Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    tclagggym            03-02-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
I have a rule 500 bilge pump I need to replace, but I'm not sure how to disconnect the plug or wires into it, or do I just cut the wires?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       03-02-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
You will need to cut the wires and splice in the new one. You may also have to drill in a couple pilot holes for the screws if you don't get the exact same pump. It is a simple job if you have easy access to the pump otherwise be prepared to scrape the h*ll out of your hands and arms.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-03-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
I glued my bilge pump replacement to the bottom of the hull with silicone caulking rather than drill new holes into the bottom of the boat, very scary. It held in place for 3 years until it sucked up some heavy debris (stainless screws) and needed another replacement. It peeled off fine.
Be careful not to plug the grates of the pump with too much silicone.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-04-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
An FYI on the wiring: Make sure if you do a splice for the wires that you water proof the connection! An easy way to seal a splice is to get some liquid electical tape from Home Depot. However, I would suggest the use of a sealed connector. One that has a gasket. Your dealer should have these. They are pretty inexpensive.

Just my $.02 and something you see people miss and then they find out it's a problem as soon as they get water in their bilge area and the pump doesn't work. Defeats the purpose.