Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-03-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
i'm about to purchase an oil-changer. i'm leaning toward the manual pump ones. i have an overton's catalog in front of me. i need some recommendations on which one's work the best. and is there a better (cheaper) source than overton's?

thanksdayne
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-03-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
I've used that "Tempo" thing (about $50) for three years and it works fine. Don't know of any place cheaper, but local stores (e.g., Boaters World) might have it to save shipping (of course, then you'd have to pay sales tax).
Old    leggester            03-03-2003, 2:18 PM Reply   
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearch?keyword=oil%20changer&advanced=YES&sear chDeptId=6

Anywhere from $500.00 to $20.00

I use a manual pump without a reservoir. A couple gallon milk jugs does nicely for me and doesn't add $30.00 to the cost.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
I bought the Pela 6000 Oil Extractor from Overtons last summer. It works great - change oil in my boat, transmission fluid, oil in one of my cars, drain the bilge in my jet ski, empty the tank of my water rower, and even start the siphon for draining the gas out of my boat (which is not recommended - BTW). The only negative is that it's rather slow - although maybe not any slower than manually draining it (depends on the viscosity of the fluid). Also, although they make it appear as though you pump it 10-20 times and the oil drains, in reality you have to pump it every 30 or so seconds. Nevertheless, I would give it a thumbs up.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
One other thing - DO NOT buy the one you attach to a drill. It doesn't work - at all - and even the guy from Overtons admitted they are junk. I returned it and bought the Pela instead.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-03-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
Get one that works by a vacuum resevoir rather than pumping the fluid directly. I had a pump style one and everytime I used it for cool oil or higher viscosity fluids, it was non-stop work. If you can find one, a surplus vacuum pump and a big jug works great and can often be found for the same $50-70 price as the manual ones.

And the drill pumps are indeed crap
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-03-2003, 4:10 PM Reply   
I use a drill pump and it works great. I messure the oil I get out and it comes to 5 qrts.
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-04-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
i have a drill pump, and haven't had any success with it. is there a trick to it? thanks fellas,
for the input i'm leaning toward the pela. thanks for the link matt.

laterdayne
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-05-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
I get the oil hot, hook it up to the drain line, tape the drain line to the drill pump and start sucking. I did try to drain the oil one time without getting it hot, it didn't work very well.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
I just use my garden hose through the drain plug. But a V-drive isn't as easy. Whatever you do get the oil atleast warm or you'll wait forever!
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-05-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
i have a v-drive so i need a vacuum style. this is the one i decided on. skilimited.com had it cheaper than anyone $44.95. i'll have to get back to y'all w/ a rating. laterdayne
image/bmpoil changer
oil changer.bmp (47.1 k)
Old    6more            03-06-2003, 5:58 AM Reply   
I haven't used a drill pump for oil changes, but I have used it for transmission changes and didn't have any problems. I agree with Face Planter that it is nice to be able to measure your liquid so you know how much to put back in (especially with trans fluid).

If you use a drill pump, be sure that you don't run it dry. From what I understand, it is very easy to burn out the impellor if it is run dry for very long.