Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
I was gonna call Clarion 310-327-9100 but before I did I wanted to see if any one was or has used the New Clarion marine head unit (CDM4) with last years remote's . I was thinking about changing out my XMD-3 to the CDM-4 and I wanted to make sure my remote's would all still work.
Clarion has been pretty good about making the new head units retro fit with the older remotes
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/219225.html?1113503374

Last post
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Grant,I believe J-rod has one and works with the old remotes...or maybe Evan?Not sure but either Evan or J-rod has one and works with the old remotes.

Why are you going with Clarion?My Pioneer is So much better then the POS clarion.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Grant-
I am running the CMD4 w/ the new remote...I was under the impression the the old remotes didn't work, but I don't remember where I heard that. I would definitley give Clarion a call. The new remote requires a larger hole for mounting. I can only use the transom remote for volume control because of the IPOD.

Ed- We pretty much have to stay with the Clarion for the SAN's because of the size and location (in the arm rest)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
REALLY??

I thought my Pioneer HU was a lot smaller,the remote is just square instead of this oval shape,but damn near the same size remote.
Old    stereor102            02-03-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
yes it works!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Why is clarion POS? I have had a couple different clarion headunits in cars and never had any trouble. What am I missing?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-03-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Jon.... The ones in boats are JUNK. I've had 2 and they've been nothing but problems. My last one wouldn't read CD's from day one, my second one will skip songs and mute on it's own (ask ED about this deal...) I'm not sure what's causing the problem yet, but I may not be inclined to track it down. I may just replace it.

FYI: Grant, The XMD-4 seems to work fine with the old remotes. Jarrod's '05 X2 came with the new deck. My '05 came with the old deck. Same remote set-up. Incidently... He hasn't had any of the problems that I have, yet.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-03-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
I would suspect that the round remote without the display would work, not sure on the oval unit? Can anybody confirm?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Evan,I spent sooo much time trying to figure it out and then I gave Clay a chance to mess with it and nobody knows why that happens......needless to say I got a pioneer and my troubles are over.Not worth it bud,just change the HU.

Mikeski,

quote:

Jarrod's '05 X2 came with the new deck. My '05 came with the old deck. Same remote set-up. Incidently... He hasn't had any of the problems that I have, yet.

I think you got you confirmation
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-06-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
Big Ed, Hey thanks alot for clarifing that the Clarion HU is a "POS". Wish you would have disclosed that before I bought one from you.
Caveat emptor
Andrew

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2006, 1:09 AM Reply   
To answer my own question Yes the new CMD4 will work the older clarion remotes, This information was directley from Clarions marine division.
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
C.I.E/Big Ed
Are these issues strictly with the lower end units in the boats, or do the boats usually have the CMD4 down your way?

If not is there any experience with the CMD4?

I like the idea of it having its own sealed setup. It seems over the years I have had issues as moisture etc is alwys present in the "bubbles" that are built for the boats, thus issues down the road with reading the CD etc. And no one seems to offer similar, at least that I know of.

Thanks
Jase
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
BTW. I was shown a retro fit adaptor plate that fills the gap that the XMD-1 and 3 will leave when you install the CMD-4
Its called a few diffrent thing's
#1 XM-ADAP-R
#2 CMD4 Retro-fit adapter.”

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/clarion/audio/xmadaprretrofitadapterkitforxmd1rmarinestereo.html

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/clarion/audio/xmadaprretrofitadapterkitforxmd1rmarinestereo.html
Old     (mcaddyman)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-08-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
stereo king oregon has the trim rings two sided, one side black, and one side is silver. They are only 29.95 503-653-8088 ask for boat department

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
I got my CMD-4 installed. I bought one of the trim face plates from Dave @ Stereo King. After I saw it I felt pretty stupid. I was thinking I payed $29 for a peice of plastic I could have made in 10 min. LOL Im not saying it's not worth it it's just that I was to lazy to make one for myself. By the time you go to the plastic store and get a piece of plastic and cut it out and hack the hell out of it your better off paying Dave. (Dave now send me my royalty check) LOL . It was funny. I showed it to Clay and he looked at it and then looked at me and said "How much did you pay for this" I had to laugh as I told him. Ok enough of that.

I got the CMD-4 installed. I had to cut a bit of the dash to get it to fit, Ya see the CMD-4 fits into the "same size" hole as the XMD-1 or XMD-3 its just in a diffrent location its lower. So you have to cut the bottom side of the deck hole down about 1 inch. Dont worry the trim piece covers it up.

I like the index-ing rotery volume knob as well as the rotery bass and treble knob. The knob's are some what sitcky or hard to turn and they are not super secnitive you have to turn them quite a bit to get the volume up or down, I guess thats a good thing. Your not gonna be bumping the knob and accidently turning up the volume It seems like it will work great if your bouncing around on the water with this type of adjustment. With the bass and treble on the old XMD series you have to go threw a menu to set the adjustments. I like how the CMD-4 one is quick and easy even though you wont mess with them to much once they are set I still like them.
Setting the AUX sence is easy as well as setting the clock and most of the other adjustments.
And YES the remote's work. I dont know if its just me but the new head unit seems to have a bit more RCA power. All the experiance I have had with it has been in my garage and I cant play that loud in there. I havent taken the boat out. Next weekend I will have some real time on it but everything looks/sounds good for now.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
And one more thing the headunit has a fader right on the face of it. The deck has 3 RCA outputs Grey(front) Black(rear) and a New out put a Purple set of RCA's that are a Non faded full range and a Red set (aux)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-25-2006, 10:24 PM Reply   
Andrew,Not really sure how I missed your post but the reason Clarion is a POS to me,you will most likely never experience this with the HU you bought from me.Once I got a pretty serious system in my boat did I start having problems with the remote but as you can tell not everybody experiences this.(Grant is a perfect example,serious system and a Clarion HU and no problems with his remote tripping when the volume is turned way up like mine did.
I'm sure you are not having any problems with the HU you bought from me b/c if you did I would refund your money.You have to understand that I put A LOT of money and time in my system and for something to do what it was doing and can't figure it out why?...that was the outburst that day.Do I think my new Pioneer is better?ABSOLUTELY
Sorry if you are disappointed in my comments.From what I remember you were looking for a HU just like the one you bought from me and you got one in nearly perfect condition.

E-mail me if you have any issues....
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-26-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Big Ed, Check your email. Thanks for your post. all is well in WW land.
Andrew