Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-04-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
sweet on-board footage of a scarab hitting a rouge wave. Money can buy a fast boat but common sense is priceless. http://fox2now.com/2012/09/04/raw-vi...rk-boat-crash/
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-04-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
Holy hell! The driver looked like he got knocked clean out. Awesome video!
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-04-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
That was filmed at Lake of the Ozarks last week after the shoot out. Thank You Go-Pro!!!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-04-2012, 8:58 PM Reply   
Ouch?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-04-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
They were all standing..
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-04-2012, 11:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
They were all standing..
Key word: "were". Wow that is crazy! Wish I could see that kind of wipe out with jet skiers who are too close to my riders. Oh well. I can dream right?
Old     (992envy)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-04-2012, 10:09 PM Reply   
OMG! Any more info on this accident? How fast were they going?
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-04-2012, 11:48 PM Reply   
Dude was that Scott Van Pelt driving?!!!! That was the funniest video I've seen in in a while! I played it back and watched each induvidual person completely eat crap. My favorite is the chick that almost gets decapitated by the water. What were these people thinking?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2012, 12:07 AM Reply   
I did the same thing^^^ Im surprised the driver lived. It looked like he was dead for sure.
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-05-2012, 4:26 AM Reply   
I can't tell you how many times I have played that video and every time I find something else that makes me laugh. He was probably doing hot laps through the honey hole.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-05-2012, 5:19 AM Reply   
I love how the driver works the trottle before impact.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-05-2012, 5:37 AM Reply   
how bout some still shots with commentary?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-05-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
That was a fountain 38' by the way - not a scarab. Also, the dubstep remix is much better.

Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-05-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
That was a fountain 38' by the way - not a scarab. Also, the dubstep remix is much better.

LOL at the dubstep version

In all seriousness, there were some pretty bad injuries but fortunately all passengers stayed inside the boat which likely saved some lives.

You could tell the boat was way out of shape by how aggressively the driver was whacking the throttles trying desperately to use power to bring it back in line. Like most accidents it's a combination of things that went wrong leading up to it...not just one rogue wave. In this case a few things jump out:
1. Big side wakes make the boat bounce side/side off the chines and get off balance
2. Attempting an aggressive turn while running fast through large wakes
3. Airing out the boat between swells and poor timing on the throttles (they should be pulled back when flying and applied as the boat re-enters the water)
4. Way too aggressive on the throttles. Slow & steady is the name of the game to minimize wear on the equipment and keep the boat from doing anything too crazy
5. Stepped bottom v-hulls are more prone to getting tripped up when turning, especially in rough water

MOST IMPORTANTLY - The passengers didn't look comfortable at all. It's the driver's responsibility to never exceed the comfort level of those in the boat.

Check out this video of John Tomlinson (world class throttleman) and watch how smooth he pulls back and applies power as the boat leaves and re-enters the water. There are some great shots of him working the throttles. Pretty sure that boat has twin 1500hp motors.

PS - If the lady in yellow is really 49...good for her!
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-05-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post

scarab, fountain whats the difference I would still rather wakeboard behind my boat and use half the gas
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-05-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
I believe that was last weekend. The shootout was two weeks ago.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-05-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Homeboy at the helm took planking to a whole new level.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Supposedly the driver was a racer at some point for 10 years. Sure didn't look like it in the video the way he was slamming the trottles full on to full off. Also, he may have flipped a scarab fishing boat or something like that in his past as well. The driver fractured one of his vertebrea, fractures his eye socket, etc. One of the ladies in the boat(I don't think either in the bikini's) broke 4 ribs and punctured a lung and one of the guys in the boat( I think the guy in the middle that was sitting up on the sunpad at first) broke his pelvis. Sounds like LOTO is crazy with offshore boats, huge cruisers, etc, especially labor day weekend. I will try and find the video someone posted.

I think what know one is mentioning is how great that lady in the yellow bikini looks for 49(I think that was her age). Smoking for 40's. By the way, her or her daughter(other gilr in the bikini) broke their eye socket as well.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Here is the video I was talking about. This is leaving the shootout. Not sure the date on the shootout but the video was posted before the weekend. This crash happened friday of labor day weekend I think.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac.FgwMZt69OjM
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Oh, and if you have a half a day to waste reading what other offshore power boaters feel about it here you go. One of the people in the boat is posting.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-rollover.html
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-05-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Loto is Crazy. Shoot out weekend. Notice the boat is large!
Attached Images

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-05-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
HAHA the dubstep version is awesome! I guess Powder has more money than boat driving skills... Also hilarious: the chick in the purple gets straight butt-to-the-face from the MILF in the yellow. I can't stop pressing replay...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
There are a few things that baffle me about this accident.

1) none of the people have life jackets on
2) he is running really fast(you can see the throttles buried wide open before he starts to lose it and goes nuts slamming them full on/full off)
3) from what it appears no kill switch lanierd.
4) there is more people then seats although no one is sitting except one guy in the back.

None of these things really bad by itself but when you add them all together plus what it appears to be terrible conditions it is a recipe for disaster. It is really amazing that they all got off as lucky as they did. Could of been way worse. If anybody would of been ejected they probably would of been knocked out and drowned with no life jacket.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-05-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
There are a few things that baffle me about this accident.

1) none of the people have life jackets on
2) he is running really fast(you can see the throttles buried wide open before he starts to lose it and goes nuts slamming them full on/full off)
3) from what it appears no kill switch lanierd.
4) there is more people then seats although no one is sitting except one guy in the back.

None of these things really bad by itself but when you add them all together plus what it appears to be terrible conditions it is a recipe for disaster. It is really amazing that they all got off as lucky as they did. Could of been way worse. If anybody would of been ejected they probably would of been knocked out and drowned with no life jacket.
They initially weren't going fast at all. The boat is at a stop when the video starts. Pause it and look at the wake. Also notice shirts and hair not realyl moving.

Like someone said above, working the throttle is part of driving a speed boat. They can go airborne REALLY easily and you don't want to re-enter the water with over-revved engines/props. He probably wasn't as smooth as he could have been, but that's life. He's probably not a world-class racer.

Looks to me that only 2 passengers were standing. I think I see two in the back sitting (1 guy standing in the middle of the boat). The girl in the front in the middle was standing. the girl in the port front seat was likely "sitting". Seats in that area of a speed boat can be REALLY sketchy at 80mph, so she may have been psuedo-standing to try and brace herself. Pause it at 0:17 seconds and you'll see.

It's unfortunate, but hopefully everyone in the boat knew that they were getting into a boat that is the equivalent of a race car and that they were about to be going fast. That's an obviously somewhate risky scenario.

In the end, **** happens. Pro drivers crash all of the time. Speculate all you want, but judging his driving abilities without seeing the water conditions or knowing how to drive a speed-boat is ignorant.

the worst part is that nobody was prepared. That's not uncommon to see, for what it's worth.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 09-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
They initially weren't going fast at all. The boat is at a stop when the video starts. Pause it and look at the wake. Also notice shirts and hair not realyl moving.

Watch the video again. At the beginning they are just speeding up but the video cuts to him hauling arse and the throttles buried. I am guessing he was running 70+ mph.

Bottom line is he didnt' have control of his boat and didn't have the people in the boat prepared if something did happen. He got real lucky no one got tossed.
Old    9Drozd            09-05-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
LOL at the dubstep version. I kept waiting for the part that said call 9-1-1. Would have made it better but regardless still made it laughable for a bad situation. Also I like how everyone's sun glasses stayed in the boat. At least they didn't loose those.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-05-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
i noticed that, cant edit my post anymore though. there is some editing done to the video. seems they cut out a chunk of video.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
Looks like they hit a rogue "Surfgate Wake"....
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-05-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
I count 7 in the boat. At the point where the chit hits the fan, 6 are standing and one is sitting on the sunpad. And yes, the throttle was buried when it all came undone.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-05-2012, 2:05 PM Reply   
The video made me think of this: "Reality Hits You Hard Bro"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaB5u0XyiTk
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-05-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
Here is some aftermath video. driver has a messed up face.

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video...ident-missouri
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-05-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Oh, the girl in pink commented on that video via facebook too.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-05-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Daughter is hot!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197 View Post
Daughter is hot!
As far as the video goes at that moment I think the mom looks hotter. That said, neither are ugly.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-05-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Old    9Drozd            09-05-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
I like to imagine the conversation between the mother and daughter went something like this at the moment of the incident.
Girl in Pink: Hey mom, you have a nice a** . Can I bury my face in it?
Mom in Yellow: No honey. Why would you wanna do that?
Girl in Pink: Too late. I already did.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-06-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
ooops, is that what I think it is?

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
Yep