Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
And boy am I feeling it!!! Having a harder time than normal getting back into it this year........could be cause im getting older or maybe cause the wife is about to have a baby!! who knows, its still fun anyways here is my latest edit......

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-09-2011, 6:13 AM Reply   
30?You're feeling rough @ 30?Wait another 15-20 years. LOL
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-09-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Nice riding in the video too
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-09-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMWAKE61209 View Post
And boy am I feeling it!!! Having a harder time than normal getting back into it this year........could be cause im getting older or maybe cause the wife is about to have a baby!! who knows, its still fun anyways here is my latest edit......

I turn 30 this weekend and had a baby 5 months ago.. I feel your pain - I sprained my ankle on the first set of the year this year. Bwuahaha - I suck.

Aren't you the guy with the fly ass wife who rides? If so, more vids of her, less vids of you!

Congrats on the new ripper you got coming.. Will change everything
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
30 YOUR A YOUNGSTER!I'll be 52 in august,it's really hard for me to get back to where i was last year.
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2011, 6:47 AM Reply   
Age + Child = Boat Driver
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
dude sick riding , keep on keepin on..

i started wakeboarding at 28 yrs old and am now 41 , i never considered myself good but i am addicted and love this sport even today after 12 yrs behind a boat riding almost year round and still have those good days that keep me coming back.

I still am holding onto my 3- 4 invert,s gave up spins for pain reason, and although i dont try much new tricks i am still having fun.. you have along time to go so dont worry if you have to scale back because of life things just enjoy the days you do get to go out..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
your life as you know it is over.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-09-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
I feel ya man, I turned 30 on May 30th and since then I have felt like an old man. Hoping my back eases up so I can ride this weekend.

It's weird because I remember being 16 and flying all over the place, crashing like it was nothing. I swear I don't feel older but damn I sure feel those crashes now. I'm sure you felt that 911...

Keep shredding.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
30 was fine for me. It was 31 where my body started to fall apart. I have had a shoulder issue for well over a year now and more and more my lower back starts aching more from riding. 17 years of wakeboarding and snowboarding take it's toll on knees and lower back. I have found stretching a lot has really helped.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
I am with you Casey. I turned 29 this year and it's been the hardest year by far to simply get "back into wake shape". Some of my thoughts on the situation:

I have been told that as you get older the good days are the ones where you wake up and dont hurt...which become less of the norm than when you were younger...like the pendulum swings from being healthy and feeling good most of the time to the other way.

More importantly I am scared Sh...less for what's coming. If I hurt this bad now how bad will it be in another 15 years...?

As you get older you "splat" more and "bounce" less IMHO. This is why kids can push harder and get better/stay better quicker/longer. Falling is just as important as riding (which everyone knows) but at some point I stopped bouncing and started lawn darting...which seriously hinders progression.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmx View Post
I am with you Casey. I turned 29 this year and it's been the hardest year by far to simply get "back into wake shape". Some of my thoughts on the situation:

I have been told that as you get older the good days are the ones where you wake up and dont hurt...which become less of the norm than when you were younger...like the pendulum swings from being healthy and feeling good most of the time to the other way.

More importantly I am scared Sh...less for what's coming. If I hurt this bad now how bad will it be in another 15 years...?

As you get older you "splat" more and "bounce" less IMHO. This is why kids can push harder and get better/stay better quicker/longer. Falling is just as important as riding (which everyone knows) but at some point I stopped bouncing and started lawn darting...which seriously hinders progression.
I wakeboard saturday and sunday and hurt till wednesday.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
My buddy that I am 50/50 turned 30 last October.... and we're looking for a new boat now - more geared to wakesurfing because he can't ride more than twice a week and expect to walk
Old     (bobbysky)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-09-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
at least you can still land a crow mobe. I bet there is not a ton of people over 30 that can claim that
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
As a doctor friend explained it to me your body acts like a timing belt in a car; all's going well then it just fails. Your back, your eyes, your knees you wake up one day and they don't work and its not always something that just creeps up on you.

I have a watch with a dark dial and one day at, 40 years old, I could not read the date. It was a holy crap moment because I never had a problem reading it the previous week. A year later I had trouble seeing the hands at night.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
nice vid.... I bet you..I turn 31 this year
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
As a doctor friend explained it to me your body acts like a timing belt in a car; all's going well then it just fails. Your back, your eyes, your knees you wake up one day and they don't work and its not always something that just creeps up on you.
I don't agree at all with that, if you have good nutrition and exercise there is no reason for the machine to fall apart. I'm fitter now at 38 than I have ever been in the past.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Darren...I think your statement REALLY depends on how active a youth the individual has had. I know I will NEVER EVER EVER be as fit as I was in highschool, college, etc. There is NO WAY I will be able to knock out 16 pull ups and run a 5:30 mile...without a TON of effort on my end to prepare for those specific activities. So when people make statements like it's the "fittest" they have ever been...I kind of scoff at it. Had they put as much effort into training, eating etc when they were young as they do now they would have been total athletic animals. When you add to the equation that the older you get the more responsibilities you take on and the less time you have to maintain or build a strong body...cook good meals, etc. and you are fighting an uphill battle regardless of how good you feel.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-09-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
Don't be a quitter..... I'm 32 and ride better now than I ever have. Granted... I haven't learned any new tricks for the last 4-5 years, but I went a full season last year without falling hard once... There is something to be said for consistency. Of course.... I've already gotten worked this year, so I blew that theory out of the water.

Anyhow.... After years of abuse. Starting skateboarding when I was 10, snowboarding, wakeboarding, mountain biking and dirtbiking I have been feeling it for years. I've had many a morning where I didn't want to get out of bed. I wouldn't say it's gotten better/worse as I've gotten older. The only thing I'm noticing is that I've had more and more injuries that haven't healed right. Broken bones that I get reminded of. Strains/sprains that I can still feel sometimes.

I'm actually really pumped to ride this year. Maybe it's because we've had such a long winter. Anyway.... I just love being on the water. I'm sure I'll give it up one day, but not for now.

And FWIW... I know I could go knock down a 5:30 mile and do 20 pull-ups...... hahahaha
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-09-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
Whatever dude, life is both longer and shorter than you think
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody for the kind words.....including joe (i think)......
one thing i didnt mention is that i sprained both ankles pretty bad that ended my season last november (it was pretty much over anyways) So i think that might be contributing some to my having a hard time "getting where i was on the water". But with a baby on the way and some other projects on my plate not to mention boat is in the shop, i have found it harder to get to the water. I love this sport and i wanna keep riding as long as my body will let me.... maybe even a little longer!!
One time at the boarding school i rode with a couple in their late 70s!!!!!!! It was crazy....... (really hard to complain when the other riders at the camp are old enough to be your grand parents and Travis never lets me complain anyways hahaha.)
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Don't be a quitter..... I'm 32 and ride better now than I ever have. Granted... I haven't learned any new tricks for the last 4-5 years, but I went a full season last year without falling hard once... There is something to be said for consistency. Of course.... I've already gotten worked this year, so I blew that theory out of the water.

Anyhow.... After years of abuse. Starting skateboarding when I was 10, snowboarding, wakeboarding, mountain biking and dirtbiking I have been feeling it for years. I've had many a morning where I didn't want to get out of bed. I wouldn't say it's gotten better/worse as I've gotten older. The only thing I'm noticing is that I've had more and more injuries that haven't healed right. Broken bones that I get reminded of. Strains/sprains that I can still feel sometimes.

I'm actually really pumped to ride this year. Maybe it's because we've had such a long winter. Anyway.... I just love being on the water. I'm sure I'll give it up one day, but not for now.

And FWIW... I know I could go knock down a 5:30 mile and do 20 pull-ups...... hahahaha
I'M 52 ALMOST and i bet i could too.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-09-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Surface tricks, wake carves, cheezy grabs, ollies and 180s. Thats all I got.
Love it, and love watching my sons tear it up.
Still a boat load of fun. Hey my buddy on his 40th B day just pulled a back roll off my crappy fishing boat wake last week.
Relax, have fun and ride into the sunset old man.
Have you got your senior silver card for the steak house yet?
Are you getting mail from AARP?
Are your reading glasses 1.25 or or are you up to the 11/2 jobbers yet?
Call us when your knees make shotgun pops going up stairs.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-09-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'm 44 and just started riding last year, the kids got me into it. On a good day I can clear the wake, hopefully by later this year I'll learn a grab or two. Other than that I suck... the knees, back, shoulders and everything else just aren't what they used to be.

The kids make it look easy....

Whenever I start feeling old (which can be quite often) I remember this personal quote that several people seem to use on their profiles:

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "...holy crap...what a ride!"
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-09-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
over 30, still pushing as hard as I can. I think it just becomes more important to condition yourself as you get older

Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2011, 8:48 PM Reply   
Ah man...I'll be turning 33 or 34. Funny how you forget at our old age...lol
My biggest suggestion is going into the season nice and slow without pushing yourself too hard. Start going a bit bigger as the time goes on. Wait until you are at what you feel is your top shape...when you can crash through the water and everything kinda stays together well to start pushing yourself to actually get better.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmx View Post
Darren...I think your statement REALLY depends on how active a youth the individual has had
I have always been fit, in the last year I have changed over from power sports (Gym, rugby, wakeboarding) to endurance sports (cycling) I cannot believe how well the body still responds to a different type of stress, the progress I have made in cycling fitness is incredible. As part of my sons cycling team I regular ride with high school aged kids so i am pretty familiar with the level they ride at and I can confidently say that I would be stronger and faster now than I would have been if I was cycling at school. I think I have more free time now that I am getting close to 40 than I did at 30. It is super nice now having an older child and being able to exercise together as a family.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-10-2011, 4:44 AM Reply   
34 here with 2 kids 2 and 4. I am still riding but I will say I enjoy surfing more and more each year. I do get a little gun shy when throwing into the flats because I know a hard fall will have me in pain all week. The extra weight in our bellies from beer probably is not the best for balance either.

sent using tapatalk
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       06-10-2011, 5:33 AM Reply   
You guys are old
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-10-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
Darren, changing from power sports to endurance may be the first sign. What drives that? Nutrition and exercise are very important and don't forget flexibility in the routine as you will find your elasticity changes. At some point you will have that oh hell what happened moment. I too from 35 to about 42 never felt fitter. For some unknown reason my cycling improved with age but I toned back from heavy lifting to endurance/cardio/balance. I know some of my improvement in cycling was a more "mature" focus like heart rate monitoring, food intake before an during longer rides, hydration and pace.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
I'm 30 this month too and this is my second season wakeboarding... well if the damn season would start, the water is still in the 50's here in WA.

Definately adding up the injuries from years of hard action sports. Bad ankles, knees, shoulder, wrist, back, neck... The only things that still work right are the muscles lol

I'm in better shape than 5 years ago, but not 10. The 20 yr old version of me would be laughing his balls off at my progression...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-13-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
You're just a young whippersnapper!

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-13-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
30 isn't that old. Hit the gym, tighten up your joints, and get out there and ride. You're only as old as you feel, yes it takes longer to heal, but you typically do a better job taking care of yourself when your older. I've got pins, screws, and rods in my body and I don't feel any worse than I did when I was 25. If I don't work out consistently then the age takes hold.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-13-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Is that video all the same person? At first I thought it was two different people because the switch riding is done quite well. After a second glance it looks like all the same person, but I can't figure out whether the rider is regular or goofy. Based on the heelside tricks, I would say the rider is goofy. But pretty much all the toeside tricks are regular. So if I had to bet money, I'd say the rider is goofy but feels more comfortable doing toeside tricks switch.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-13-2011, 3:24 PM Reply   
Austin, I'm gonna go with regular. The counter-clockwise cable forces regular riders to become good riding goofy.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
lol - the crappy thing about our sport, you gotta be nearly 35 to afford an 80k dollar boat, but by the time you do - you're too old to ride behind it...

I'm 31 - glad I can start using my age as an excuse now .... hahah.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-13-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
that's why you talk your parents into getting one of them fancy shmancy boats. Then all the old fogeys here on wakeworld can call you a punk kid for referring to the family boat as "my boat."
Old     (coda281)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-14-2011, 12:00 AM Reply   
wow, i hope i can ride for my entire life :P and i just started haha
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
One thing for sure, none of us are getting out of here alive.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-14-2011, 10:21 PM Reply   
Ha ha John youre right on the money dude! Regular rider, but I dont really think about it anymore, its just inside and outside tricks to me now
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2011, 12:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Darren, changing from power sports to endurance may be the first sign. What drives that?
The wife and son started riding so I started too, got totally addicted and gave up the gym after 20 years service.

Quote:
At some point you will have that oh hell what happened moment. I too from 35 to about 42 never felt fitter.
No doubt, but it doesn't have to happen @ 30!

Quote:
For some unknown reason my cycling improved with age but I toned back from heavy lifting to endurance/cardio/balance. I know some of my improvement in cycling was a more "mature" focus like heart rate monitoring, food intake before an during longer rides, hydration and pace.
For sure, as you get older you get smarter and it makes up a huge difference in performance.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
At 41 my body feels pretty old. Hit the water for the first time yesterday as was serious winded and out of shape. This is usually the case for me, but never had cardio issues. I have not done anything to prevent this, but sucks getting old. I had one hell of a time and still landed a few of the standard inverts. Looking forward to a long late season.
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
austin, if you were talking about the top vid, then you are right! I'm goofy but my switch toe side is WAY stronger than my regular toe side.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Yeah, I was talking about the top video. Now I understand what the people who were replying to my post were talking about. They thought I was talking about the cable video.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
I'm with Darren. I just cracked 50 and I'm not nearly ready to toss in the towel (don't think I'll ever be). For me, it's not about continual progression (or regression) in the same sports I've always done. I seem to rotate through sports activities and sometimes add new ones. I've been wakeboarding now about 5 years and regardless of level, I enjoy progressing on my own path. Wakeboarding is a re-visit to the days & days of waterskiing I did in my teens. I also did a lot of weights & gym back then. In my 20's I was a surfer and loved learning to do that & the lifestyle. I also played a lot of tennis. In my 30's I was a dad with young kids and a demanding career. I played a lot of golf because work paid for it with clients and it got me out of the office. Harder to stay in shape, I also started going back to the gym. In my 40's I discovered I was a pretty decent runner (when younger, I hated running). In the last 10 years I've run 9 marathons. While cross-training, I've also discovered cycling and open water swimming adding a few handfuls of triathlons. Mid-40's through now, after re-discovering the boating life, I just can't get enough wakeboarding, regardless of what level I'm at compared to others. Being behind the boat can hurt more than it used to, but I still love being there, just like I did when I was 14 and progressing at whatever speed I'm able to.

I will NEVER resign to sitting on the couch and being just a spectator. I see that in too may of my kids' friends parents. It's sad, I just don't get it. I've got my share of accumulated injuries but whether it's new sports or revisions of previous ones, I'll be active right up until I'm in the grave. Currently, I'm aiming to be just 1/2 as good as John Anderson. When he quits (better not, John), I'll be worried.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-15-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Amen Andy! You can give up, get a beer gut and reminisce about the glory days like most people or you can make the effort, stay in shape and keep having fun. I turned 40 and I've lost a step from my youth, but I still get out there and throw down because someday I won't be able to and I don't want to wish I had done more.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
Here's another inspiration: Banana George Blair. He LEARNED to waterski at 40 and LEARNED to barefoot at 46. He was barefooting well into his 80's. I'm too young to pass on all the fun. I wanna be like George!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...98/1/index.htm
http://www.barefootcentral.info/Banana_George.htm
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-16-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
I hit the 30 mark in February - and can completely understand everyones growing pains. I started riding 15 years ago (1996), juggeling between the sport and 3 other sports I played club and state leagues in back then. Needless to say I was on top of my game (physically) off the bat. About 6 years ago is when everything started to move from progress to sustaining then to decline. There are a few tricks that i said- eh I dont need to feel that pain anymore (ex. Raley, whirly, double-up double inverts, etc...). Before I new it- I was a wake-to-wake warrior who gave up half his bag of tricks just because I was getting too old.

How I turned around was simple, I was motivated by someone starting a few years ago! After watching someone who had been riding longer than I, who was older than I, take an initiative step to bring their game back up in the past few years, I was inspired too. This meant I had to get out of the comfort funk: start eating way better (just because you can afford it doesn't mean its good), get my butt back to the gym and outside cardio weekly (biking and running) and take on the ever dreadful Yoga so I can bend again. These were some of the steps that I noticed the other guy was doing, and it definitely showed in his riding. Every year he started going bigger, riding smoother, and throwing new tricks - even after the age of 30!

I can say that after a 2- maybe 3 year initiative- I can tell too. Most important I feel way better, I am riding smoother than I have in a long time, and I am back with confidence charging the wake (got out of the comfort funk). The guy who inspired me to not throw in the towel at 30, and that with the right mind and attitude I could get right back on top of my game, can inspire anyone in the sport. He brought his riding back so well that he took 4th last week on the pro-tour against the best riders in the world- most of whom are half his age and/or weren't even born we he started riding pro. The man is no other than 35 year-young Mr. Shaun Murray!

Thanks Shaun for helping me get back to why I enjoy the sport - not just talk about it!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMWAKE61209 View Post
austin, if you were talking about the top vid, then you are right! I'm goofy but my switch toe side is WAY stronger than my regular toe side.
Ahhh, my mistake. I missed that when I first watched the video.... But your switch riding is awesome. Well done sir!

Hey Andy, don't intend to quit anytime soon. I will say that my riding now is more for my health, so I tend to not push the new stuff much. I'll leave the getting hurt stuff to the young guys... Knock on wood.

Banana George is an inspiration for sure.
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
All hail the "house of style!!" Shaun is for sure an inspiration to me.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-17-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
"He brought his riding back so well that he took 4th last week on the pro-tour against the best riders in the world"
Yes, even the great Shaun Murray must come to the realization that he is getting "old", several years ago he would have won against the best riders in the world, seems like age is creeping up on him. Also, if you are better after the age of 35 than you were at 25, you just did not reach your potential at the earlier age for whatever reason.
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-19-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
^^whack
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-19-2011, 10:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"He brought his riding back so well that he took 4th last week on the pro-tour against the best riders in the world"
Yes, even the great Shaun Murray must come to the realization that he is getting "old", several years ago he would have won against the best riders in the world, seems like age is creeping up on him. Also, if you are better after the age of 35 than you were at 25, you just did not reach your potential at the earlier age for whatever reason.
I think you completely missed the point man.. The fact that Shaun Murray got 4th on the pro tour at 35, means that he is DEFYING his age. Also the level of competition now on the PWT is way more intense than it was 7 years ago, hell even 2 years ago. I think its amazing and in inspiration that Murray can still reach that level.