Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
Has anyone been on this board? I have been looking at the specs and it looks like it is packed with features that I like in a board. I've looked around for one to demo but so far haven't found one locally. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has had experience with it.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-12-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
I think i've answered this one a couple of times now - it seems not too many people have actually ridden it :-)
It's been my ride for the last 6 months and I love it. It's REALLY poppy, and the landings are really really soft. if it's not on edge it can slip out a little though, until you get used to it. It's probably the only board I've ridden that I wouldn't put a beginner on, but it's fine if you have decent edge control.
I would be hesitant to buy one without trying it first, i don't think it would suit everyone. For poppy wake to wake riding it's awesome.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
Thanks Alice. Sorry to make you repeat yourself. I looked around for reviews and found precious little, so your insight really helps!

I am currently riding a LF Shane, which I find a little too grippy with those cupped fins. I love the edge hold and pop of the board though. My previous board was an 06 Fish, which was nice and loose and poppy, and I have been missing the more forgiving feel.

I had tried a Lyman and liked it, but when I saw the specs on the Groove it looked like it had a bunch of features that I had been looking for. I think it's going to be a good board for me and my riding style. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
PS: for anyone interested, I found the 09 Grooves on sale at wakenskate.com for $254 shipped
Old     (robmcfarland)      Join Date: May 2008       08-13-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Here is my two cents....

I rode the fish back in the day...then to the shane..... now on the groove. Happy with my choices.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Sweet - I feel good about this!
Old     (wakeordie)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-13-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
broke it on a wake to wake 180 and i weigh 145
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-13-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
chris, all boards break. and pretty much ever wakeboard is made the same besides some of the newer companies and high end core boards
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2009, 9:51 PM Reply   
sorry to be off topic, but does anyone find the fish really grippy? I rode it and hated it! I felt like i was too locked in to the point where it was not even fun and more scary!
Old     (wakeordie)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-13-2009, 11:39 PM Reply   
it was the 1st jump that i did with it when i got it
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2009, 5:45 AM Reply   
Most people including me find the Fish to be lose and skatey. Nice and tight on edge but loose and forgiving when neutral and soft on landings with that huge keel.

Chris - it sounds like you got a defective board and I would presume it would be a simple warranty claim.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-14-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
The Groove looks like it has similar bottom features to the Fish. Those that have ridden it, do you get the same feel. I pulled my Fish back out this year and rode it about half the year and I really like that board. Great pop and nice landings. I think it is pretty loose overall.
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
how does the groove compare to the watson w/o center fin as far as speed, looseness, and pop?