Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (boarder82)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-03-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
I have been trying a few tantrums for the last 6 weeks or so and can't quite get it. I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. Here is a video of the last one I tried on Saturday (at the end).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GggFjHwv0A

I tweaked my ankle pretty good on this one, and I won't be on the board for 2 weeks or so. I'm thinking that I need to have a little more weight on my front foot when I takeoff. Also, it looks like I really arch my back to initiate the flip, do I need to do this? Hopefully I can figure out what I'm doing wrong before the end of the season. Thanks in advance...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-03-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
It really doesn't look too bad. You are looking over your rear shoulder a bit but most of your takeoff and everything looks good.

My two thoughts on why you might be coming up a bit short. Keep the handle in a little bit more...like have your front arm bent at a 90 degree angle with the handle. Also, laying it out like that is alright but once you spot your landing you need to bend your knees and try to bring them into your chest. That will speed up the last half of the rotation. Right now you are staying layed out the entire time.

Good attempt though and get better soon!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
in my eyes, take the same approach but be over your board a bit more, square your shoulders at the wake, and don't stick your arm all the way out. There is a tug a little past half way through the rotation that you need to have some arm power to tug against. square up to the wake, and have your arm to where your upper arm goes out to the side, and forearm goes up (like you're about to flex). This gives you some more power, and keep it like that so when that tug happens you can handle it. Tug it back when it does, spot your landing with the thought of edging away upon landing
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
90 degree angle makes a lot more sense than how I described it^^^^^ same idea
Old     (boarder82)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-03-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot fellas, I wasn't ever thinking about what my arm was doing. I'll try to keep it in next time.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-03-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
adub,

on that tug half way, where do you direct the tug? right now,when I get to that point, im pulling the rope across my chest and turning 90 degrees frontside.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-03-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
DJ - I'll let A-dub chime in, but you basically just want to resist the pull more than you want to actually pull the handle into your body. So just try to keep that front arm/elbow locked at 90 degrees. Yeah, pulling it across your body will cause you to spin.

(Message edited by eubanks01 on September 03, 2009)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
i am having trouble explaining it in words. The boat is going to give a big tug, feeling like it will get ripped out of your hand. Squaring shoulders at the wake, and putting your arm in a 90 degree angle with fist pointing up allows you to take that tug. It's like if you're playing with a dog with a chew toy, when try and pull it from you you just give a little tug back to stay even. That said, it sounds like you're doing one big pull in the whole time, which is why squaring up the shoulders, and the 90 degree arm sets you up in the position, then 2/3 of the way around when the rope yanks, you stay strong, give a slight tug back, and that helps you bring it the rest of the way and set it down. Let me know what didn't make sense!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
Exactly, just like when you're learning to get up, don't go with the boat, don't go against, just hold that position. It's a good tug, so you have to be ready to keep it even and stay strong
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-03-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
I think righ t now I feel that tug and freak out, and react by yanking.

everything else looks like a perfect poppy nice tantrum. the type I could eventually grab.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
having the arm at the 90 degree angle allows you to take that tug. It's hard to land when the arm goes all the way out and straight. A short pull up is easier than an fully extended one.