Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-25-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Do these exist? I know the v-drive drag boats have these - one prop on dual shafts from the v-drive. I was wondering what the wake would look like for surfing. The props would spin opposing to each other. Either put the wake into the center or away from the center. Anyone ever hear of a wakeboard boat manufacture trying this?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-25-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
X80 has two props (and engines). Not exactly what you are talking about, but should give you the idea of what 2 props do.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-25-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
X80 has them, X80 makes a bad surf wake. to much cavitation and disturbance to the flow i think.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-25-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
Are you talking aobut two sperate shafts and propellers as in two drivelines under the boat? Or are you talking about counter rotating on "the same" shaft like a Bravo 3 of Volvo duoprop? Of course I know those setups have a smaller shaft inside of a larger shaft to counter rotate.

Two completely sets of underwater driveline will likely disturb the wake, like Joey says the X80 does. Counter rotating on the same shaft probably wouldn't, but I don't see the benefit. You have a more complex driveline that wears faster. Those inned shafts ride on a bearing that gets to spinning pretty fast with the RPM difference in shafts and will wear the shaft. Not to mention expensive shafts. Twice the expense of props. All for what? More grip on the water with less prop slip? I say keep a traditional driveline and go to a larger diameter 4 blade if you're that worried about slippage.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-26-2011, 5:23 AM Reply   
There have been tests. One dual prop tranny exists that can be retrofitted to most new boats - it is designed to go between the stringers. Main advantages - incredible hole shot, holds speed very well, backs up straight. Disadvantages: 2-props (double prop cost), does not improve top end due to drag. It is geared to turn props slowly, so you use higher pitch props than now. That increases torque and reduces drag. I've been in the test boats and they pull like a freight train. Its like adding 150 horses to the boat. It would be expensive to retrofit - like $10k plus. If you have the cash and really want a unique boat with unique capabilities - contact me and I'll get you in touch with the machinist who made it.

FWIW - they tested the boat with the gunnels awash with ballast and it still pulled out of the water to riding speed in about 200 feet. We figured 6,000 lbs water in a 205 hull.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
Hey Karl - I would like to know who makes this dual prop setup you are talking about... can you email me? mattostmeyer@gmail.com
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
Like this?
Attached Images