Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-23-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
Just seeing what people think of this card. It should be pretty interesting with all heavy weight match ups. It either will be awesome with some great knockouts or a bunch of guys gassing out in the third round.

No matter what the main event is very interesting to me. My brain says Dos Santos is going to crush Mir. But for some reason I am pulling for Mir and believe he has a real chance. Hopefully he can at least get it to the ground for a little bit. Should be fun.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Frank Mir - UFC Heavyweight Champ again
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
I am not sure who I am pulling for because I like both of these fighters. If Mir has continued to work on his hands standing up I think Dos Santos could be in trouble. Mir doesn't like to get hit so if JDS can connect I think it is good night. If Mir gets him on the ground he will Big Nog him. Either way I am excited. I am not sure I have ever seen Mir this big and fit. He looks great. JDS could end up showing us some of his ground game which would be nice to see.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-23-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
This is truly an interesting fight. Junior is obviously the superior stand up guy. Mir IMO is the deadliest ground guy in the heavy weight division. Although Mir's stand up isn't bad and he does posses knock out power. Dos Santos is a freaking beast on the feet and we all know Frank can't take a punch. He wilts way to easy.

That said, Mir is a great fighter and can win this fight. My pick? Im going with Dos Santos by TKO (Ref Stoppage) in the 2nd or third round. unless of course Mir gets it to the ground then I'm changing my pick to Mir by tap out in whatever round he gets it to the ground lol
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
You guys know I am Mir biatch. I love me some Frank Mir. Here is the issue, JDS is a bad mo-fo. He has the fastest and probably the heaviest hands in the division. The thing is that it is pretty much his game and Mir does well against straight strikers. If Mir keeps his damn hands up and can get in the circle, he can get his hands on JDS and finish him. At +400 on the books, I am laying some wood on Mir for sure. Mir looks in the best shape of his life and he was ready for a 5-round scrap with Cain, so he could easily win this fight. Anybody in this division that hits you can knock you out, including Mir. So just cause JDS has heavy hands, is not enough. Mir second round submission.

I think Cain easily wins. I still believe he is the most complete Heavyweight in the world. His boxing is great and his ground work is great. I see him fighting the winner of the Mir fight which is hopefully Mir and I think that is a true test of complete martial artists. The main thing is he is so complete and will not wear out like the rest of the heavyweights. Silva brings nothing for him.

Big country should also take this win. He still is an amazing mma fighter. Take away the belly and you have a guy that has fought at a high level for like 10 years. It could easily end up in a grappling challenge as either guy is plenty good on the feet. I just think his heart and chin will prevail. These guys can both strike hard, but Big country has proven he can take the biggest hits from the biggest in the division. I don't see Herman having more power than the rest of the guys.

Haven't look much at the rest of the card yet but looking at Miller, Struve and ludwig on first looks.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
You guys know I am Mir biatch. I love me some Frank Mir. Here is the issue, JDS is a bad mo-fo. He has the fastest and probably the heaviest hands in the division. The thing is that it is pretty much his game and Mir does well against straight strikers. If Mir keeps his damn hands up and can get in the circle, he can get his hands on JDS and finish him. At +400 on the books, I am laying some wood on Mir for sure. Mir looks in the best shape of his life and he was ready for a 5-round scrap with Cain, so he could easily win this fight. Anybody in this division that hits you can knock you out, including Mir. So just cause JDS has heavy hands, is not enough. Mir second round submission.

I think Cain easily wins. I still believe he is the most complete Heavyweight in the world. His boxing is great and his ground work is great. I see him fighting the winner of the Mir fight which is hopefully Mir and I think that is a true test of complete martial artists. The main thing is he is so complete and will not wear out like the rest of the heavyweights. Silva brings nothing for him.

Big country should also take this win. He still is an amazing mma fighter. Take away the belly and you have a guy that has fought at a high level for like 10 years. It could easily end up in a grappling challenge as either guy is plenty good on the feet. I just think his heart and chin will prevail. These guys can both strike hard, but Big country has proven he can take the biggest hits from the biggest in the division. I don't see Herman having more power than the rest of the guys.

Haven't look much at the rest of the card yet but looking at Miller, Struve and ludwig on first looks.
Good insight.. I don't think Mir will stand with JDS for long and I think I'm the *only* one who thinks JDS's hands are over rated. I think they are fantastic - but I don't think he is tops in the world. I'm HOPING for Mir by submission. I love Frank.

I think you are severely *under rating* Neapao against Cain.. The guy is big, agile, fast, good hands, decent on the floor (he's a Ricardo Liborio black belt).. I don't know who will win - but I think it's an overstatement to say Cain wins "easy".. He got melted like 3x by Congo and KD'd by JDS.. If Silva can put his hands on him - it could be a longer night than expected.. I like that fight a lot - would be great to see a war. I like both guys.

Herman has the tools to beat Nelson. But they don't come any more durable than Nelson is. I like both guys - I'll bet after Nelsons media tyrade the past few days, Dana is hoping for a Herman KO. Nelson has been putting people on BLAST.

Miller says he retires if he loses. I'll take him by submission. I'll take Hardy by submission as well. Struve will also win by submission - I don't care for him much so I'd be nice to see Lavar get his second KO in 2 weeks but I don't see it going that way. Struve will get beat senseless for 2 minutes adn then win by submission - probably triangle.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
This is truly an interesting fight. Junior is obviously the superior stand up guy. Mir IMO is the deadliest ground guy in the heavy weight division. Although Mir's stand up isn't bad and he does posses knock out power. Dos Santos is a freaking beast on the feet and we all know Frank can't take a punch. He wilts way to easy.

That said, Mir is a great fighter and can win this fight. My pick? Im going with Dos Santos by TKO (Ref Stoppage) in the 2nd or third round. unless of course Mir gets it to the ground then I'm changing my pick to Mir by tap out in whatever round he gets it to the ground lol
wow - riveting picks you've made there.

"I'll take fighter A by his best weapon unless fighter B can use his best weapon first - then I'll take him"

Ground breaking stuff Bro!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
I'm also a Mir fanboy and will be pulling for him (+400 = me putting dough on him!)...that being said, I think JDS TKO's him in the first or second. I don't think that Mir has the takedown offense to get JDS on his back and JDS isn't going to shoot on Mir and risk playing in Mir's guard.

Gonzaga just fought not too long ago and Cain has been out a while. This one is tough to call, but I'm going to have to stick with Cain.

Herman beats Nelson after laying the leather on him for three rounds. These wars that Nelson have been in aren't doing him any favors. I see him being near the end of the road...which is unfortunate, because I like him.

I really like the Struve/Johnson bout. It's going to come down to can Johnson catch Struve. Struve has been crumpled a few times by big power punchers. I'm taking Lavar in this one.

I'm stoked for this card though. Hopefully, the hole 90 degree/surfing/riding/coving/holiday weekend/ mass consumption won't disrupt my fight night watching.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
^^^ Cain is fighting Bigfoot Silva, not Gonzaga..

Great insight! Hope you're wrong about Frankie!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
You're right, my bad. This cards Ben shuffled so much I've forgotten who's fighting who!

No worries, my picks are always wrong!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-24-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
Is this on Pay per view or Fox?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2012, 11:33 PM Reply   
Only One man can beat dos santos. No one will believe me but it is bones. If u don't beleive it u r crazy!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2012, 11:34 PM Reply   
If people want to take a bet on bones . I am down!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-27-2012, 12:16 AM Reply   
Great night of fights. I don't see anyone beating Dos Santos any time soon. Cain has a a chance but like Jones in the Light heavies nobody has even come close to challenging him. The crazy thing about it is he does it all standing up, nobody seems to be able to take him down. Would love to see a Dos Santos Jones match up at a catch weight of 230
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
That was a great night of fights! I think an annual all heavyweights card would be awesome.

Cain looked vicious, Dos Santos looked vicious, Nelson continues to surprise me...as does Struve. I think the Cain/JDS 2 is going to be alot more competitive than the first fight. I'd like to see that happen asap. Winner of that fight takes on Overeem.

Another unpopular opinion = I think Overeem has what it takes to beat JDS and would be the one to stop him.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-29-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
It will be interesting to see a post steroids Overeem. A few months before everyone found out he was on the juice I posted on here that I have been on the juice in my younger days and I could tell just by looking at Reem he was doing them. A lot of people said oh no he's just working out and eating lots of protein yeah uhuh. Anyway i know when I would go off the cycle my strength and weight would go down by at least 20 lbs in body weight and 30-50 lbs in my bench. It will be interesting to see if Overeem can dominate without the juice. honestly the giht I always wanted to see was Cane vs Carwin why haven't we seen that fight?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
I know I am one of the few people with this opinion but JBJ doesn't have what it takes to take out JDS. What got you to the belt in 205 will not get you to the belt in HW. Cain/JDS 2 is worthless (I am being dramatic). He destroyed Cain in 64 seconds or whatever. I am not sure Cain has the chin he needs to get past JDS because that guy is vicious. I am not sure what to think about Overeem - I don't know him that well but if he comes off the sauce and is of normal size for HW - I am not convinced that he is some kind of technical master to get past some of these contenders. I think Bigfoot got a raw deal with that cut early on - I wanted to see that guy fight but to give Cain some kind of credit for dominating the guy isn't fair when he couldn't see.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
BTW - on the whole Carwin deal - I am not sure what he did but he is clearly on Dana's **** list and has lost a couple key sponsors lately. I can't really figure it out but the guy just disappeared from the scene. He is around because I follow him on Twitter but not much visibility into what is next for him.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-29-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Cane is the one who has the best chance right now to beat Dos Santos. i dont think Cane will try and stand up this time he is gonna shoot and keep shooting till he get JDS ot the ground. you cant count Cane out just because he got caught early, believe me thats not gonna happen again although anything is possible. I wonder what the deal with Brock is? Honestly not that interested in seeing Brock come back unless they penalize him for backing up and falling into the fetal position LOL
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
It was my understanding that Overeem failed his test due to an excessive Testosterone to Epitestosterone ratio (he was14:1, while the 'normal' male is 1:1, but Nevada State Athletic Commission allows up to 6:1). So, he didn't test positive for a banned substance, or steroids, or HGH, or anything like that. He failed a drug test due to an ellevated T/E ratio. This is exactly the same way that Chael Sonnen failed his test after the Anderson fight. Overeems testimony in front of the NSAC (with lawyer and doctor present) blamed the elevated ratio on a prescription injection from this particular doctor after he reaggrevated his rib injury. sigh.

Now, it's well known that TONS of MMA fighters (and athletes in general) are using Testosterone as a PED. Some via the proper channels (i.e., Sonnen, Dan Henderson get pre fight approval for the use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy) but they are still not allowed to have T/E ratios above the limits set by the state athletic commission. So, the way they cheat is they run their entire training camp on mass amounts of testosterone which helps with recovery and intensity, then taper it off closer to fight time to test within the limits. This will never stop until they have out of competition, random, olympic style testing.

I guess my point is that we'll never see post steroid Overeem, because he's never been caught for steroids. However, It's obvious that his mass gain from his 205 days in pride, to a 260lb monster with very little body fat is not a natural thing for a male to do in 5 years (especially during his mid 20's).

I don't think he needs PED's to beat JDS, but he'll be on them anyways. I think his experience, striking (K1 Champ let's not forget) and overall savageness will get him the W.

I don't want to see Brock back either. The talent and athletic ability of these younger fighters has outpaced him. IMO, he had no business being in there with the likes of Overeem, Cain, JDS. Overeem methodically picked him apart and shut him down with body blows and a liver kick (whats up Bas Rutten) and Cain straight up kicked his ass.

Carwin- I thought he's still hurt. Hasn't he had like 2 back fusions since we last saw him? I think at his age he's most likely done as a top level MMA fighter. I hope not though, I like him and the way he fights.

I heard that Cain might have a broken hand and would be out until November if true, unless cleared earlier. We might see Overeem vs. JDS before we see Cain vs. JDS. I think Overeem will get a shot at the belt as soon as he's off suspension (Nov/Dec?).

Sorry for all the rambling.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-30-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
interesting. So I was watching MMA live last night and heard that squeeky clean jon Jones was ticketed for a DUI anybody else know about this? His license was taken away for a year. Wonder if the fame is getting to him. Yeah I agree with the whole Lesnar thing, Lesnar is a great wrestler but doesn't know jack about MMA. He will always be able to beat some of the guys that are sub par or older on there way out but he will never be a contender with guys like Overeem Cane and Dos Santos. how he manged to eeek out the win over Carwin still amazes me.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
This is interesting information on Overeem, I will admit I know nothing about the guy. I would like to see him go through Cain first but I don't see either one taking out JDS but god knows anything can happen. Jones got busted for the DUI (totaled his Bentley into a telephone pole I believe) around the same time as the hot ring girl who got arrested for DUI or Domestic Violence.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
I think Brock got a bit of a raw deal. The guy had virtually no "warm up" fights and was thrown to the wolves in the hw division. Is he coming back? I haven't heard that. If the guy got some experience with guys that are more at his skill level I think he would be able to be a contender but he certainly doesn't take a punch very well. But age is clearly working against him.