Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (thangfly)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
have any one try surfing behind this boat yet.
I'm thinking of buying but not sure of the wake for surfing.
thanks
Old     (t_mann)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hi Thangfly Here are some pictures of the Falcon wake and wave. There were four of us in the boat with std ballast and about 800 lbs of lead. These are pictures of one of the very first Falcons at the dealer meeting. We were in Mission Bay in San Diego, that is why the wave looks so foamy. In fresh water it is pretty clean. We were pretty impressed with this boat. We did not think it would surf very well without a ton of extra weight, because it has a flatter bottom, but as you can see the wave was not bad. If you are looking for more of a surf boat that has a price tag that is still in the 40's maybe look at a Avalanche or a Typhoon. If you are looking for a great all around boat (Surf, wakeboard and ski) the Falcon is the ticket. Oh forgot to mention that I am from a Centurion dealership. Good luck with your search.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-20-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
The wake looks pretty big with a very long transition. The surf wave looks solid too, how long is the pocket?
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Troy!

These pictures are awesome I have a falcon on order and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about weight placement. Where did to have the lead?

Thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-20-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
800 pounds of lead is too much. Use more water ballast.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
It was a Centurion dealer meeting. I'm sure they have a handle on what's safe and what's not
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-21-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Ya, but here online stating that somewhere someone is using 800 pounds of lead and that sets a standard. Now that we find out it was at a Centurion dealer meeting. So then should everyone take that that much heavier than water ballast as accepted practice. I bet Centurion HQ wouldn’t stand up and make that recommendation.

I just wrote wakesurfing drivers instruction material for USA Wakeboard. In that instruction I address heavier-than-water ballast. A reviewer wanted to put a max limit on heavier-than-water ballast. I didn’t add that limit because then I would set the standard and that standard might not be safe in all situations.

Be careful with your heavier-than-water ballast it can sink your boat.
Old     (t_mann)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Hello All. Ron For wakeboarding we split the 800 lbs into both back lockers 400 each. We put one of us up in the bow then the driver and other passenger. For surfing we put all the weight in the back locker in the port side. Show we used lead because that was all that was available. Water will work the same as lead. The weight capacity of a Falcon (1725 lbs) allows for the use of 800 lbs of lead safely with just four of us in the boat and basically no gear. At the worlds we used lead, lead does have application when you don't have a lot of room or want to weight the boat all along the side so the length of the wave is longer. Please keep your boats capacity in mind at all times when weighting them, even with water.

Thanks
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
how does it compare to the Enzo SV220?
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Thanks Troy and Bigshow,

We are fairly green with our board sports so all information with respect to ballast is greatly appreciated!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-21-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Troy, Wow the Falcon is rated for over 1,700 pounds!

Agreed, as you’ve described ballast for the Falcon and assuming a crew of maybe four or so you are well within safety margins. You have to forgive me I’m trying to get a little safety religion. I was probably one of the worst abusers of capacity ratings. I've been working on cleaning up my act. So now I’m at the Wakesurf Mission Soup Kitchen ladling out hopefully sound advice and trying to make amends with the wakesurfing gods.

I appreciate your last statement about capacity plate rating. My fear is that someone is going to load up a boat with an Enzo sack, hundreds of pounds of lead, a jumbo crew, and then get in to trouble. I’m sure you’ve seen the video with the toy boat. When the toy boat is over filled with water it more or less stays at the water line. When they put a rock in the boat and then fill it with water it sinks.

Regards

Ed