Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-05-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any feed back on these towers?
I have a 99 nautique super sport.

(Message edited by zleartsu on January 05, 2010)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
We've sold quite a few of them to happy customers.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
I have one and am real happy with it, just use alot of locktight on the set screws....they raddle loose alot if not.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-06-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
I have one and I love it. I agree with Kelly. You either need to locktight the screws (make sure you use the locktight that you can undo) or keep an allen wrench on the boat. I tightened mine about every 2 weeks for the first 2 months and they stayed tight after that.

Great tower. There is a picture of it on my Moomba in my profile.

I'd highly recommend.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Are they the same as the krypt tower
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-06-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Upload

I installed the Aerial on my last boat. It is pretty solid and looks good. Only cost me about $700 on Ebay. Make sure to use extra backing plates on the interior bolts. You do need to go over with the allen wrenches every two or three times out to keep the rattles and shakes to a minimum. j.g.
Old     (ltwake)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
it is a great tower. we design them.
we supply all the tower to aerial. check it out. liantai.en.alibaba.com . if you need anything contact me at ltwakeboard@gmail.com
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Check my thread on the 1996 Tige project boat, I have a black one. Haven't gotten to ride behind it yet but so far its one of my favorites. I wasn't sure if i wanted to mount it on the side or on the top deck but then I noticed that almost all the manufacturers put it on top.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-19-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
I have one on my Maxum and it has been pretty good. I use blue loctite on all the little allen screws and it has stayes pretty tight. I pretty much had to tighten all those screws after every trip to and from the lake so the loctite is deffinately needed. I also got the black powdercoated tower and it is pretty badly faded after only 9 months. When I called the Aerial company direct they said I should have protected it with wax, wish I would have known that since now it is pretty much just flat black and looks really old. The only other issue is the rubber washer that go between the tower and the hull are already cracked and rotting. Again after only 9 months and not even summer months. I would definately not hesitate on buying another one.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Looking hard at this tower for my Maristar 230 VRS. It looks like it's very hard to beat for the price. The other tower high on my list is the Monster MT2.

The one thing that gives me pause about the Aerial is the fact that everyone claims to have to tighten the bolts before each outing. Why are they loosening so frequently? I don't see many similar reports about the Monster towers.

Does anyone have first hand experience with both and can comment on whether the Monster is worth the extra cash?

The other thing I was noticing was that the Aerial is described as "polished" some places and "anodized" in others. Which is it? Or is it available in both? The ones described as "polished" are generally cheaper so I'm thinking that it's available either way.

Has anyone considered having their Aerial tower welded up at the slip joints to eliminate the constant retightening?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-02-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Looking hard at this tower for my Maristar 230 VRS. It looks like it's very hard to beat for the price. The other tower high on my list is the Monster MT2.

The one thing that gives me pause about the Aerial is the fact that everyone claims to have to tighten the bolts before each outing. Why are they loosening so frequently? I don't see many similar reports about the Monster towers.

Does anyone have first hand experience with both and can comment on whether the Monster is worth the extra cash?

The other thing I was noticing was that the Aerial is described as "polished" some places and "anodized" in others. Which is it? Or is it available in both? The ones described as "polished" are generally cheaper so I'm thinking that it's available either way.

Has anyone considered having their Aerial tower welded up at the slip joints to eliminate the constant retightening?

Thanks,
Jeff
I loved my Aerial. Great looking tower. Check my profile pic. I only had to tighten up my bolts about the first 3-4 times out on the water and then they helf tight. I did it for good measure each spring. I'd completely back this tower. Great looking tower - it ****s on the MT2 for looks and I had no issues with it in 2 years and heavy use. They have both polished and anodized versions - pick which suits you based on your conditions and use.

+1 for this tower. The monster tower is solid but ugly. I'd go Airborne anyday.
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
I put one one my i/o over the winter and I'm happy with it. I've also put a towerbiminis over the top bimini on it. He is a picture of it folded up with the boot on it, I'll have to take one with it in use and post it too.
Attached Images

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
Is it worth going for the anodized version? Is it much lower maintenance? If I was going to have it welded I assume the anodized would be a bit of a waste since I'd be removing it at the joints.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
I put one one my i/o over the winter and I'm happy with it. I've also put a towerbiminis over the top bimini on it. He is a picture of it folded up with the boot on it, I'll have to take one with it in use and post it too.
I like the more classic look of the towerbiminis tops vs. the flat ones that Aerial offers. I don't like the $800ish price tag though.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-02-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Depends if you're in salt water or not. I had anodized and loved it.

I really, really don't think you need to weld this tower. I literally tightened mine like 3 times total and it was fine. Takes 5 minutes and I did it on the water. a 1 beer job. if you're worried about it - spend the $3 and get blue loctite and add it to all of the bolts and you'll never have to think about it again.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
I think you guys have convinced me to go Aerial Airborne vs. MT2.

Do the prices tend to go down in the off season? Not that they aren't already really inexpensive compared to others.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
im a installer for each. Ive installed far more aerial towers and im currently using an aerial airborne on my boat. I have the swivel board racks, a bimini, and a wetsounds pro485 on mine and its still solid. very little movement. Ive tightend mine probably 4 times and ive already put a 100 hours on the boat since i installed the tower. its very low maintence. And looks much better than the monster in my opinion
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsukuntryboy View Post
im a installer for each. Ive installed far more aerial towers and im currently using an aerial airborne on my boat. I have the swivel board racks, a bimini, and a wetsounds pro485 on mine and its still solid. very little movement. Ive tightend mine probably 4 times and ive already put a 100 hours on the boat since i installed the tower. its very low maintence. And looks much better than the monster in my opinion
Ok, thanks. Noticed your screen name. I'm in Baton Rouge.

I might get the wake rack on one side and the wake/surf rack on the other.

Does anybody have pics of their Airborne with a bimini (Any bimini, not just the Airborne one)? I don't particularly care for the over the top look of the official Airborne but I suppose it gives more headroom when walking through the boat. It's also priced well.

Can't find too many pics of it but it looks like a piece of plywood mounted to the tower in the pics I've seen IMHO:
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeff; 08-02-2010 at 2:22 PM.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-02-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
I really do like mine, but my only complaint is that after a year, it looks like crap as far as the color goes. I got the powder coated black one on ebay and it is totally faded, has a lot of water stains, and leaves a black residue on your hands when you touch it. My boat is an older I/O so if it doesnt look the greatest, its no biggie, but I would love to know how to get it looking good again. Havn't gotten too many suggestions so far. Also depending on where you are, ask for another set of hard rubber washers that go between the outside of the boat and the feet of the tower. After less than a year, mine have rotted pretty bad.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-08-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
That makes me wonder if the anodized finish would be of poor quality too. I don't go in salt water but would prefer not to add another maintenance item to the boat and have to polish/wax the tower a couple of times a year.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-09-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of a TowerBiminis custom fit bimini for the Airborne tower I did for one of my customers. IMHO the TowerBiminis custom fit is the only way to go.
Attached Images

Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-09-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
The Airborne is a solid tower.. Any H section tower is the way to go... We install close to 200 towers a year and offer 30 different towers from 10 manufacturers... If you have any questions reguarding towers and installation holla at me... We don't just sell them but install them correctly... Each tower has it's pro's and con's..

www.wakepromarine.com
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-09-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermeister View Post
The Airborne is a solid tower.. Any H section tower is the way to go... We install close to 200 towers a year and offer 30 different towers from 10 manufacturers... If you have any questions reguarding towers and installation holla at me... We don't just sell them but install them correctly... Each tower has it's pro's and con's..

www.wakepromarine.com
Thanks. How would you compare the Aerial Airborne to the Big Air Vapor? They look pretty much the same and are comparably priced.

Do you have any experience with Aerial's anodizing? Does it last and is it worth the extra $100?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-09-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-09-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
The Freeride doesn't really do it for me. I like the reverse arch ok on boats that were styled to go with it but I don't think it would look good on my Maristar
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-09-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Jeff.. The vapor and the airborne are virtually the same tower made in the same factory in china.. What you need to look for is side windshield contour... We try and match them perfectly so it looks right... We've installed vapors on boats that had no business being installed but that’s what the customer can afford.. So take your time and do it right.. You have to look at it till you sell it if it's the wrong one..

As for anodized towers. The way to go.. A lot less maintenance than the polished although the last 2 towers I got from Aerial/H2osports the anodizing had a lot of blems..

Send me a pic of your boat and I'll tell you what will fit..

Joe@wakepromarine.com

www.wakepromarine.com
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
Don't want to scare you away from the airbourne tower, I really like it, just not sure why it faded so bad so quick, but overall it was worth what I paid. I got it for $565 shipped off ebay with a last second bid on a wednesday. Like I said, I just wish I knew how to get the color back.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-10-2010, 5:20 AM Reply   
Steve.. If you have the polished tower, use Mother"s Mag Polish... You can pick it up at any autoparts store.. With a little elbow grease you can get the like new luster back..
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
Don't want to scare you away from the airbourne tower, I really like it, just not sure why it faded so bad so quick, but overall it was worth what I paid. I got it for $565 shipped off ebay with a last second bid on a wednesday. Like I said, I just wish I knew how to get the color back.
Not sure if you could compound out the fading on powder coat but it might be worth experimenting with.

Obviously you could have it repowdercoated but that would be several hundred dollars I'm sure.

You could strip it down and polish it but that would be a lot of work and may not be the look you want.

You could sand it lightly and paint it.

For a quick, short term fix, you could put something like Mother's Back to Black on it (Usually for rubber and vinyl). That wouldn't last very long but would probably make it look new for a couple of weeks.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-10-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
Buy the anodized. Well worth it. I had mine two years and it wsa in perfect shape when I sold it.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-12-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Finally pulled the trigger on one of these today. I just couldn't justify the money for a custom tower on a 10 year old boat. $1,320 shipped with 2 double Polk speakers, 1 wake rack, 1 wake/knee rack, and the speaker/light wiring seemed like a really good deal.

I went for the polished because aerial doesn't offer anodised racks so they would look a little different yet and I wont be in salt water anyway. I also figure blemishes and scratches can be polished off on a polished finish.

Unfortunately It looks like it's going to be harder to fold this thing down relative to the custom towers I was considering. I will have to fold it to get into my carport. They say not to attempt to fold it yourself but for practical purposes I will have to figure out how to do it without tearing anything up. Does anyone else fold an Airborne by themselves? If so, what's your technique?
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-12-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
I used to have this tower (pictured earlier in the string)--it was very easy to fold down and raise on my own. Loosen the two rear bolts with an allen wrench, take out the two front bolts and slowly lower back to the rear of the boat--put a towel or life preserver down to keep the tower cushioned while at rest. Also easy to lift back into position. It was not as fast to raise as the Wakeair I have on the Sanger but the Aerial was lighter and easier to push up on my own.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-14-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Make yourself some knobs for the 4 bolts that need to be screwed and unscrewed to drop it.. It will save a world of headaches not having to use an allen key, etc.. Just find some on a site and use em.. Best money you'll spend .
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-14-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Make yourself some knobs for the 4 bolts that need to be screwed and unscrewed to drop it.. It will save a world of headaches not having to use an allen key, etc.. Just find some on a site and use em.. Best money you'll spend .
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'd bet that these would work:
http://www.bulletlines.com/Wakeboard...obs-p/6674.htm

I will confirm before I actually purchase. At the same time I don't think I will mind keeping an allen wrench in the glove compartment to remove and loosen the bolts. We will see how it plays out and I will get the bolts with knobs if it looks like it will save some time/effort.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-15-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
Jeff trust me - if you're taking the tower down EVER and especially if you are doing it frequently and alone - get the knobs.. Doesn't matter the cost - just get em... The allen bolts on the tower have been known to strip and the last thing you'd want is to strip out one of the 4 that you use to drop the tower. Just fine the knobs and buy them. Aerial didn't have them last time I checked with them but that was over a year ago. They may now?
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-15-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
How about going with one of the Strogest towers on the market? And made in the US! Titan Tower by Star One Wake/Menace Water Sports.
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-15-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
I have one but it doesnt have the bottom extension, Great towers and they look good
Attached Images

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-28-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Got the majority of the install done. I still want to go back and fiberglass in the 3/8" plastic reinforcements I put between the aluminum backing washers and the inside of the hull and need to install my speakers.

I'm very mechanically inclined and have a decent amount of automotive and marine project experience but overall it was a pretty difficult install.

1) There are a lot of decisions to be made during the layout process that can have major implications later in the function, foldability and appearance. I think I successfully accounted for most/all of these variables before drilling the first hole but i spent 2-3 hours laying everything out, checking and re-checking.

2) I'm convinced that the bends in the main hoops of my tower were not exact mirror images of each other. I never disassembled them to actually try to measure the difference but my side pieces were 100% vertical and the boat was level side to side but I still had a lot of difficulties getting the geometry right so that it wouldn't bind when folding. I'm pretty sure the starboard side rear upright has a slightly more acute bend at the top than the port side. This made getting the geometry right a challenge. In the end I had to make compromises to get the tow point centered but the offset of the H section is not visible unless you break out the tape measure (i.e. the tow point is perfectly centered but the port side upright is inserted about 1" further into the H section than the starboard).

3) I had no flat spot in the front to attach the feet without making it look completely ridiculous. The end solution was to break out the angle grinder with a sanding disk and removing some material from the bottom 1/4 of each foot so that it didn't put pressure on a ridge in the hull. This came out pretty good and I finished the bottoms off with a 1" sanding drum in the drill press.

In the end I could not be happier with the lines relative to the boat's windshield. That aspect of the tower happens to be perfect for my '00 230 VRS.

The overall quality of the tower was decent but I understand why most OEM towers are brushed and anodized instead of polished. This bare polished aluminum scratches if you look at it wrong.

I'm happy with the results but If I had to do it again I'd probably get a custom tower from New Dimension or equivalent or I'd go with a simpler universal tower design like the Monster.

Here's a crappy picture at night with my phone
Attached Images