Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-08-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
I just installed the Fusion tower speakers with the blue LEDs to match the blue neons in the boat. After install a buddy of mine says 'your probably going to get pulled over after leaving the bars if the cops see those' his reasoning is that you are not allowed to 'mimick' a cop boat, the blue LEDs do just that.

any truth to this?
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Different laws in different places, but it may be more of a problem with the color of the lights, navigation lights at night are green and red so the other vessel can see what direction you are traveling. Not likely because you mimic a cop boat, check your local reg's.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-08-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
I believe it was Mikeski that had blue LED's on his Wetsounds and received a ticket for them. He has since changed to white. So yes, you can piss off the cops with blue.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Same thing applies on the highway as well. I tried to keep all of my LEDs inside the boat and I really wanted to put them in my vents but didn't due to the nav light confusion.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-08-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
In CA it is definately against the law and you are begging to get pulled over.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Pretty sure it's a potential problem everywhere you go so make sure you don't turn em on when the cops are out. On my lake they never make it out past 5pm so here it's no biggie.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
Whether they are legal or not in your area, running them will increase the attention your boat gets. I wouldn't run with them in any body of water that could be patrolled at night, especially after pulling away from a bar.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-08-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
I might add a separate switch to the neons on the speakers then vs the interior neons. Maybe use them while at the bar, but not while moving.

I almost always have a DD, but I still don't want a ticket.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Probably depends on where your at at the time. Around here, in WA, OR or ID, it wouldn't be an issue on the smaller lakes. But if we're out on navigable waters where the Coast Guard patrols, ie; Lake Washington, Columbia River, or the Snake River, I'm pretty sure it would be a problem.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Technically, you are not allowed to run any lights other than navigation lights while underway. That is a USCG law.

Smaller lakes will have there own laws. But like someone said earlier, you are just drawing attention to your self. I would only have those lights on while anchored or beached.

I would also check with local LE to see what they think.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
X2 on local law enforcement. Flashing lights is a big no-no, but most officers will use their own discretion sometimes. I know lots of law enforcement officers that don't nit-pick the small things, but then again you are drawing attention to yourself.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
Not sure about Ohio.

It's a big no-no in California.

Harbor Code 652.5(c)

http://www.saccourt.com/criminal/bailsch/misdbail/harborcode.asp

In Sacramento the fine is $2,700!

Luckily mine was a sherrif, the fine was ONLY $128, what a deal...
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
Stewart is correct- only nav lights and an anchor light are permitted. Red, blue, orange, green etc will all get you a ticket.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Odds are high you will get pulled on any public lake.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-08-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
Hey Nate, you don't by any chance go out of Rossford Marina do ya? I have the orange supra and am always out by the island where everyone wakeboards, don't know if you've seen me out there or not?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
I steer away from anything that may draw attention to the Po po and get me pulled over. It always makes me nervous when I get pulled over. Many thoughts cross my mind such as "did I remember to grab enough jackets?" or "was my fire extinguisher charged when I checked it 4 months ago?"

But on our lake, there is little cop presence at night, but they seem to be in every slough during the weekend. Of course, now we ride in the afternoon on weekdays 98% of the time, so I rarely see them anymore.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-09-2009, 5:41 AM Reply   
Andrew, I do dock out of Rossford Marina. I have the white and blue Moomba. I have seen you guys at the cut quite a bit!

I think I am going to install a switch for the speaker LEDs separate from my neons. That way I can turn them off at speed. I don't need any extra attention.
here is a pic of my boat. When do you plan on getting in the water?
Upload
Upload
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
Ha did I ask you guys to ride behind mine that one day it was just me and my brother? I don't know when I'll be out cuz the boat is getting gel coat repair where it cracked by one of the gas caps. Hopefully I get the boat back before May because I planned on taking it to Dale Hollow the second weekend that month. You have your boat in yet?
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-09-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
Yes, now that you mention it, that was us...

No kidding, Dale Hollow! A bunch of my buddies are going there in May. I think it may be the third weekend in May though.

My wife is pregnant and is in the hospital with some complications, bed rest. All is well, but it has stopped me preparing the boat. I am not sure when I will be in the water. The little guy is scheduled to come in the last week of April so I imagine I might have a late start to the season. At least the water will be warm by then!
Are you guys renting one of the Big Footers? I went to the Hollow last year. It is awesome! We had 3 Big Footers.... have a blast!
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-09-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
nate, hope everything is well with the wifey and the lil man.....it was good to see you @ the boat show...

andrew from club royale
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-09-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Thanks Andrew!

It was nice seeing you again too.

I can't wait for the year that I finally get to buy a new boat from you guys. Maybe she will let me as soon as I get the little dude up on a wakeboard and explain to her that the only way he can go pro is with a new and loaded ride!
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-09-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
sounds good man....all the best to you and the fam.....
Old     (shwiezz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-09-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Nate,
All the best to you and your wife. Our thoughts are with you!
Jay
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
I have my tower LEDs wired to a seperate switch I can turn off independently from the rest of the LEDs. I normally leave the tower on while parked not underway. I don't need the extra BS having to deal with the water pork. You just never know if you are getting pulled over by a good crew of decent guys or a bunch of small penis super-ego jackholes.

Bottom line is better safe than sorry.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hey man good luck with your wife hope everything turns out alright. I believe we're renting out of Sunset Marina and getting a 75 foot houseboat. I'm going down the the 11th through the 15th so i'm praying I get the boat back by then. I'm sure I will see you out there on the river this summer.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-09-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
sunset marina is the best have been there prolly 5 times.......
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
I still like lake cumberland way better than Dale Hollow though. Just the lake level needs to be raised before I go back even though it's still probably 100 foot out in the big part.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-09-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the support guys!

I recently read a WW post where people were praising Lake Norris (aka Chuck Norris?) I have heard that this lake is calmer than Cumberland or Dale Hollow. Plus, if you get lucky enough for a rare sighting of Chuck Norris...bonus! I heard he invented a new trick, the roundhouse tantrum to revert last year.