Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
I have a zx850.4 bridged down running my pair of wetsounds pro 485's! After playing for about an hour the speakers will cut off. I can cut the radio off, let it set for a few minutes and it will be fine. Is this normal? or what could be the problem
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
The amp is overheating. Install a fan on that amp and your problems will be over, I had to do that last year when I was running an 850.4.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Had the same issue with the same amp:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/593036.html?1214076550

I just installed a 12v fan from radio shack in the plexi. We'll see how it works this weekend.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-24-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Also make sure your amp is mounted vertically, not horizontally
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Sounds like I need to get some fans and my problems will go away. They are also right up against the side wall on the carpet so some spacers would probably be nice to get some air flow in behind the amps
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-24-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Problem can be one of 2 things both appear to be the same thing. One is an impedence issue (but that shouldn't be the issue here) the other is over heating. To start with instead of wasting your money on a fan just place 3/4" spacers at each screw mounting location to push the amp away from the wall. That should solve your issue. If its still over heating then add the fan.

Just curious is it a solid red light or does it flash from red to green?
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
haven't even noticed about the light, all I know is that it cuts off, let it set for a bit and then it's good to go!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I'm with N Adams on getting the amp off the wall so it can breath

I make these up with scrap carpet and 1x2

Upload
Upload
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Good call with the spacers and vertical mount. If the fan doesn't help I'll add those. With my calibrated hand it had quite a bit of air moving over the heat sinks. Impeadance is OK with my setup, but I didn't start having problems until 3 unique events happened:

1. Wife packed so much #@$! in there that it couldn't get any air. I took care of that problem

2. Got hot out. Happened on the first 90+ deg day. Had 40 hours on the setup (spring/early summer riding) before any issues popped up.

3. Didn't have any kids on the boat, and no one else around, so we cranked the DBots while we were riding. Sounded very good BTW until the amp shut down.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
How do you wire up the fans??
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-24-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Brandon,

Before you waste money on the fan. Look at what the light is doing. That will help us to tell you what to do.

The Kicker Amps overheat cuz the back of the amp is next to the carpet. Moving it away from the carpet solves the over heating issue. You realy dont need the fans.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
I will give it a try and see what happens! I don't know why the place installed them right up against the carpet anyway! Hope it works
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
^^^^b/c it's not an issue most of the time to mount amps directly to carpet. Secondly most installers don't really understand installing stereos in boats....there're not really paid to think, just install. Of course there are expceptions...some of which post on this board.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-24-2008, 10:46 PM Reply   
Yes amps do often require fans in boats due to the levels we play at in the open air the amps get very hot and if they are in a closed compartment where is all that wasted energy(heat) going to go but soak into the amp until it either goes into protection and backs down or cuts out. Ive had fans on all my amps for years and NEVER have shutdowns due to heat, in florida.
The way I did it was use the amp turn on signal from the deck to turn on a seperate relay that runs everything, all amps and all fans. Small computer size fans do no draw much but can be used to extract heat or force cool air over your heat sinks. Mounting away from the wall is all great but the heat sinks are usually on the sides NOT on the back.