Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-12-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Just looking for opinions.

We have a family Reunion scheduled in mid June up at Lake tahoe and i'm wondering if it would be worhtwhile to take the boat. We will probably spending at least one day at a beach club and I think it would be fun to have the boat arround, however i have some concerns.
What is the water temp in mid June
What should i expect the conditions to be like?
Will it be smooth enough to waterski
how does time of day affect the conditions, I've heard that Tahoe can get rough fast.
I have a carbed motor, How much will the elevation affect the performance of my boat? I have an 89 Malibu sunsetter with 260hp mercruiser .

Part of me doesn't want to mess with it but the other part knows that if i get up there and the weather is awesome, i'll be kicking myself for not taking it.

Some expert opinions would sure be appreciated.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       01-12-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
take the boat.... you'll regret it if you get up there and it turns out to be perfect for boating
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
what part of the lake will you be staying at?

water temp in june will be hella freaking cold. It warms to a maximum of damn cold for a day or two in mid august.

We live in Reno and don't go to tahoe at all. For one it's expensive to launch ($60+ when you factor in the muscle inspection). And it's way cold. Most of all between wind, cruisers and the go-fast boats it can get very very rough. 3'+ rollers on the west side of the lake are not uncommon.

That said, if you were staying in tahoe keys and could get a chance to cruise to emerald bay on the right day, that would be something the family would never forget. We have friends that do the boat-in campground at emerald bay every year and they have a blast... though they also tell stories about taking rollers getting there every time.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 01-12-2011 at 1:30 PM.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-12-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
It's still up for debate but we will definately be on the south side of the lake
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-13-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
anybody else?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-13-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Tahoe=not worth it.

If you get out really early you can ride, but I'd recomend a drysuit. Water will likely be shot by 8am. The lake gets really rough in the afternoon. If you have a deep V with an I/O it's great (hence all the Cobalts). In a wake/ski boat it'll beat you up pretty badly. Launch is a pain with the mussle inspections. The bars on the lake are usually crowded on nice weekends making boat parking tough. Carbs are lame up there compared to injection, but it wont be the end of the world. We had a Blue Water with a carbed 350 when I was a kid and it did just fine. Probably not going to get a fully sacked boat going without a prop change, but you'll get up to cruising or riding speed if you're unloaded.

In the end, it's up to you. It's a beautiful lake to cruise around on. Especially Emerald Cove, but I wouldn't plan on watersports there. Just not worth it.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-13-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
i wouldnt
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-13-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Turns into the ocean in the afternoon! I came very close to sinking my centurion, I will never bring it up again!! If you want to get on a boat just for the day check into rentals.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-13-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
I made the trek up with my boat last summer from Disco Bay. Let me tell you, I will NEVER do that again!! We launched at Sand Harbor on the South / East side of the lake. It was a beautiful site to see Tahoe from the water vs the road, and Emerald Bay is truely breathtaking. BUT... by about 1:00 the water was like an ocean, and took all my skill to keep the nose from diving. Now keep in mind, I have a 24' Tige. The water was too frickin cold to enjoy. Sure you can get in and ride, but enjoy? No. Then there is the trailering aspect of the whole ordeal. Highway 50 is not the friendliest road for trailering.
My opinion, If you want to get on the water for a day, RENT A BOAT THERE.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-13-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
Thanks guys you made the decision an easy one. Will definately leave the boat at home.
Old     (cramm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-13-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
Whats the water temp in june on Tahoe?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-13-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quoted from Lake Tahoe FAQ's:

"Even in the summer months when it is the warmest, most people find Lake Tahoe too cold to swim in. At the surface the water can warm up to 68F, but this vast body of water generally averages around 50F on the surface for most of the year. Further down, the water temperature remains pretty constant at 39F."
Old     (cramm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-14-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
burrrrrrrr
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-15-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
I agree with most of what people said. I have my boat up there a lot of the summer for the family, Malibu 23 LSV, and getting across the lake in the afternoon can be a real adventure. The water is really cold most of the summer but we tend to get used to it. Wakeboarding is pretty much limited to very early in the morning or late in the evening if you know where to go and its pretty tough getting my crew up at 6:30 when they didn't go to bed until late. I don't know about the carb issue but we put a different prop on our boat for Tahoe, you lose about 15% of your power at 6300 feet.

On the other hand, when you walk out on the pier early in the morning and its glass and the sun is low and hitting the trees with golden light and you are riding over a sandy bottom in water that is Hawaii blue over boulders you can see 30 feet below with the stereo playing the song you love to ride to and your friends are in the boat watching the world unfold and you can't help but look down at your board knifing thru that turquoise water all that other stuff doesn't matter so much. Might be worth it to give it a shot.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-16-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
"On the other hand, when you walk out on the pier early in the morning and its glass and the sun is low and hitting the trees with golden light and you are riding over a sandy bottom in water that is Hawaii blue over boulders you can see 30 feet below with the stereo playing the song you love to ride to and your friends are in the boat watching the world unfold and you can't help but look down at your board knifing thru that turquoise water all that other stuff doesn't matter so much. Might be worth it to give it a shot."

Les- well put. Lived in Tahoe and learned to ride there. The description you gave is also so embedded in my memory and an amazing experience.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-17-2011, 5:22 AM Reply   
We went to Tahoe last summer in July, water in the am was glass and in the afternoon 2 ft swells. The crystal blue water is amazing but is probably was only 64 degrees max....Boat inspection sucks......it took over an hour and costs if i remember correctly around $100.
I am glad i went and brought my boat it was worth all of the hassle cause of the lake views and blue water, and the if kids can ride with no wet suit well.......
early morning pics.
Attached Images

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
I have been there many times with and without the boat. We go several times a year and never take the boat. I would save if this is your first time, than yes. It is very cool to be on the lake with the snow in the hills and it is absolutely gorgeous. It will be like 66-70 water at the surface. Early morning is plenty good enough for riding. Also night cruising is worth it. Once you do it once, you will probably not do it again. Gas is expensive due to local regulations and it is a pain getting in and out. Also many boats run poorly in the altitude. We typically go in June and me and the kids play in the water with no issues.

-Generally I would say it is not worth it other than it is pretty and an unique spot in the world.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Also if you have spare time, ask the group for their favorite hang our or restaurants. There are ton of great ones.
Old     (rdwynn)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-19-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
I just got back from a family trip to Tahoe. We rented a lakeside house with a pier and buoy for 6 days. My dad towed his Nautique up from Lake Elsinore (SoCal) and we're so glad he did.

We had pretty awesome luck with the weather...it was upper 80s almost everyday (above average for late June). The water temp was low to mid 60s. The mornings were chilly and everyone wore wetsuits, but the afternoons were fine without suits for the adults. My kids (3/5/6) wore their wetsuits even in the afternoon when they were wakeboarding and tubing.

The entire lake was glassy from sunrise (about 5:30) until about 8:30 everyday. Still decent skiing and riding until about 10:00. After that it was tubing and surfing time until sundown, and a couple of the days it smoothed out in the evening.

We didn't see any crazy storms, it did get pretty windy one afternoon (35 mph or so out of the east/southeast). We moved the boat out to the buoy for that one, and kept it at the pier the rest of the time.

The highlights of the trip were the glassy bright blue water in the mornings and the cruise through emerald bay. We stayed in Carnelian Bay so it took us about 50 mins to get down to emerald bay. The low point of the trip was me tearing the meniscus in my right knee 10 days BEFORE the trip, so I became the default driver. I was able to surf but that was all.

If you're strapped on cash, maybe leave the boat at home. Gas is expensive up there, you'll have to get the mussel inspection ($100). The tow up through the mountains is a little steep too. My dad's 4.8L silverado did OK at best. But if you can afford it and you'll be there at least a few days I'd definitely bring it. You may have crappy weather, but you might just get the best session of your life.

photo IMG_6145-1.jpeg photo IMG_6161.jpeg photo IMG_6192.jpeg