buyer opted not to do that and bought the boat anyway.

If I were you I would offer to let a third party (i.e.- dealer) inpsect the boat for the buyer at the buyer's cost. Kind of the like how a home buyer pays a home inpsector to inspect a house before closing.

(Message edited by nauty on May 14, 2008)
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-14-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
We have bought a boat sight unseen before mailed the check to the guy and then sent one of our truck drivers down in the Yukon to pick it up we never saw it until it was in our driveway
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
I second the dealer inspection at their cost. I have done this and will do it for sure if I ever buy a used boat again or sell one.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-14-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Tell him no and suggest that he have it inspected/surveyed by someone you both agree upon. If the boat fails and he backs out, you pay, if the boat passes, he pays, regardless of whether or not he goes through with the buy.
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-14-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
a buddy and i imported a boat from california to canada in december. I had the owner send me several pics of the boat and talked to him on the phone several times before driving the 20+ hours to redding. I had to wire the owner a deposit and then wire the remainder of the money a couple days before we left to make sure the money was in his account. He wouldn't accept a bank draft since it could take a few days to clear since the US banks need to verify the funds from the Canadian banks and take some time. So i had basically sent the entire balance of the boat to the owner before even leaving on the trip.... a little risky...yes... but that was really the only way to ensure the money was in his hands before we left with the boat. the only other option was to carry cash which would have been a little sketchy at the border
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-14-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
you could set up an escrow account (at his expense) to hold the funds while he is awaiting inspection results? my budd y does it all the time when he sells cars on eBay to foreign buyers.. it seems to work out good? just my .02
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
thanks guys. i really appreciate it!