Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-25-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
OK, I fabricated a surfboard from recycle materials; card board and shopping bags. I called this monstrosity “Recycle This!!”

The board is a little heavy, no really heavy, but it handles reasonably well. I’m working on getting air but I haven’t pulled off a full Ollie. Recycle This!! won’t be the first board that I Ollie, that’s for sure. At 24 pounds its a bit hard to coax into a lip slide.

The top deck is a bit slippery, that makes handling even more difficult. Though this board is not going to be a top performer I’d like to make it a little easier to ride. I’d like to add some traction pads. If the board wasn’t so slippery I think I could lip slide and maneuver a little more aggressively.

I’m not real familiar with traction pads. I’ve been looking at Stiky Bumps pads. They look like they are for the very back of the board. I think I need more traction for the center for the board as well. What range of traction pad options exist?

Thanks

(Message edited by Bigshow on April 25, 2007)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-25-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
For completeness here's a picture of the board.
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            04-25-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
24 pounds?! Oh my goodness. :-)

Options, I have used from least expensive:

Wax - My personal fav is sharkbait surfwax but it will get all over your boat.

http://www.sharkbaitsurfwax.com/

Paint on - Hula Dek clear - cheap, quick and functional.

http://www.surfdogz.com/beach/traction/clearkit.htm

EVA foam...you can find this in various thicknesses and colors at many online craft stores - just avoid the smooth surfaces.

Traction sets like from X-Trak:

http://www.xtrakstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=233
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
I managed to get a hold of a traction pad for a CWB Tsunami to put on my Walzer. It's pretty damn nice.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
that thing weighs 24lbs!!! holy crap man!! that is insane!!
Old     (sk_centurion)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-26-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Ed now I know how you get your boat to list so good you stick the recycle this board in the rack for extra ballast. You don't even need the weight system you have.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-26-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Recycle This is the best dual purpose board on the market. You can surf on it and when it is on the boat it adds additional ballast to the boat
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-26-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
That was the joke at the Norris Lake Ice breaker - dual purpose.

Gee I wonder if all of the extra weight from adding tracking pads will have a negative effect on performance?
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-26-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
I have been wondering when you were going to bust that board out. I've been dying to see some pics of you riding it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-27-2007, 5:10 AM Reply   
We didn't get any riding pictures at Norris, here are pictures from a little more than a week ago.

This was from the first ride of the season We didn't have the wake dialed in very well.

Upload
Not too fast - slow down
Upload
That's good
Upload
It's an easy riding board
Upload
Float
Upload
Upload
Lip slide attempt
Upload
Here's the best proof I have that Recycle This can be surfed - 50 F water my feet got a little red and numb but the dry suit kept me toasty
Upload
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-27-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
That is dang cool. Your board is made out of grocery store bags and cardboard right?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-27-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
Grocery bags, cardboard, and gallons of resin. One of the guys that I work with is a polymer chemist, I’m going to enlist his help for another try next fall. I learned a lot on this build and have ideas to make improvements.

See the slide show for the build.
http://www.wakesurf.net/media/showphoto.php/photo/259
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
I just got some traction, I'll see how it works out Sunday.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Rode the board again today with the traction. The traction helps a lot.

I placed the traction so the Korger’s logos could still be seen. I was worried that the back traction was too far back. I was riding with my back foot forward of the rear pad. I think I need to add a little more traction forward of the rear pad.

Jeff, 24 pounds is a bit hefty, but the board really handles reasonable well.

How much did that door weigh?