Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-20-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
I've been keeping my boat in the garage, uncovered, for the past year, and it seems to be doing just fine, but here is my new concern - I just got a new golf cart (battery powered), and we are keeping it in the garage also. We are supposed to keep the automatic charger on it when not in use. I have noticed a new smell in the garage since we got the golf cart, and I'm thinking it may be a little hydrogen from the batteries being charged. The question is if it is hydrogen, or what, and will it be harmful to the interior or gelcoat finish on the boat?
Old    bobbymucic            09-21-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Hydrogen gas and oxygen gas can be produced during battery charging, but newer batteries have valves that try to keep the gas from escaping, allowing them to help regenerate the cells. You couldn't smell these gases if they do escape; they are both odorless. But they will escape, and this is why your battery terminals can corrode.

Does the smell remind you of rotten eggs? Then it is hydrogen sulfide, a product of overcharging/heat.

I'm not to sure if it will harm your boat. I've heard of people placing sacrificial materials near batteries to compensate for any gases coming off..Maybe a couple of pennies on top of your batteries?

I assume that you got a "smart" 3-stage charger, so it just maintains a float charge? That should help with the heat and overcharge

Old    whitechocolate            09-21-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff: What are you powering with golf cart batterys. and Where in your SAN are they mounted? can you post a photo?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-21-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
grant, looks liek he bouht a golf cart, which is powered by battery. Not golf cart battery's in his boat.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-21-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
Whitechocolate,
Step away from your boomin' speakers and read Jeff's post. He said he has a new golf cart (battery powered) so I'm pretty sure he's powering his golf cart with his golf cart batteries!!
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
Nice Wakeshoe!!
Old    whitechocolate            09-21-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
Woops My Bad
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-21-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
No problem, whitechocolate - I just had to rib you about your sounds. From the other thread it sure sounds like you have some awesome volume on your boat.