Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old    justinh            01-07-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
I don't know what to think about Boarder's Mall. Is it good for the sport or not? I am yet to buy anything there, but I still check their best buy most every day.

I worked at the Houston Boat Show this past weekend. The winter boat show is a great opportunity for shops to showcase all of their new wares, but also a last chance to move any left-overs from the year before. This weekend I was making bargains--30, 40 even 50% off on some set-ups. A lot of shoppers in Houston got an opportunity to get on first-rate gear at--or even a little below shop-cost.

But I had several show-goers approach me with offers that were simply ridiculous. For example, we had a watson 138 in the wrapper and I had several people offer me $160 for it. That is way below shop-cost and a huge loss--especially for a board that I would consider a gem. Every time they said, "I can get it on Boarders Mall for that." In the end, the board sold, but it being on boarders mall really killed its value (it still sold at a loss).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think Boarders Mall buys directly from the manufacturers. They are overstock and second boards that manufacturers dump as early as mid-summer. I know dealers get a shot at these boards first, but it is tough to take on more product mid-season when you still have plenty to sell.

So, is Boarders Mall good or evil? Is it: more power to the people or is the industry cutting its own throat? I would like opinions of all types.

Disclaimer: I don't own a shop or work for a shop and I am not completely knowledgeable about how all things in the wakeboarding industry work, but I do have a master in marketing and am a sales manager in a different industry. This situation set off a red flag for me and I would like to know more.