Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-26-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
I going to FFFin throw a hammer thru my garage window!! How the hell do you solder these tiny little tabs together?? Im going to break something.

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-26-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
Your In Luck I just happend to be lurking here and saw your post.
See if this Video I made helps you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2C_gHopH4
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-26-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
A few tip's
#1 Get a Fiberglass cleaning pen its (in the video) helps prep and clean the surface of the led strip so the solder makes a good solid connection.
#2 Get a Solder Iron with a Very Small (sharp) tip. This helps you NOT over solder the connection and it keeps the heat right where the tip is. If you use a traditional gun the tip is to wide for a 11mm RGB strip and its easy to De-Solder the connection Next to the one your doing.and you could dammage the RGB stip with to much heat from a fat tip.
I use a Weller solder station, It was $120 and its a Great Investment. I also have a Hakko Station they are also great, Again under $150 and well worth it. If you have the right solder gun it makes the job much easyer and the finish product will be better.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-27-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
Grant obviously you have done this before so help me out a little please. I've looking into doing this in my boat more or less just because I want a fun project and It seems like I can do it for pretty cheap. I have zero experience with LED's but all I know is they don't use much power. If I wanted to run some RGB's around my 11 cup holders and maybe a strip under the helm what would I need exactly besides enough ft of waterproof LEDs. I've seen some kits with controllers and power supplies on amazon for around $30. Can I just buy one of these and then buy another roll of LED's if I need and just keep on stringing them together or is their a limit to what the controller can handle? It seems like these are 12v but they plug into a 110v socket? I can just ditch that cable and wire the controller directly to the batteries/switch etc...? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers..._bxgy_hi_img_y
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-29-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
OK guys. That helped. I got 4-strips made this weekend. 2 for my CBR 1000RR and 2- big ones for my amp area for the boat. Luckily they are both red!! Thanks again for settling me down. Jet

Last edited by andrewjet; 10-29-2012 at 7:32 AM.