Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-10-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Whats the best way to replace those 250lb hard tanks on each side of the engine? We would like to get some 500lb sacks in there just wondering if anyone has done it?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Replace the hard tanks w/ launch 400 lb bags. Just reinforce the partition wall between the engine and the ballast/storage area.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-10-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Malibudude is right. Another option that some have done is tap on to the overflow from the hard tanks and plumb that into sacks that sit on top.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-10-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
We would like to add 400lb sacks to the hard tanks, like you guys mentioned. I guess my question is how to plumb it all together so it drains and fills porperly, w/o having to use a manual pump.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
You don't need the hardtanks once they are replaced w/ the 400's. With front ballast and the wedge there is plenty of wake back there to through anything. If you add more weight in back you'll need to counter balance it w/ more front weight.
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-10-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
Malibudude,
Good to see you here. When are we gonna go biking again, you avaliable for this weekend? Remember he's talking about the old style VLX, like mine, so not as much ballast as yours (yes I am a little green with envy about your boat but thats another story for another day). Steve, you can also fit the 750's back there if you remove the hard tanks, getting even more weight in there if you like. I have heard of people just pulling the tanks and hooking up the hoses to the new sacks, that is another idea for you.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-10-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Thats what we would like to do. Either put 500 or bigger back there. Its got the 3 ballast MLS in it. 2 rear 1 middle. We will have plenty of people weight for the front to balance, if not we can get a sack to lay in the bow. Still wondering the best way to plumb it all together so it fills and drains right.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Plumb it exactly the same way the hard tanks are and it will be fine.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-10-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
FYI, The largest improvement on that model is add a big ol' 600-800 pound sac in the nose.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Mike,

Not sure about Sunday, I've got an injury to my hand that I can't risk water time by coming back too early. It's killing me....

Two 750's in the rear will produce a gigantic wake, just use the existing plumbing.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-10-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
Thanks man. Will the 750's fit back there , that space doesnt look that big??
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Yes the 750's will fit, maybe they won't fill 100% but they'll fit. Make sure to reinforce the partition wall along side the engine.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-11-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
they is a company which i forgot the name but they make tanks for boats(they have every dimension possible), not sure if thier for water or what but it would be sick to lift the floor and replace the old hard tanks with larger ones, can anyone help me out with the company?
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
I have an o4 vlx and i replaced the hard tanks with 750's. I just used the existing pumps and ordered the quick disconnects from fly high.Im having a rough time getting the wake dialed with the front weight though. The bags only fill to the level of the through hull fittings.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-14-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Mike do you have the 3 tank MLS or the 4. We have the 3. Im sure if you had 400 to 500lbs of people weight up front with the 750s in back that would be ok?.....Maybe? So you took out the hard tanks and just swaped them out with the 750s....sounds easy enough!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Yup, just remove the hard tanks and put in 750's with quick disconnects. Easy as heck. Took me about 1.5 hours on the first one and 20 minutes on the second one. Best "upgrade" I did for my boat. I also purchased the integrated bow sack with the intention of putting it under the seats in the bow. I just decided to put it on top of the seats since the only time I need that weight is when I don't have enough people in the boat.
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
I had the 3 tank system. I filled the 750's up as far as they would fill then filled the stock bag in the ski locker and stacked 2- 400 lb. v drive sacks on top in the walk way and the wake is huge but kind of washy. we were boarding @ 26mph just to get a clean lip.maybe i need more weight in the bow? The 340 monsoon pulls it out with nooooo problem.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
I saw a guy once who added a second set of hard tanks in each locker. Pretty much exhausted all usable storage space. His was an 03, but it had the same tanks as the 04.