Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tipofloe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,

My warranty just ran out this Friday, and when I pulled my boat out of the water on Saturday and cleaned it, I've noticed several hairline gelcoat fractures.

I've searched through the forum for a good solution to repair this, but there seems to be various opinions on cracks, but not for the hairline fractures like this.

Has anyone ever had such a problem? The dealer quoted me $400 per crack, and since I have 4 of them, it's going to run me $1,600.

The funny thing is that the cracks are all by the screws that are mounting the windshields...

Anyways, I hope that it's simpler than having to remove the windshields, sanding it down and having to redo the whole gelcoat...

Posted Image

Last edited by tipofloe; 08-30-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: didn't show picture
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-30-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
There are four now and you may get more later if it's related to flex at the windscreen. Why not just leave them and keep the $1600?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Those are spider cracks. I would leave them alone. You could have them repaired, but there is good chance they will be back next year.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Man that sucks on what is very obviously a manufacturers defect. Did your dealer even take a swing at Malibu on warrantying it?
Old     (slappie75078)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
I would really want to get them fixed too. I would go back to the dealer and to Malibu to try to get them to cover it. Since your warranty JUST ran out, it would be easier to convince them they should goodwill the repair.

If they would not warranty the repair, I would put a sticker over each of them and be done with it. $1600 could buy a lot of other boat upgrades.
Old     (tipofloe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Man that sucks on what is very obviously a manufacturers defect. Did your dealer even take a swing at Malibu on warrantying it?
They told me they'd forward the picture and see what they'll do about it... But...

I'm not too sure in this day and economy...
Old     (tipofloe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappie75078 View Post
I would really want to get them fixed too. I would go back to the dealer and to Malibu to try to get them to cover it. Since your warranty JUST ran out, it would be easier to convince them they should goodwill the repair.

If they would not warranty the repair, I would put a sticker over each of them and be done with it. $1600 could buy a lot of other boat upgrades.
I'm just worried that they'll start spreading like the windshield cracks on cars...