Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
I believe Dowdy just landed the first ever KGB 7 off the wake, and John Twelker just landed the first ever double cab roll off the wake. No double ups.

Go team C-dub!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/videos...d-twelker.html

Last edited by wakeworld; 06-25-2012 at 3:28 PM.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-12-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Must be due to that washed out wake I keep hearing about....
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-12-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
When I see videos like this, I feel like we've entered a time in wakeboarding where the level of riding across the board, kicks up a notch again. Mobe 7s and 9s, 1080s being common, double flips, game changing wakes with the new Xstar and G23. New comers like Dowdy, Twelker, Harley, Shota, Powers (just to name a few), who grew up on huge wakes. You can't help but notice they ride differently than the older guys who had to create the sport from its infancy.

I'm glad to be alive during this era of wakeboarding.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-12-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
I know that feel, but let's keep this in perspective. It felt the same when the 900 took off and multiple guys were doing double flips in competition and it will probably feel the same when we're seeing multiple mobe 9 variations in contest passes. It's just another small step.

That said, 2012 is shaping up to be a great year! Dowdy's KGB 7 was really clean for a first time landing. He can get that thing consistent in no time. Sick!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-12-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
JUST UNREAL. These guys just keep rolling out the big tricks! I'm loving that it's getting to the point where you almost NEVER know what you'll end up seeing at any given time. So great
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-12-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Ok so Im goint to be "that" guy.

New Xstar=kgb7, crow mobe 9. double back roll to revert, possibly double indy tantrum but harley has done that behind his boat also.

G2...What "new" has be landed behind this boat, and dont say wake-wake 1080 in a contest. Im sure something has to have been landed behind it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
I don't know, but Mastercraft sure came back fast and crushed Correct Crafts hype, hahaha. It's kind of funny to watch the pissing match over their wakes. I'm not doubting that the new wakes made better things possible, but it seems to become the focus lately.

Great post John.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       06-12-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Children please give it a rest with the boat wars good night. Mastercraft and Nautique have been at the top of the water sports game since their inceptions. Guess what, they're still doing it. It's awesome, enjoy it.

That KGB is unreal.
Old    9Drozd            06-12-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
I guess you could say this is going to be the beginning of the double cork era for wakeboarding. I find it funny that people associate all this new progression with these big wakes alone. Alot of the progression is coming from the cableparks, trying new trick after new trick on the kickers and then translating that to the wakes. Im not brand loyal to any boat builder as they all have their corks, but if your trying to compare MC's team vs. CC's team on new tricks landed behind their new flagship boats you are a complete tool. All the OG's landed and created the foundation of tricks we have now behind almost non-existent wakes back before most of us could walk.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-12-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosfreak05 View Post
Ok so Im goint to be "that" guy.

New Xstar=kgb7, crow mobe 9. double back roll to revert, possibly double indy tantrum but harley has done that behind his boat also.

G2...What "new" has be landed behind this boat, and dont say wake-wake 1080 in a contest. Im sure something has to have been landed behind it.
and you are a tool if you think the difference in wake matters THAT much.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-12-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
My point was not so much about what wake is better. I just got tired of reading tons of posts of how the xstar wake is a pos. If thats the case then why so many new tricks being done? Thats all.
Old    9Drozd            06-12-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Alot of the progression is coming from the cableparks, trying new trick after new trick on the kickers and then translating that to the wakes.
Also because MC's team consists more of the next generation of riders where as CC's team consists more of the guys that grew up progressing the sport. The older guys are less willing to try new tricks because there are more reprocusions with age.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-12-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
I guess you could say this is going to be the beginning of the double cork era for wakeboarding.
Not yet.
Old    9Drozd            06-12-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Not yet.
Why not. We are starting to see a lot of different riders throwing different variations of doubles.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-12-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
The MC media machine does it again....!

Doesn't mean the Star's wake is better, it means they are going to sell more boats because they sell their brand and their lifestyle better.

CC needs to get some G23's in the water and sign some new talent, or they are Gooonnzzoo!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-12-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
Why not. We are starting to see a lot of different riders throwing different variations of doubles.
Doubles = / = double corks

No one has ever done the equivalent of a double cork OF ANY KIND on a wakeboard. The closest thing we have to that is Park's double mobe, which is TWO FLIPS and ONE SPIN. That isn't a double cork because double corks are diagonal flips in which the rider is rotating horizontally throughout the entire trick, rather than doing a late 360 like Parks. Oh yeah, and don't forget that snowboarding double corks in their current form are 900-1440 degrees of rotation!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-12-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
The MC media machine does it again....!

Doesn't mean the Star's wake is better, it means they are going to sell more boats because they sell their brand and their lifestyle better.

CC needs to get some G23's in the water and sign some new talent, or they are Gooonnzzoo!
Do you really think that? I'd bet no more than 3 percent of buyers can name the team riders of their boat company. I know I couldn't honestly name a Nautique team rider. I think you are forgetting the vast majority of buyers are not actually avid wakeboarders or follow the sport.
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       06-12-2012, 11:52 PM Reply   
I have to say that I completely disagree with the statement made about what constitutes a double cork. A frontside double cork 10 in snowboarding is 2 backflips with a frontside 3. Take another look at Park's double half cab mobe. It is exactly 2 backflips and a FS 3. Also, he spins the first 180 really early in that trick. I am sure this will turn into another snowboarding vs wakeboarding debate, which is pointless, but I think that if you break down the spins and flips being performed, then it would be fair to call the double half cab mobe a double cork. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
"Also because MC's team consists more of the next generation of riders where as CC's team consists more of the guys that grew up progressing the sport. The older guys are less willing to try new tricks because there are more reprocusions with age".

Bob Soven and Jimmy LaRiche aren't next gen?

"and you are a tool if you think the difference in wake matters THAT much. "

I haven't seen either wake, but if they really are bigger, don't you think that the bigger wake can open up the door to new tricks? I mean, that's what the double up is about right? If things can be done off of the double up that can't be done w2w, then why can't progression be attributed to a bigger wake? It doesn't seem out of the realm to me. Look how much bigger guys are going today than they were 12 years ago. Does that have nothing to do with the wake.
Old    9Drozd            06-13-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Bob Soven and Jimmy LaRiche aren't next gen?
Can you even read? Seriously. Nowhere did I say that CC's team did not have any next gen riders. Other than the two that you have listed how many more next gen riders are there on CC's Team. Now look at how many there are on MC's team. I'm not going to sit here and hash out whose team is better. They are both solid teams, I just answered your question.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-13-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
And just now...Dean Smith said he learned mute double rolls on twitter. Looks like everyone is going to be throwing doubles
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Take it easy, kid. Be a big grown up and argue your point without insulting people. I was just wondering if you had considered them.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
And just now...Dean Smith said he learned mute double rolls on twitter. Looks like everyone is going to be throwing doubles
I saw that too. Wonder if it was the DU or wake.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
dowdys kgb7 = awesome
dowdys american flag shorts = f*cking awesome
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
Dean's was off the XL kicker at OWC
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-14-2012, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdork88 View Post
Dean's was off the XL kicker at OWC
Oh haha
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
Kind of off topic guys, how about some props for Mike & Josh. Your killing it boys, keep pushing the sport.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-14-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedad33 View Post
Kind of off topic guys, how about some props for Mike & Josh. Your killing it boys, keep pushing the sport.
I completely agree. I didn't even think a kgb 7 was possible.

Personally, I also think that the bigger compliment to these guys is that they've started a little controversy on next gen riders, boats, and how the sport is changing. That's when something like a KGB7, or a w2w double tantrum, becomes more than a new trick.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-14-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedad33 View Post
Not really off topic when You look at the title of the thread! Leave it to wakeworld.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
Not really off topic when You look at the title of the thread! Leave it to wakeworld.
I think he was being facetious....

Anyhow, I love watch twelker ride, so much style on everything he does.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-14-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
watching stuff like this makes me love wakeboarding so much more. I wanna ride.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-14-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
It's pretty crazy how Twelker ollies up the wake on that! Anyone else catch that?
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-14-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
Ya, I got that... Guess I should've used my sarcasm font
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-14-2012, 10:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
It's pretty crazy how Twelker ollies up the wake on that! Anyone else catch that?
I wouldn't call that an ollie, it looks like he just let off his edge real hard, but still wicked because there is clear separation of board/water. He rammed right into the wake.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-15-2012, 3:54 AM Reply   
Ya. Awesome technique. He got straight up POP.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-15-2012, 4:32 AM Reply   
Like pumping the wake. Kinda what happens when you hit good double ups. Straight up buck!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-16-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
It looks like he flattened off a lil and the board kinda skipped over the trough. Either way you have to be crazy strong and technique to pop that hard for a w2w dub roll
Old     (diversity)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-16-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Doubles = / = double corks

No one has ever done the equivalent of a double cork OF ANY KIND on a wakeboard. The closest thing we have to that is Park's double mobe, which is TWO FLIPS and ONE SPIN. That isn't a double cork because double corks are diagonal flips in which the rider is rotating horizontally throughout the entire trick, rather than doing a late 360 like Parks. Oh yeah, and don't forget that snowboarding double corks in their current form are 900-1440 degrees of rotation!
Twelker's is a cab nine double. (exactly the same trick as on a snowboard) aka a double cork.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2012, 11:31 PM Reply   
Don't understand why we always need to put things in snowboard terms? We'd be calling tantrum to blinds 90 rolls or BS rodeo 5's if that was the case.
Having a rope and handle gives everything a different dynamic and a much clearer difference between inverts and really off axis spins.
Most of the time the TV announcers get snowboard trick names horribly wrong anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I love snowboarding and it's been more of an influence on my wakeboarding than wakeboarding has, but it's still a different sport with it's own tricks and trick names. You'll never be able to convince me parks' switch double roll mobe should be called double corked 10.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-17-2012, 4:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
Don't understand why we always need to put things in snowboard terms? We'd be calling tantrum to blinds 90 rolls or BS rodeo 5's if that was the case.
Having a rope and handle gives everything a different dynamic and a much clearer difference between inverts and really off axis spins.
Most of the time the TV announcers get snowboard trick names horribly wrong anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I love snowboarding and it's been more of an influence on my wakeboarding than wakeboarding has, but it's still a different sport with it's own tricks and trick names. You'll never be able to convince me parks' switch double roll mobe should be called double corked 10.
well put.
Why is it every time on this site, when someone lands a trick that has never been done before. There is always an argument over what it is and what it should be called. i've seen this all before when Phil Soven landed the crow 7.

who cares what its call or what it technically should be. its progression of the sport