Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
Ok, so WTF does this have to do with wakeboarding?

This image is on homepage of wakeboardingmag.com

I don't like of umbrella companies, poor customer service, buying products made in China/UAE, but I especially don't like companies that use sex to sell wakeboarding. A company that is true to our sport should do good for the sport, not take the easy way out to make a buck. Reef ads have been frustrating mothers for years with their ads in WBM, but at least these pics were not run by the mag itselt (not to mention Reef models usually wore bathing suits and were near water, unlike the above).

It doesn't matter if its Dylan Miller with no vest or WBM with excessively sexual images, the media should be responsible because these images do affect young people in a harmful way. We don't want to see kids drowning or growing up to get breast implants and working at Hooters for five years (girl above).

Ok, so maybe they are real, and as long as its some one else's daughter, that's not so bad, right? Shhhh...just try not to think about that. But think about this...how does this help the appearance of our sport to new audiences?
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
I totally agree. The mag has continued to go down hill. I stopped reading the mag & website long ago. Don't get me wrong, I like T&A as much as the next guy but there is a time and place. Alliance is a much better mag anyway.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
Alliance is definitely the better magazine, but Alliance has also had the Girl Page for a long time now.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-26-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
I bet the above picture is at a lakeside bar and grill that people wakeboard on... therefore... it is closely related to wakeboarding, imo
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-26-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
I'll be the first to stir the pot here and say WHO CARES??

Sex sells everything. This isn't new. The world isn't changing anytime soon so the best 'affect' on young people is good parenting, as unless you plan on raising kids in a bubble they will be exposed to it at one point or another. So what if a wakeboarding mag has models... stop reading the mag then if you are offended. What if you went to a cablepark and Monster was there with hot girls giving away energy drinks? What if there was girls in bikinis doing a charity car wash in the parking lot? Would you leave?

FACT: Girls in WBM will not ruin the world.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-26-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
I'm with Stuey on this one. WGAS? We wear board shorts with no shirts and girls will be in bikinis, it's not like we are out there on the water with three piece suits.

Last edited by wake77; 02-26-2011 at 1:00 PM.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-26-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
"FACT: Girls in WBM will not ruin the world"

They probably won't, but what is the point of them??
Old     (Erik2393)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-26-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm gonna hafta go with stuey on this one as well. Of course sex sells... thats the way it has and always will be. Kids get exposed to this stuff in all kinds of ways I mean have you ever seen a Disney movie? Stuey is right the greatest effect on kids is the parenting. Wakeboard mag has done stuff like this for a while and always will but it isn't targeted towards kids. Commercial advertising is just like that ha just turn on the superbowl and the kids will be completely educated!

And Jeremy isn't that one of the best parts
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
I don't have an issue with the girls. My issue is that they are attempting to cover up a lack of wakeboard content by throwing in some T&A. Its a tacky move in an attempt to sell some mags. If I wanted to see hot chicks in their underwear, I would have picked up a maxim.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
Between hating on a fella for not riding with a vest, to now complaining about half naked hot chicks. I hereby nominate Cisco as the official WW No Fun Police.

Come on man, its wakeboarding. As wakeboarders do we take ourselves so seriously that we can't appreciate a little eye candy? To me this sport is about fun, hot chicks are included in my idea of fun.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-26-2011, 3:37 PM Reply   
I am completely against a mag running videos or pics of riders without vests. however, I have no problems with them running pictures of models. especially when they are also into wakeboarding. are you actually knocking the fact that she works at hooters? working at hooters is probably what has enabled her to become a model. how is that a bad thing? she is making a living doing something she loves. not everyone can say that. if someone has an issue with their kids seeing a girl in a bikini in a magazine, they will never be allowed in any bookstore, grocery store or anywhere else where magazines are sold.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-26-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
Kids are seeing and hearing much worse than this^ pic daily unfortunately. WBM, Alliance, and Transworld all have T&A featured photo shoot. IMO this is a lesser evil than the first hour of public school for kids..

Not wearing a vest doesn't make anyone look like a bada**, Just a dumba**
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
Alliance IS better.

Using sex to sell is nothing new, but something new is WBM running pictures of girls in lingerie. Besides, who are pre-teens and teens more likely to listen to: a magazine they think is cool, or their parents who keep telling them to clean their room and do their homework?

Nothing is wrong with girls in WBM as long as the picture has something to do with wakeboarding. Obviously, I'm not complaining when girls like Dallas, Nicola or Amber are in the mag. How do you think female athletes feel when they train all winter and some amateur working at Hooters gets more exposure in WBM than them?

Bikini-clad Monster girls by the water in a crowd of people is far less influential than the entire page of an international magazine dedicated to an almost-naked girl. These pics below show two things: Monster girls show way less skin, and I have way too much time on my hands.

Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
This thread is STUPID...... Justsayyin

Dave please delete this.
Old    mojo            02-26-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
Are you gay? It's ok if u are. Women wear bikinis and men are naturally drawn to them. It only makes sense to see hot women in a watersport mag. Boats=bikinis
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
Nope........ But this thread is.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
Boats = bikinis, sure.

BUT

Boats does not equal lingerie on a bar indoors. WBM went too far this time.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
I don't have a problem with the magazine, but CISCO what is going on in your profile pic????
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
I don't really care, but why is your profile pic what it is?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-26-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
Yo QC... your Flamming a wake magazine for girls in thongs..... but your profile pic is two girls humping each other.....What message are you portraying?

+1 thread is stupid
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-26-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
more pics please
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-26-2011, 5:15 PM Reply   
whatever about the subject of the thread being lame, the pics are awesome! Don't delete the thread!
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
WBM is supposed to be about wakeboarding, not girls in lingerie. And it's not like these are candid photos from a contest or anything. My profile is supposed to be about me, so that's why I have a pic of two best friends goofing around. I like good times with my friends. Besides, WBM's websites must get hundreds of hits a day from people who want to learn about wakeboarding so they have a larger more impressionable audience. My profile, on the other hand, goes days without any hits, until I open my mouth and WW geeks want to take cheap jabs at me between rounds of Final Fantasy.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
I think this photo is more acceptable because at least she is wearing a bikini by the water

Last edited by Cisco; 02-26-2011 at 6:24 PM. Reason: i pasted the wrong thing
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-26-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
yes that photo is very acceptable....that is all
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
I don't have an issue with the girls in the mag, but having them pose on a bar with a bunch of booze in the picture is a little tacky. That same pose on a platform or sun pad would be much better.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-26-2011, 7:32 PM Reply   
Finally!! 2011 Boat Bun thread.... Keep em coming fellas..
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-26-2011, 11:42 PM Reply   
Wish I was that door handle!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-27-2011, 4:12 AM Reply   
Maybe she wakeboards and then models on the side.
She is welcome at the cable park or on my boat any time.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-27-2011, 5:09 AM Reply   
This is the dumbest post ever made on wakeworld. That picture is awesome and if anything it will coax me into actually picking up one of their magazines again. I cannot believe I actually saw someone criticize the Reef ads, unreal. Transworld always has hot half naked girls in their magazines, it is the only reason to buy Transworld Surf. This is actually a good thing for Transworld Wakeboarding because it will hopefully take them away from their standard conservatism and move them towards a more edgy up to date magazine. If they want to get back in the market, there is one way...focus more on cable. Even though cable has become pretty much the dominant aspect of wakeboarding in America, the mags will barely have any pictures of it. Frankly, these kids shredding cable are getting just as popular as our boat pros. All of the big contests are moving in the cable direction and to me, the World Series which is a true world tour, is the most sought after prize we have now. It is just like the snowboarding events that have super pipe, slopestyle and big air. We now have cable, obstacle only, and boat. I think it is also becoming accepted that Fooshee is the best all around rider in the world, at least among the pros. He chose to ride the cable tour instead of the pro boat tour last year, but if you have seen him ride boat, and pay attention to how he places when he rides a boat contest, he is always up there with the top guys. With all of the cables springing up in the US and all of the cables around the world, if you had a cable specific magazine made by one of the big companies, the thing would fly off the shelves internationally. People going to ride the cable would buy the mag at the cable park, and the Europeans would actually have a reason to buy one of our wakeboard mags because cable riding is their main form of riding. Photos will actually have variety compared to the standard Delta shots, Shasta shots, Powell shots etc.. that basically are nothing but a cool background but nothing new. The amount of variety all of the cables offer supersedes the potential boat shots by 10 fold. Boat riding is dead. Gas is too expensive, boat prices keep going up, the economy is in the dumps, and only one person gets to ride at a time. So that was my tangent, Transworld Cable or Alliance Cable is the wave of the future. Whoever hops on it first is going to leave the other one in the dust.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
but having them pose on a bar with a bunch of booze in the picture is a little tacky
There's booze in that pic?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-27-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
It was my understanding that the Miss Transworld 2011 contest was submission based. These are women from our industry or that participate in our sport. What could be better than that? Hot women that love wakeboarding? The winner will be flow out to California for a photoshoot and some time behind the new 2011 TransWorld Supra.

Cisco, although I'm sorry you were offended, you must not read too many other action sports publications. All magazines utilize sex to sell. It's just part of our culture. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm sure the powers that be have read this and taken your comments under consideration.

Hahn
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-27-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Hahn. You were a lot nicer with your response than others. I'm not upset with this pic. I just don't agree with it. I read a lot of skate mags and I'm subscribed to Transworld Snow, but I can't ever recall seeing lingerie except for once as a joke not to be sexy. I hope the powers that be DO read this, but unfortunately most contributors in this thread disagree with me. Notice how no women have said anything. Sure it's mostly dudes on this site but I'm sure most women would agree with me. Especially female competitors. Anyways, I'll just sit back and wait for the special edition lingerie issue of Transwake. That should be a top seller. Even more than an all-cable issue.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-27-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Between hating on a fella for not riding with a vest, to now complaining about half naked hot chicks. I hereby nominate Cisco as the official WW No Fun Police.
This. Seriously dude, breathe it out. If it bothers you so much, start putting things in motion to become editor of the mag so you can clean it up. Otherwise, just lead by example and tape those pages together in your copy of the mag.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
I Love all the pics int his thread One of the reasons wakeboarding is the favorite of the board sports that I do is that there women scantily clad all over the water.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-27-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
links to foshee boat set?
Old    sperbet            02-27-2011, 7:22 PM Reply   
Man, there are some uptight people out there these days. Seriously, there are a lot worse things going on out there. Worrying about a girl in a magazine is completely ridiculous.

Last edited by sperbet; 02-27-2011 at 7:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-27-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
it clearly has every thing to do with wake boarding....and i love reef ads
Old     (PAE)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-27-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
Cisco,

It has everything to do with demographics! Have you taken the opportunity to look at the tab on the bottom of www.wakeboardingmag.com titled advertising? If you haven't please click on the media kit. In said media kit it states; median age 30, median household income $97,000, 83% male and 93.8 minutes reading WMB. Did you see 83% male? I would invite you into the world of marketing before you make any more comment about the industry! Take a look at surfline.com and the photo section titled bikinis. Are you OK with that? The surfing industry is 10 times larger than wakeboarding and i can't find any post similar to yours! Life if full of choices and i will leave you with this quote by Ayn Rand - "Man is a being with free will; therefore, each man is potentially good or evil, and it's up to him and only him, through his reasoning mind, to decide which he wants to be."

We all know where you stand!

Shane
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-27-2011, 11:15 PM Reply   
Dude, I just love boobs.
Anything to sell a magazine, dont like it, dont buy it. DONE. Go buy alliance.
No need to post this on WW.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2011, 5:18 AM Reply   
I agree with Cisco AND Shane! I can't imagine how the pro female riders must feel to work so hard to get so little coverage in the mag, yet women in the "Miss Transworld" contest just have to show a little skin to get an entire bio published (at least online) & likely can't even go wake to wake. However, I subscribe to the mag understanding what to expect and which demographics the ads are targeting.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-28-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
The only problem I have with WBM and Alliance is that they have replaced the photos of girl riders with posers.

I like girls in bikinis as much, if not more, than the next guy, but there are girls in the wake-scene that are more than boat candy.

The girl with the most published photos in the wake media last year had to be Watson's girlfriend. What happened to her? Are they even together anymore?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
It's an interesting crossroads. I completely agree with Kat that women in the sport definitely don't get the coverage they deserve in the magazines. That being said Shane also hit it on the head that when it comes to money, which drives everything, your target demographic rules your decision making.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-28-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
There are men in the wake scene that don't like girls in bikinis or lingerie...

I don't even know what to say. This all seems very foreign to me.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Cisco's profile pic + this thread = hypocracy at it's finest...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-28-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   

Yep
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-28-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
WOW- Nickbot nailed it....
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-28-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
keep bit$$in* and maybe we wont be lucky enough to have ANY magazines for this sport... cisco no one values your opinion fyi...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
I can't imagine how the pro female riders must feel to work so hard to get so little coverage in the mag, yet women in the "Miss Transworld" contest just have to show a little skin to get an entire bio published (at least online) & likely can't even go wake to wake. However, I subscribe to the mag understanding what to expect and which demographics the ads are targeting.
Excellent points!

I noticed that one of these girls is on the fold-out cover this month with Shane Bonifay appearing on the main part of the cover. It bums me out to know that wake content is ending up on the cutting room floor in favor of these types of articles/photos. I would prefer to see Shane gracing the entire fold out cover of the mag or to see an interview with a pro female rider in place of a modeling photo spread. I like seeing pretty girls as much as the next guy, but I know where to find them if I need them. Wake content is a lot harder to come by, so I would prefer to get as much of it as possible stuffed into the publication I'm paying my hard-earned dollars for. When the link between the pretty girl in the bikini and wakeboarding becomes too tenuous, it makes me feel like I'm getting less value.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-28-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
Williams, you don't pay for the mag! Do you?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
Yes, I do...and I've got two WakeBoarding Mag tote bags to prove it!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
hmmmm, i'm on the fence, perhaps some more examples
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-28-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
I started reading this then realized how much more interested I was in the pics than what was being said... with that Im on the fence with Bruce^^ need more pics!!
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-28-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Dave+1

Maybe we should have less bikinis during the year and then a full blown wake related Maxim/Swimsuit Edition type mag at the end of the year? or even a calender for the next year featuring some T&A so we can count down the days till spring?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-28-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
Don't get offended... Marius Otterstad, a professional Snowboarder just posted this on my facebook wall.

http://actionporn.blogspot.com/2011/...e-of-week.html
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-01-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
If the bikini girls are not cutting wake articles I don't see the problem. We don't know unless the editor chimes in. The Reef girls are advertisment dollars so they are not going away, nor do I want them too That said, I would like to see a 'female rider of the month' in every issue.

I do agree it would be nice for just a dedicated 'swimsuit' issue in January to tide us over till Spring riding. If like SI, it might be their biggest selling mag. Everyone realizes it comes down to money so any suggestions needs to have $$ value added. Female rider of the month might get girls to pick up the mag more.

One of my favorite articles in the last mag was who and what boat was the sickest boat to chill with the ladies. It was a fun read.
Old     (roymunson1)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Women or not. WBM is lame. Content is mediocre and the editor is an elitist.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-01-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
WBM did do a swimsuit issue last year.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
I understand the whole female wakeboarder slant, but in the end it's about money and women are not a large segment of their demographics, womens sports all around have these issues. The coverage just isn't as good because there just aren't enough women that are interested to make it proiftable. You can't blame a magazine for catering the the simplicity of the male reader and putting hot women in little clothes to get their attention.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
I can see why people might think I'm a hypocrite, but those people fail to see that:

1) I am not showing a girl in lingerie, but girls in shorts and bikini tops (like you see at any contest)
2) I am not showing a girl inside doing nothing, but girls outside playing near the lake (like you see at any contest)

I love bikinis on girls. I paid for a subscription to WBM, so its not like I'm just gonna stop reading it. I have cancelled my subscription before, but WBM is a great resource for keeping up to date with the sport. I just think if they care about the sport then they should keep their content related to the sport.

The pic below would have been fine by me.
Attached Images

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
I understand the whole female wakeboarder slant, but in the end it's about money and women are not a large segment of their demographics, womens sports all around have these issues. The coverage just isn't as good because there just aren't enough women that are interested to make it proiftable. You can't blame a magazine for catering the the simplicity of the male reader and putting hot women in little clothes to get their attention.
I agree, but some are going to argue its because they are catering to the male reader that more women are not active in the sport.

I just think the whole debate is humorous. This is a sport where riders are known to party their faces off, take beer bongs after runs, and in general keep things fun. Does a girl posing in lingerie on a bar really take wakeboarding in a new or different direction? Don't buy the magazine if you have that much of an issue; coming to wakeworld and creating a complaint thread is a little over the top. (just like throwing the girl under the bus for have fake boobs and working at Hooters for 5 years, pure class there buddy)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
justify your profile pic all you want but it still has nothing to do w/ wakeboarding. girl-on-girl, yes...wake, no.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
justify your profile pic all you want but it still has nothing to do w/ wakeboarding. girl-on-girl, yes...wake, no.
Maybe he can spend time photoshopping them on the back of a boat,
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
There just aren't enough women active in the sport to balance the readership.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-01-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Cisco, I think the best point you make is that these girls get more coverage than girls that actually wakeboard. Why wouldn't you just buy Maxim??
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-01-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
I find it funny how you are now trying to say it would be ok if it was a picture of her on the back of a boat opposed to a bar top like the background or setting makes such a difference.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
Not to shock anyone here, but I have been to Hooters. ["Gasp!"followed by "thud!" as Nickbot falls off his chair] Yes, it's true. And guess what? Their food sucks! I had their chicken burger it was rubbery like it had just been microwaved. So yeah, I'm definitely slamming Hooters.

I don't know this model's circumstances so who am I to judge, but I spent 5 years in dead end service job and I can't congratulate her for doing the same, nor would I recommend it to young people. At least she leveraged that time into a modeling career, so I'll give her credit there. My little cousin wants to be a model but I'm trying to steer her away from that. Modeling is a extremely competitive industry with low wages and it encourages anorexia, bulimia and use of cocaine to keep models thin. Almost all modeling careers are very short as well.

But hey, I sound like an after school special and maybe I should ease up. Maybe I'll just buy my cousin a pack of smokes to reduce her appetite and say if she starves herself for a week I'll let her chew and spit half a veggie-burger on her 'cheat day'.

P.S. if y'all don't like this thread then don't respond to it and let it die. responding to it just keeps it alive. dumbasses. guess that's why you missed my whole point to begin with. notice how 100% of women on this tread agree with ME?
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
you gotta get the wings at hooters
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
Dave: It's not only the setting cuz I added a bright BLUE bathing suit over her lingerie. I'm a wiz with Paint
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
100% of the woMAN. 1 female agreed with you. Interesting enough, the females in the target market (18-30) look at and enjoy these photos too. They pose more potential into attracting a larger market and audience than having a special article on the newest girl who learned how to do a flip or married a legendary pro wakeboarder. You'd be surprised.
Old    Chris            03-01-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
That was entertaining.

GQ, you are one tightly wound individual! Ease up on the sanctimony just a bit.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-01-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Yeah girls that wakeboard should be banned from wakeboarding magazines. And they wear those long shorts as well. Disgraceful!! The worst thing about WB magazine is that they send this cr@p to your email address with this girl lying across the bar as their headline act as though that is the hook. Actually reading this thread it appears to be working.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Not to shock anyone here, but I have been to Hooters. ["Gasp!"followed by "thud!" as Nickbot falls off his chair] Yes, it's true. And guess what? Their food sucks! I had their chicken burger it was rubbery like it had just been microwaved. So yeah, I'm definitely slamming Hooters.
You were slamming the girl for having fake boobs and working at Hooters; that statement has nothing to do with the food.

Try not to trip during that back-pedal...

What’s funny is in the beginning Cisco was against sex selling wakeboarding, the swim-wear clad Reef girls, or anything “excessively sexual." Then it was "it’s ok as long as it’s on a boat or around a boating area,” mainly to justify his profile pic. So which one is it?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
dude, simply justify the wbm pic like you justified yours.

1. some wakeboarders are girls.
2. some wakeboarder girls like to drink.
3. some wakeboarder girls like closed-toe boots.
4. some wakeboarder girls wear one-piece bathing suits.
5. some wakeboarder girls wear chonies under their suits.

BAM! wake related.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-01-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
I can't wait till winter is over for everyone including myself so we can all spend our time riding and wrenching on our boats instead of sitting on these brutally lame threads.

March 21st can't come soon enough, the second I unpack the last box in FL I'm hittin the water
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2011, 8:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
100% of the woMAN. 1 female agreed with you. Interesting enough, the females in the target market (18-30) look at and enjoy these photos too. They pose more potential into attracting a larger market and audience than having a special article on the newest girl who learned how to do a flip or married a legendary pro wakeboarder. You'd be surprised.
huh? I didn't get that part about 100% of the woMAN.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-01-2011, 11:21 PM Reply   
^^^ I think it was woMAN as in singular, not woMEN, plural.

This honestly makes me lol. It is the winter doldrums that make me come back to this useless thread and read all the responses but hey, its something entertaining.

G Q, seriously?? You wrote this?

Quote:
My little cousin wants to be a model but I'm trying to steer her away from that. Modeling is a extremely competitive industry with low wages and it encourages anorexia, bulimia and use of cocaine to keep models thin. Almost all modeling careers are very short as well.
I'm actually on the fence, trying to decide if you are serious here. Of all the comments in this thread, this takes the cake. Did something happen to you in a past life? Maybe you were a male model and couldn't turn left, or just maybe Jetpilot turned you down for a photoshoot because of your Tige tramp stamp tattoo??? Either way, you are overreacting here.

Your little cousin isn't going to see that picture, immediately run to the bathroom, puke up her breakfast, and then start doing coke at 11am. Nobody would! If they did, they have greater problems than a magazine. That's just like saying professional wakeboarders (or any athlete) encourages the use of steroids to get ahead. Come on... people know (or should know) right from wrong, no matter what the media says.

To sum it up... if it affects you that much, don't buy it. You can get just as much info about the sport on wakeworld WITHOUT the sexual content.. just don't click on any boatbun threads.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-01-2011, 11:22 PM Reply   
But I will give you props for the photoshopped one-sie... haha.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-02-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Haha. Thanks Stuey! Your last post made me lol too. Seriously tho, I meant all those things I said about modeling (low wages, eating disorders, brevity) . My friend is a photog and he says drugs are at most of the fashion show after parties. But your right. Linking WBM to drug use is a huge stretch.

Problem is I already paid WBM for my subscription. I don't want to miss out on all their exclusive pics but I don't want to support them when I don't think they are doing a good job. The latest issue of Transworld snow doesn't have any lingerie or bikinis cuz snowboarding doesn't need it to sell mags. Wakeboarding, as a sport, doesn't need it either. But bikinis are part of wakeboarding since I've probably never seen a serious female rider in a once piece.

WBM has been slipping for a while. Its like the first 20 pages are ads (granted they need revenue), then a pic of a methond, then Batwings on both pages of a spread, then shifty Indy's on both pages of another spread, another method, etc. I don't see how an editor could show the same grabs back to back on the same spread and not see that is might look really repetitive.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
well for me its pretty simple if i have the choice to put my eyes on this picture or a picture of a magasine with 2 juiceheads grabbing a board i prefer the first one ..... its just more lovely to my eyes no offense. But everyone choice's ...