Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (gjacko77)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-13-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
Hey guys i'm looking to buy my first boat. I would like to know anyone's input on the 1987-1989 American skier. I have the opportunity to pick one up that is pretty cheap. The dirve train is in good condition but i'm scared because the engine hour tac stopped at 700 hours and we don't know when that happened.

The interior is pretty rough but i can reupholster that no problem. The floor is apprently composite... I'm taking the stringers are to??? Does anyone know if this is correct.

So for the most important question? How the wake on this little beast. She's 19 foot but the hull seems very flat in the back. This scares me a little bit. It does come equipped with a wakeplate though. Will that help with the wake at all. Here is a picture of a similar boat.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.grandsportcenter.com/images%252007/1988%2520AMERICAN%2520SKIER%252008_small.jpg&imgre furl=http://www.grandsportcenter.com/poob/poob2.htm&h=66&w=100&sz=3&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid =aP3LH701pD-76M:&tbnh=54&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAMERICAN%2BSkier%2Bboat%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den

So do you think that this has potetial to have a good wake. Should i wait and save up for a 2001 natuique hull or a Supra Sunsport??? The only downside with these two boats is that i'm going to have to replace the stringers in the near future probally. IF the Amer Skier has composite floor and stringer i won't have to replace them. Mind you the nautique and Supra will be about double the cost compared to the american skier. But i really like the open bow in the sunsport and wake on the nautque

I want a boat that is going to have a good wake. Will the american skier have any potential for a good wake? I'm tired of ridding behind my/g pals outboard 16ft fishing boat. Just got a new job and have a little money to play with now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I also have to be at 20ft exactly because at my one of the lakes i ride at they plum bob the boats when they measure em
Old     (gjacko77)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-13-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
Scroll down once you click the link to check out the pictures.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-13-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
i would save up for the supra or nautique. my mc is about the same as that one. the wake can be nice but its also fairly narrow and you have to sack it out alot which makes it take a lot of rollers and rough water into the boat. there aint a whole lot of room to move around in the boat either. the open bow of a supra would be great, and i heat the wake isnt that bad either with a supra. its a deep boat so, you could sack out a supra a whole lot.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2008, 11:24 PM Reply   
If it is close, it wouldn't hurt to go and take a look. Take your board along if you get to take it on the water, but as Nick said, it is a boat built for slalom and will likely produce a smaller wake. The 2001 was a slalom boat, but the wakeboarding wake has been proven over and over (was probably a good triple event boat back in the day). I have seen 2001's for this price and CC's tend to be pretty solid if you find one that was well taken care of. Supra's seem to have some issues with floors and stringers. Sounds like what you really want is a 2001 or a Sunsport. It is well known that either of those boats will make a nice wakeboarding platform, so you may want to keep looking for one of them.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
American Skiers were decent boats, but they don't have much freeboard. You would be much better off with the Sport in this thread.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/597235.html?1216047882
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-14-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
the boat will put out a decent wake. my profile pic is behind an '89 skier. It is more similar to a MC PS 190 than to the 2001, but all 3 were designed as slalom boats. The v in 2001 hull obviously makes a difference, but you can get a ridable wake out of a skier for sure.

BUT, you shouldn't pay that much for it...
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       07-14-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
I would second the Sport you can fit more people in it and with a sac in the back and some lead under the front seats it throws a pretty good wake. I have been very happy with the one I bought. I thought that year american skier had wood floors and stringers but I am not sure.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
I've been very happy with my 87 Supra Sunsport so far. Great through choppy water, no chance to swamp. Wake is good but needs about 1k lbs. I've heard stringer jobs on a Supra can be tough. There is an active thread here on WW for older Supra owners. Check it.

The Nautique is known for having a steep wake regardless of the weight.

Bring a screwdriver and tap it on the floors w/ a hammer. Check the engine mounts. If you can remove a 4-6 screws you can raise the rear seat up and it's a great indicator of the shape of the floors in the rear of the boat where most damage occurs. Walk aroudn slowly with your shoes off to feel for soft spots.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-14-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Third-ed on the Sport
Old     (gjacko77)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-14-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
okay thanks everyone for thier input i'm kind of shying away from the american skier. That sport nautique would be an absolute great boat for me. I really would like to stay at 20ft exactly though.

The lake my dad lives on doesn't allow anything over 20ft. This is where i would be doing all of my week day ridding. The other lake i would ride at doesn't have a limit but i only ride there on the weekends.

The sport is a over 20ft isn't it.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Yes, the sport is over 20. A 2001 is 19'6".

Try to find an 89 2001. They have several improvements that IMHO make them better than the earlier years.

Here's one in Bloomington, IL.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3010&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1988&y rend=1991
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
^^I'll second on the '89. It has the best of both worlds- std rotation engine (although the prop is still RH- the transmission reverses it) , 1.23:1 (I think that's the right gear ratio) tranny (versus 1:1), and muffler, but still retains the 2001 hull.
Old     (gjacko77)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-14-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
Well i think that i'll pass on the Amer skier and keep a look out for an 89 2001 nautique or even the sunsport if i can find a good deal locally. Everyone seems to really like the 2001 hull from what i've read on hear. I haven't really heard a bad thing about them ever on this forum besides rotten floors/ water logged foam, and rotten stringers.

I can replace these things since i've had to do that in my 1989 regal.

Thanks again everyone
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-14-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
the ski team im on at school has one, the wake is what you would expect from a 80's "SKI" boat