Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Got an 07 5.7L Mercruiser Black Scorpion with fuel injection. It by no means has trouble starting, but it takes longer fire than any modern auto engine. Prob like 3 seconds. Doesn't make too much off a diff when cold or hot. I have to tell pretty much every new driver to let it crank for a little more to get it started. Just seems slow for a fuel injected engine.

I'm not giving it any extra gas in neutral (I don't even see a way that I can do that on this boat).

Is this normal?
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-13-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
are you letting the fuel pump prime?
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-13-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Mine does it too. Doesnt bother me really, but when somebody new drives it they usually stop cranking before it starts. Hot or cold...I have always thought this was a little weird to. I have had mine for four years with no adverse problems.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-13-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
If I go straight from off to start my black scorp seems to crank a little longer, but still not 3 seconds, if I turn it to on and wait until the warning beep goes off which is about a second or two, then it seems to start a little quicker. I pretty much do that in any vehicle with an electric fuel pump, I think its just habit from driving diesels with glow plugs, of course no glow plugs in the boat motor, but in my strange mind it gives the fuel pump and ECU a little time to prime and go thru its checks before firing it up. If we have been surfing though, which I feel works the motor harder, it will take a bit longer cranking to fire.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
My Indmar Assualt 325 does the same thing as does a buddies GT-40, just normal i guess.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Good to know. And no, I don't let the fuel pump prime, never really thought of that, but maybe a good idea.

Is it normal to not have the option to rev it in neutral?
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-13-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I think Scott hit the nail on the head. Turn your key on and let the fuel pump build up pressure within the system. Cycle the key at least once or twice (turn key on, let pump run several seconds, turn key off) and the problem should go away. If not, depending on hours(maybe about 300 or so) it may need a tuneup ??? or something else very sinister may be going on...
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Todd, you can rev your engine in neutral.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Okay, gotta find out how. Has mystified myself and 2 other boat owners so far. I'll have to poke around some more.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-13-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have a Malibu with the Indmar Monsoon 340, does the same thing as does my buddies and a few customers that have expressed the same concern. Nothing to worry about, it the nature of the beast. I, along with many others has jut accepted this as the norm. Boat has doen this since new, 260 hours later, not change.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I've been in Malibu's with the 340 monsoon. Some do it, some do not. Mine does not. I would be concerned about fuel pressure or something if yours takes longer than normal
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Todd what type of throttle do you have? There should be a means to put it in nuetral. Mine has a little silver button that you pull out so it doesn't go in gear. Other throttles I've seen you pull the throttle towards you.

Upload