Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-04-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
My Buddy just bought this set of Boss X-630 for his illusion tower, but now is having secound thoughts. He hasn't heard them prior to buying them, but really liked the look and heard Boss Speakers were really good. I myself have heard other Boss Speakers and told him they were clear and loud.

Could you help him with your input as well.

Or any other Boss Speaker input feedback would be great.

Thanks Brannon
Old    mgg            03-05-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
I have these speakers and they are decent. The quality of the cans was not that great. I hope your friend has better luck. I am running 300 watts to each channel and that seems to be plenty. Last season when I put them on they seemed like they were popoing a little bit but that may have been do to a bad fuse. All in all I like mine. Boss used to use MB Quarts and now they use Speaktrum. I am going to add some addictions when I can afford them. Mike
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-06-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
Come on some one has to have some feed back on these speakers!
Boss has been around for a long time so I know more than one person has heard them. Any feed back, good or bad.

By the way Mike thanks for your responce.
Brannon
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Do they have the MB's or the Spektrum speakers ? I have heard the Quart-Boss setup and they sound terrific. They're not gonna reach the rider but sound great around the boat. If they are the new ones you might have a tough time, I dont think they have been out too long, but I've been curious about them as well.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-07-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Hey guys, thanks for some advice for my friend. I talked to him and he likes my NVS speakers so I think he is going to send his Boss speakers back. He's going to order a pair of Addictions from Duane. By far that is the best choice anyways.
Brannon
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Brannon, have your buddy take a look at http://www.wetsounds.com Figured I would give him some more options, to make his decision even more complicated!! If he is looking for the best sound, output and most speaker for his money. Have him look at the PRO 80. If he is wanting the loudest and cleanest tower speaker out, have him look at the PRO 485.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-07-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
"If he is wanting the loudest and cleanest tower speaker out, have him look at the PRO 485."

That's a pretty steep claim Tim!

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
how much do those wetsound 485s run for?
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-07-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Leo - they are $1649 a pair.
http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/PRO485_features.html
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Joe, I Agree 100%. I'll put it this way. I would never make any claims unless they were based on facts. . I really didn’t want to post on here yet until we were shipping products out and guys could give their own take on it, but figured I would give some guys some options now!! Give me a couple weeks as I have some speakers going out to some guys who will be happy to post their take. So it won't be just my opinion. Our slogan is "Hearing is Believing" Trust me, Once you hear them you will become a believer. Take a look and read a little about us. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/faq/faq.html .
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-07-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Tim thanks for the advice, I will have my friend look into the wetsound speakers. I would have to agree with Joe and tell you that it is a pretty steep statement that the wetsound speakers are the loudest and cleanest speakers out. I haven't heard them yet, but NVS is straight up loud and clear to me.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
Brannon, No prob. Yeah, there are a lot of loud tower speakers out there for sure. All of them have their own unique sound and design. Our design is different in that the design is a combination of multiple aspects. Not just Loud and Clean but good sound quality, Light, Quick Disconnect and built for the elements.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
At $1600, they better be the best on the market. I would like to hear some first...I guess living in Louisiana limits my demo ability.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-07-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
How light is light? The speaker configuration is remarkably similar to NVS, magic cone material aside. The quick disconnects sound cool.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-08-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
Leo, We are based out of Texas. Our rep travels to LA a lot. Shoot me a PM and I can get a demo for you. Psyclone, the PRO 485 is 33 pds and the PRO 80 is 13 pds. That is each. We have been in engineering and development for these speakers and the rest of our yet to be released line for almost 3 years. With the goal to be the first HLCD on the market. As murphy's law would have it. Took longer than we wanted. I give props to the others who were able to bring HLCD spks to market before we could. But I guarantee you we have had this type of design long before any HLCD hit the market. There are a few local riders on the out skirts of Austin who have seen our red and white supra that was our test mule on some of our secret "spots" over the last few years that can back it up.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
I don't want to sound like a skeptic here, but I guess that's not really possible because I'm a little bit skeptical.

Each 10 inch speaker on an NVS 1010 setup has over 50% more surface area than an 8 inch speaker, and each NVS unit requires double the RMS wattage of the similar Wet Sounds unit.

I believe 100% that the Wet Sounds 485 would blow any 6x9 or 6.5 based tower speaker out of the water, but it's a stretch to believe it will it will outperform a pair of properly amped 1010s.

Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-08-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Joe, Yes, a 10 inch speaker has more cone area than an 8 inch. But that is comparing apples to oranges. I never compared ours to any other speaker system. I also said "loudest and cleanest". If I had just said loudest. I would understand you being skeptical. But, If you compare apples to apples as in similar size drivers. Yes I feel that ours is the loudest and "cleanest" in that category. Maybe that makes more sense. Loud is one thing. But just having volume is not the end all. I personally think that clean volume with all of the spectrum covered sounds better then just loud. Like I said give me a few weeks and let some of the guys that are getting some play with them and maybe even one of them is near you so you can hear for yourself. Thanks.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-08-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Tim- Any dealers in Idaho ? Id love to hear a set of these. Ive been looking long and hard for tower speakers but am leary of horn drivers due harseness in music clarity.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-08-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
KG, sent you an e mail.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-08-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
well I think that the wetsounds would be a comparable 808, but after hearing the 1010s on full blast I doub't they come close. I also don't see how there would be a quality difference sense both are using horns.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-08-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Nate, saying that a horn is a horn is like saying a sub woofer is a sub woofer and they are all the same. It would be like saying a 12 inch flea market sub will put out just as much bass as a JL 12 W7 of MTX 9500. Because they are all 12 inch subs.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-08-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
We are getting a set of Wetsound's Pro 80's and a set of Pro 485's. We are gonna do some side by side test's with some other HCLD speakers as well and we will let you know how they sound.

Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-09-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
Grant-Please let us know when you fire those up. I cant think of anyone better to test these out except for obviously myself. This will be sweet !! A true Horn shootout !!! May the better system win.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
I had skylon defon III's and very, very happy with the HUGE sound that comes out of them. However, I recently upgraded to liquidtrends (www.liquidtrend.net) 6X6.5 in a fiberglass towerbox. WOW is all I can say. Something that I don't see in this posting is the amount of watts pushing these. I big, big difference in any speaker is what's pushing the tunes....Keep this in consideration.
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-11-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
Responses to above points...sorry it is a bit long.

Ken,

You are absolutely correct. The elements needed to achieve clean output is an amp that is truly a high powered amp (you will know it's a high powered amp or not by seeing what amperage they require for fusing and what gauge of power wire they require)...as well you need a quality head unit that has a high voltage signal output (preferably 4 volts or better)...then it is about having the energy available to supply the current demand which would result in additional batteries and even a capacitor or two. More so, it is also about having a speaker designed to deliver lots of output with using as little power as possible.

As Tim has alluded to about the NEW Company www.wetsounds.com I am also going to touch on our products to only open that door of other "options." Again, this is not to say that other products are not good enough, but rather I just want to explain hoping that it will help anyone in their quest to find good solutions.

Nate,
With regards to the 1010, it does sound incredible. They have a very strong bass response which is obviously because of the woofers driving the lower frequencies are 10" woofers, (the more cone area dynamic). Originally, we thought about pursuing that concept, however, we decided that the 8" application would be as big as we would go based on the concerns of weight; head-room (not amp head room); and power needed to drive them. Keep this mind, though, bass is omni directional and it takes more power to drive that energy at greater distances than higher frequencies. This is why car alarms don't have woofers to alert people but rather piezo horns that produce a brutal high pitch ring. The reason that I bring this up is NOT to say that having 10" is a bad thing but rather, that having a stiff and light woofer membrane (cone) and having a quality designed crossover to effectively match each octave will help deliver a quality, enveloping sound. The key is delivering all frequencies to the rider at the same time, which is where the crossover comes in.

Simply put, our PRO485's will give any other product a run for their money without sacrificing too much of anything. The bass is transient and accurate. The horn is designed to meet concert standards... (Not exaggerating) With the drivers we developed a proprietary woofer cone called EFG. It is a composite of epoxy and fiberglass. It is because of this material that we will withstand harsh marine conditions but yet still maintain that light, rigid character that you look for in a cone. But, as mentioned earlier, we designed a crossover network from the ground floor that perfectly matches these two transducers so that you get that synthetic, smooth response with no gaping holes in the music. It will deliver a punch at 80ft and can easily be heard 150ft.

We pride ourselves on our designs but acknowledge and accept compelling designs in the marketplace. There are lots of good products out there, including the 1010 and at the end of the day; it is going to be up to you to determine what is important to you when comparing products. Whichever direction you choose I just hope that you are happy with it with no buyer's remorse.